PDA

View Full Version : do we have a pedal bike section yet?

lilws6
09-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Ok so i knew i had an old schwinn at my moms place that i thought i might try to fix up and start riding to work. i need some cardio and i figured this would be easy :goof i'm out of shape and it would probably kill me the first week. Any how i swung it by the local bike shop here at cycle smith in waukesha and he looked at it and laughed. Both the shifters are f'd the brakes don't work and the derailer is all messed. probably about $250 worth of parts lol i laughed too. its a schwinn i can spend that money else where so i'm looking for something that i or the misses could ride. I have a haro i ride on occasionally but i don't think i would like to ride it to work. I can't justify spending a huge amount on a pedal bike. a couple hundred maybe yes but the most i think i've spent was around $300 for my haro. looking for some options from you guys who ride alot i want to start and i know its a bad time coming into winter but i figured maybe bikes get cheaper? i don't know help a chubby brotha out lol. If it helps at all i'm right under 6' around 260 lbs the bike shop guy also said this bike would not fit me so anouther problem i may have. i'll stop babbling now:durr

pOrk
09-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Clist is your best bet, 300 is going to get you an 80's road bike or cheap mountain bike. What type of riding, just to get into shape riding on the street? Get a knobby tire bike, more resistance = more work out. I have a NICE Trek mountainbike I could sell you, but you won't get it for 300. Cheapest I could sell it for would be 5, damn near new condition and could get one from the bike shop for 8ish

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
09-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Donny, look at my 26" bike for sale here (http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?52053-26-quot-and-29-er-MTB-bikes&highlight=) I'll let it go for $500. Comes with everything listed for it. I'll even convert it back to geared before you pick it up

lilws6
09-24-2011, 01:58 PM
yea getting into shape is what i'm after. for winter i can go to the gym and do cardio but i think riding a bike would be more fun than just walking. i'll have to think on the $500 thats alot for a bike to me. i know there damn nice bikes but i'm a poor bastard

Korndogg
09-24-2011, 02:08 PM
$500 is cheap , lol

JC70SS
09-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Seriously, if you want to get into shape fast, do 30 mi every other day run for 1 min and walk for 30 sec to 1 min alternating. Eventually take the running to 1.5 min or 2. Biking will take you way longer to get into shape and then you don't have to spend the $$.

bikedad
09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Go back to that Cyclesmith in Waukesha. They have used bikes for sale there. I think they're even running some sort of special right now.
You should be able to find a decent crossover or hybrid for $300.

How tall are you? Road bike sizes run cm. Example: I'm 5'11" tall and I ride a 57cm frame. Mountain and Hybrid bikes are sized in inches typically.
I would probably take a 22" frame.

Here's something like I'm referring to as a Hybrid.....http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2527739656.html

(Edit: change mm to cm)

Prince Valiant
09-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Seriously, if you want to get into shape fast, do 30 mi every other day run for 1 min and walk for 30 sec to 1 min alternating. Eventually take the running to 1.5 min or 2. Biking will take you way longer to get into shape and then you don't have to spend the $$.The advantage of biking is no impact though especially for the larger guys...I'm a runner, but got a stress fracture in October. Swam while there was snow on the ground, biked since...haven't run more than a few hundred yards since the fracture. I will probably start back up in the next month or so though.

Of course, NOW might be the time to pick up a bike since it's the end of the season...but there's not much riding left unless you're hardcore about it.

Personally I like the biking because it's transportation; I'll bike 25 miles to work...somedays the wife picks me up, others I'll bike back to make it an even 50. I sleep well on those days. I also like the faster/road bikes...it encourages me to go on further ride and different places.

This year I've been going for greater consistency on the bike...more 25-40 mile rides than years past. Once in a while I'll do a 75 miler (basically the oak leaf trail, including the mileage to get to it from my house), but I've done it less than years past.

If you plan on putting on the miles, get a good bike with good components. Subpar stuff fails rapidly. I agree that the best way is to buy on craigslist....lots of very nice bikes sit around and do nothing. My bike was a 3000+, bought it used and with less than a 100 miles on it for 1000.

Next year I might make the jump to the most hated type of biker there is...recumbent. Faster, far more comfortable.....and with fairings and splash gaurds, dryer too so I can commute in the rain, probably keep warmer longer in the year. And of course, bike further on a a daily basis.

lilws6
09-24-2011, 02:42 PM
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2614722798.html

these decent?

Prince Valiant
09-24-2011, 02:55 PM
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2614722798.html

these decent?Great starter bike...if you find that you're riding *a lot*, at some point you'll want to upgrade. A bike like that can take some mileage. But if you get it and it collects dust, better to be out 145 bucks vs 800-1000 for a good one.

I'd get some street/road type tires on there...it'll make it more comfortable and faster.

lilws6
09-24-2011, 03:21 PM
i found an 820 as well i'm just assuming the 820 is newer than the 800? again i'm newer to this.

lilws6
09-24-2011, 03:23 PM
oh yea what size frame should i be looking for i'm right around 5'11" 260 Lbs if that matters?

Prince Valiant
09-24-2011, 04:18 PM
i found an 820 as well i'm just assuming the 820 is newer than the 800? again i'm newer to this.More or less. It's much the same bike.

oh yea what size frame should i be looking for i'm right around 5'11" 260 Lbs if that matters?
You'll want to try a 19" or 21" frame. You're right around that grey area where you could go either way. My recommendation would be IF you're looking to do significant trail riding, get the smaller frame. If you not really interested in heading off pavement, go with the 21" frame.

lilws6
09-24-2011, 06:35 PM
they should just make a 20" lol all the ones i'm finding on clist are 18" so the search continues. i don't know what i plan on doing yet. probably more street sidewalk type but we'll see what i come across

PB86MCSS
09-24-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't see the need to spend a ton on a bike personally unless you really plan to ride it that much (meaning many times a week for long distance). I bought a Schwinn at Target for about $200 and bike to work (well, try to) about once a week which is only a few miles. And a few rides here and there. I wouldn't mind a really nice bike if I want to spend 1k or so but can't justify it. A bike in the 200-300 range doesn't mean it's "junk" especially if you aren't biking 100 miles a week, IMO.

pOrk
09-25-2011, 08:30 AM
More or less. It's much the same bike.

You'll want to try a 19" or 21" frame. You're right around that grey area where you could go either way. My recommendation would be IF you're looking to do significant trail riding, get the smaller frame. If you not really interested in heading off pavement, go with the 21" frame.

Your suggesting a 21" frame? Holy balls, I am stretched on my 19" and same height as Donny...

Prince Valiant
09-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Your suggesting a 21" frame? Holy balls, I am stretched on my 19" and same height as Donny...I'm suggesting he might want to try a 21" frame, since ones body composition (leg vs torso/arm lengths) might make the the same frame feel very different to two people of similar height but differing builds. He might find the 19" more his fit, or maybe the 21...hard to say over the nets. Even if he bought one that's might be a little large sized, one can normally change a couple things to make it fit better.

lilws6
09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
i do seem to be taller in the torso so maybe a longer one would be better but i know the 18" i've been finding will be to small

HRSEPLA
10-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Go to a local bike store and Test drive a Road bike, a hybrid, a mountain Bike any other bike they got...figure out which one you like then narrow down what size you will need....THEN you can look for something used for sale.
Tina :)