PDA

View Full Version : paypal ?

JC70SS
09-18-2011, 02:07 PM
How can I sell something and be sure the buyer doesn't claim they never received the item and disputes it? This is a rather large sum of money I will get form a procharger.

Josepy
09-18-2011, 02:11 PM
How can I sell something and be sure the buyer doesn't claim they never received the item and disputes it? This is a rather large sum of money I will get form a procharger.

dont do it. make him send a certified check or tell him no deal.

Slow5oh
09-18-2011, 02:15 PM

I've always just made them do select "gift" that way they can't recall it

Holeshot
09-18-2011, 02:23 PM

agreed !

Crawlin
09-18-2011, 02:54 PM
yep, gift... or flip mini hd the whole transaction at the UPS.

at that point, you tell them to make the claim with UPS for missing parts, not paypal's responsibility

theavenger333
09-18-2011, 03:16 PM
sell the item. ship it and attach a tracking number, with delivery confirmation. done. i ship through the usps with paypal every week, never had a single problem. you input the package's dimensions and weight and print off the label

Wagonbacker9
09-18-2011, 04:10 PM
sell the item. ship it and attach a tracking number, with delivery confirmation. done. i ship through the usps with paypal every week, never had a single problem. you input the package's dimensions and weight and print off the label

This. Delivery confirmation should cover you with paypal. Just make sure they claim "non-receipt" to paypal, then show paypal the delivery confirmation records. At minimum, it is then the post office's problem, not yours. Likely, paypal will toss out the claim all together.

spooln30
09-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Yeah I got fucked three times that way. I don't use PP anymore.

lotsals1
09-19-2011, 12:01 AM
here is what happened to me ... I bought somethin... paypaled the money but didnt get my stuff.. put a claim with paypal they told me to wait 3 more days...nada!!! i called them again they told me they would refund my cash ... welllllll no! their safe transaction hype is bs. All they will do is reverse the transaction BUT if someone pulls the money out of the acc. you are screwed..
Paypal will not fork out your missing money. I would sell it C.O.D. only. there are so many loop holes in paypal and all the scammers know how to work them. Right now i have a guy trying to paypal me 2200$ for my Waverunner i told him I dont do paypal,,, he emails saying he is a ships engineer and is out on a ship now and claims he doesnt have online banking... lmfao! i emailed him saying if you dont have online banking then how the fuck do you have paypal.. Yes I am the one who is getting money but if i pull it out of my acc. then he files a bs claim with pp. pp will then put a lein on my acc. or charge it against my credit card attached to my pp acc. Paypal is a joke!!!!!!

Irish
09-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Damn that sucks! Thanks for the heads up!

mrz28M6
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
paypal is so crooked its not even funny!! go to paypalsucks.com and read how many people have gotten scammed on there and they even have former employees from paypal on there! very interesting reading!

Moparjim
09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I have never had a problem with Paypal, and have had them pay several claims when I didn't recieve items I had bought.

Selling via Paypal again I have also never had a problem, as someone said you ship it signature required delivery confirmation etc. If he tries to file a claim you have proof that you shipped it. Paypal will not pay a claim for anything other than flat out not received, if he argues condition, not as described, etc. he is shit out of luck. Also, as others said you will receive his payment and then ship it. Once you have his payment, you drain your Paypal account immediately obviously so if they do somehow try to give his money back the money is long gone.

There is no such thing as a "Certified" check that is an even worse deal than Paypal. "Cashiers" or "Certified" checks are easily faked, your bank will cash them and then days or even weeks later find out they are no good and your bank then takes the money back lol.

Selling a car or a big item the only totally safe method I know of is have him do an electronic transfer from his bank to yours. Once the money is transferred, it is yours and not reversible.

JC70SS
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I will do the signature confirmation. It may not mean much, but the guy is a verified paypal customer at least.

NisMax02z28
09-20-2011, 11:41 PM
I will do the signature confirmation. It may not mean much, but the guy is a verified paypal customer at least.

Honestly, I wouldn't even use USPS with a big $$$ item like yours. Ship with Fedex or UPS. Get the signature option and make sure to insure that baby. I believe paypal requires some type of signature confirmation on any item $250+ fwiw.

fivonut
09-20-2011, 11:58 PM
I hate using Paypal, but so many people love the convenience it's hard to get away from.

BoosTT
09-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Don't do it. Signature confirmation doesen't solve all the paypal loopholes. I wouldn't trust paypal for anything over $250.

You can even transfer money out of paypal, have the funds in your bank for 89 days and end up paying paypal the money back! If you don't pay they send collection agents after you.

It's seams like 25%+ people have been screw by paypal.

Cutlass Queen
09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I'd do a certified cashier's check and the sign on delivery confirmation with tracking number. Keep in mind when you use PayPal they also take a smaller % fee out of the money you get for their fee of using the service. It may take a bit longer but then you don't have to worry about if the person will make a bs claim. Keep all documentation and make sure you say you are selling the item as is - I have heard horror stories from sellers saying the buyer claimed things didn't work so they tried to get their money back along with keep the "defective" item when in reality the "defective" item wasn't actually "defective" and worked. Just a heads up - good luck with sale!

GTSLOW
09-21-2011, 08:29 AM
I've yet to have had a problem with Paypal. Although I've only sold a handful of things that were a few thousand $$.

Never had a problem. Also I would think requiring a "gift" payment would scare some possible buyers away. I know I wouldn't buy anything and send the payment like that. IMO gives the buyer zero protection.

Nickerz
09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I use paypal to the tune of roughly 15,000 transactions a year and for the most part their negatives are over-hyped by people being greedy\not using common sense.

1) Make sure you are shipping to a paypal verified address - The seller protection is not valid if it isn't.
2) Specify you will only sell to a buyer that has either a minimum amount of feedback (if an eBay sale) or number of verified transactions through paypal.
3) For high dollar items, take a picture of the item as you are shipping it and go with a friend to the post office.
3) Ship the item with adult signature delivery confirmation. USPS is nice because if they pull any tomfoolery you have two threats to use as leverage. One is wire fraud, the second is mail fraud. Both are felonies. US Postal inspectors are actually given a ton of powers and are actually pretty vicious. They are actually a highly used division that gets involved in prosecuting ponzi schemes, people on the run etc.

I would say given the value of your item you should be less concerned about an outright theft as you should be about someone claiming "item not as described" and sending back a broken blower to you.

Overall, NO merchant account is really setup to deal with high dollar value items honestly. Fraud is a huge problem with high ticket items and it would probably be in your best interest to just take cash or check (at a local bank if they use a bank that participates in check22, you can get the check verified on site, but probably better to wait for it to clear) from a local buyer. Its going to take longer but your risk of getting ripped off is only proportional to the size of your buyer compared to you. Bring a friend, meet in public and everything is golden.

Wagonbacker9
09-21-2011, 12:59 PM
The option that hasn't been discussed yet is a postal money order. I've had several people in the firearms industry use that because paypal isn't "allowed" on such things. So far as I know, its as secure as anything out there.

twicks69
09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I haven't had an issue using Paypal for sales (>$150,000/year), and hundreds of purchases over more than a decade of use.

The key points have been already discussed. Know your buyer/seller, research them, non-eBay purchases use a credit card, ship with insurance and signature confirmation. Why get screwed when you can take measures of simple common sense to make a smooth transaction.

Tim Zimmer via Evo Phone

Nickerz
09-21-2011, 05:24 PM
The option that hasn't been discussed yet is a postal money order. I've had several people in the firearms industry use that because paypal isn't "allowed" on such things. So far as I know, its as secure as anything out there.
All "good as paper money" has the same problem, if an unaware teller takes a fake one they will credit your account and when it hits the reconciliation department in the bank they will yank the funds back and hold you liable.

You have to wait for funds to clear before you roll on anything for it to be 100% safe.