PDA

View Full Version : Unknown parking ticket help

88Nightmare
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
So back in April 2010 I sold a beater pickup truck I had to a guy in st Francis. The sale was done in a hurry, but I remember doing a bill of sale. I do not recall removing the plates off the truck. Today I got a letter in the mail about an unpaid parking ticket on these plates, plates that I haven't used since April 2010 and expired in October 2010.

I looked the ticket up on the Milwaukee parking website and the ticket was issued to a 1990 ford ranger. The ticket was given in the 700 block of north 10th st, near the court house. It was a Monday, and I was at work nowhere near that location. So what do I do? Here's a few options I came up with...

I call Milwaukee parking to dispute it but lose because I have no bill of sale (can't find it anywhere) and don't have possession of the plates.

I just pay the $27 but risk it happening again and find myself right back in the same situation again,

Or I swing past the guys house (I remember where he lives) in st. Francis and see if my plates are on the truck, and if so, go ring his doorbell and try to politely talk to him about it, or just not approach him and call the local police about it after I confirm if he still has the plates.

The only documentation that I could provide to mpd to prove I didn't park there was my work schedule showing I was at work, but that doesnt prove I dont own the truck anymore. Not sure what to do. Suggestions?

Wagonbacker9
09-19-2011, 11:35 PM
They should be able to check the DMV and see that you no longer have the vehicle registered. If the new owner didn't re-title it that is going to cause you some hassle. I bought a car, and waukesha tried to come after me for the tickets (different plate number) after I bought it. Showed them my purchase date was after the ticket and they left me alone.

You REALLY shouldn't leave plates on car. If you don't find the bill of sale, honestly, I'd send a letter to the DMV stating you no longer own the vehicle, with a copy of the canceled check (assuming he paid by check?), then next time at least you'll have SOME kind of documentation.

88Nightmare
09-19-2011, 11:48 PM
I always take plates off of vehicles, however this sale was done in haste because I was in a rush to hit the road to get out of town. He paid with cash, no check. Why would I take a check from a stranger? It's pretty obvious he never registered the truck, because if he did, he most likely wouldn't need to have my plates on there.

I'm thinking I just need to drive past there and see if my plates are there, and then get in touch with local authorities. Then at least there is some police documentation when I try to fight the ticket with milwaukee. If I just settle the current matter at hand, who is to say he won't get another ticket with the plates in the future.... if he hasn't done so already. And I'm not looking to start a fight with the guy, I just want it settled amicably, without the possibility of the problem happening again. Ideally, I'd like to get possession of the plates.

88Nightmare
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
correction, after looking up the actual plate number, there is ANOTHER unpaid parking ticket on the truck that is dated even more recent then the august 29th ticket

Wagonbacker9
09-19-2011, 11:56 PM
It's pretty obvious he never registered the truck, because if he did, he most likely wouldn't need to have my plates on there.

You can title without registering in this state... and haste or not... I woulda gotten my plates off of it. No way around it because that woulda solved your problem before it became one.

As for the plates, if you can find the truck, take them. They're yours. At minimum I would call the municipality issuing the ticket and ask them what you can do. I could speculate all day, but I'm far from a law enforcement official. Get it from the horses mouth. If they tell you you gotta pay, they probably know better than anyone on here.

88Nightmare
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
in a rush, its possible to forget removing plates. Its easy to say what I should have done after the fact, though, huh?

Anyway, I'm a little hesitant to just walk up the driveway and take back the plates, even if they are in my name. I don't need this guy coming out with a shotgun or something, I mean afterall, it's St. Francis....

But I have some documentation now. I have that form done to show the plates have been "cancelled".

Yooformula
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
make up a bill of sale with just your signature with the date that you remember you sold it on and see if they accept it.

Rocket Power
09-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Contact the dmv and get the plates cancelled. When he gets pulled over they will take them off and most likely get a ticket as well.

88Nightmare
09-20-2011, 01:45 AM
my girlfriend checked the VIN at work... he never registered it. And the VIN was updated September 16th with a totally different name and city than who I sold it to, so the guy I sold it to must have just drove it around awhile, and sold it with never registering it. How convenient... both tickets that this truck got were prior to September 16th.

BR3W CITY
09-20-2011, 01:48 AM
call it in stolen, get your car back...re-sell, profit.

oh and delete this thread.

Wagonbacker9
09-20-2011, 02:32 AM
call it in stolen, get your car back...re-sell, profit.

oh and delete this thread.
Difficult when he doesn't have a title, and if provided by the new owner, the title in possession of the person who now has the truck, contains his signature.

88Nightmare
09-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Wouldn't matter... He sold the truck and the buyer registered it in their name already.

Well as long as I can prevent future tickets, I'm probably just going to be out the $50 bucks. Lesson learned.

05caddyext
09-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I would still try to fight the tickets as a matter of principle. And if you remember where the guy lives still give that information to the police. They don't need to know you already know that he no longer owns the vehicle. Call the local PD and tell them exactly what happened, that you left plates on a vehicle you sold on accident. Now there are unpaid parking tickets on the plates and you would like them back, but don't know how to contact the seller other than showing up at his door, which you would prefer not to do. This way the PD will go to the guys house and have to ask him about the truck. If he is not thinking or expecting it, he will most likely catch himself in a trap and will burn himself. Worth a shot. Sure it's your fault that you left the plates on there, but that doesn't then make it of for someone else to break the law with them.

88Nightmare
09-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Indeed.

I called mpd parking today, lady was pretty nice. I told her I filed paperwork with the DMV to cancel the plates and she said she will put the tickets on hold and scheduled an appointment with me to speak to her manager in person about it.

I told her I lost the bill of sale and she said that doesn't matter, they only accept NOTARIZED bills of sale. She told me to just bring as much proof as I can and explain my story to her manager.

What I plan to bring:
Copy of my work schedule which shows I was at work during the times the vehicle was ticketed (which could be argued I let someone borrow the truck, but still)
A copy of the form I filed with the DMV
And just my argument. I've owned 3 other cars since this truck and none of them had unpaid parking tickets. I take care of that stuff, so why would I just leave tickets outstanding on expired plates that are in my name when I know they are still tied to me?

My hearing is in November, so hopefully I'll have a positive update then.

-stew-
09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Good luck. COM Parking Enforcement is some KGB shit right there. An employee ID will open a lot of doors in this town, but not on a RHD Jeep...