PDA

View Full Version : Fox Body's a good investment?

Irish
09-17-2011, 09:49 PM
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1042772_fox-body-mustang-makes-cnn-moneys-top-ten-investment-cars-under-5k

Cryptic
09-17-2011, 10:59 PM
calling a car an investment is ridiculous.

Slow5oh
09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I'd say no but I get bored with stock cars. 15k in sold for 6,800 for 93 GT black on black.

-stew-
09-17-2011, 11:24 PM
'79 Pace Cars, '93 Cobras, SVO's, and Saleens may be worth keeping around. All the rest? Provided they are clean, original V8 cars with low, low, low miles and still have the factory air in the tires they might appreciate faster than a savings account accrues interest. But since you don't have to store and insure a savings account, so I think they car might not be the better investment. But, I'm not a financial adviser, so talk to yours before buying that yellow over red LX2.3 as a nest egg.

jakedrew
09-18-2011, 07:51 AM
I like stews mustang. Has to be worth alot.

-stew-
09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I like stews mustang. Has to be worth alot.

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/6866361.jpg

shoooo32
09-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I know you wouldn't lose money on a well bought fox body, but certainly don't see it as any sort of investment. The only cars I've been able to afford that really looked promising as investment purchases were early model Porsche 911's, but as they've tripled in price in the last ten years they are now a little over valued.

BOSS LX
09-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Fox bodies are a great investment for kicking ass!

nismodave
09-18-2011, 11:46 AM
99.9% of cars are a BAD investment.

jakedrew
09-18-2011, 03:19 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/6866361.jpg

I would try to troll harder, but I have other stuff to spend my time on. So I just stop in for a laugh when I get a chance. Glad to see you are good with finding and posting pictures. Wish I was that cool and intelligent.

Blah Blah blah, my name is Stew, blah blah I am better and smarter then you,BlAH blah blah. :)

I do like mustangs, the one I am working on now is your body style but has a 5.8 badge on the side ;)

Have a nice day (I bet this post gets deleted)

Irish
09-18-2011, 04:08 PM
No offense to anyone, do a majority of the threads here turn into a pissing match?

Prince Valiant
09-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Sure...why not?

In terms of investing, they're like any commodity in which the price appreciates and depreciates with time due to scarcity, desireability, etc....or even simple inflation.

With fox-bodies, there is still enough out there that they are fairly inexpensive, enough parts to cheaply restore to like original/newer condition (again, inexpensively), and will always have that desireability factor.

I've always been of the opinion is look at what the desireable car to high schoolers was in a given period; Take when I was in school 88-92: Cars like the Camaro, Trans Am, Turbo trans am, Ford Mustang, were all desireable. The value of those cars will probably jump dramtically when kids/students from that period in HS hit their peak earning years, but no longer have kids to keep up with/pay for, so you're looking when they hit around 50 or so (~ 15 years). That's when guys who were "car guys", even if they were only fans, may look to spend a little disposable income on a car that defined their youth, or simply what they had always desired while in HS, but could never afford.

Still, I don't view what I do as "investing"; it's a hobby...one in which much (but likely not all) of what I spend on the hobby in terms of the vehicles itself may get paid back to me as long as I don't break anything, lol. Just keeps it cheaper in the long run...

jakedrew
09-18-2011, 05:23 PM
No offense to anyone, do a majority of the threads here turn into a pissing match?

The grammar police were at it again that is why. Was not like this 8 or so years ago I know that.

-stew-
09-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I would try to troll harder, but I have other stuff to spend my time on. So I just stop in for a laugh when I get a chance. Glad to see you are good with finding and posting pictures. Wish I was that cool and intelligent.

Blah Blah blah, my name is Stew, blah blah I am better and smarter then you,BlAH blah blah. :)

I do like mustangs, the one I am working on now is your body style but has a 5.8 badge on the side ;)

Have a nice day (I bet this post gets deleted)

From Thursday:

I am taking this off the forum.

So by saying " general public" and how appalled you are then you must just..... hate a married couple under 30 years old, both have full time jobs, my wife has been going to college part time for 6 years while working full time and managing a family trucking business and me being a sheet metal union worker for the last 7 years.We have nice newer house and a 300 acre farm. Pay the bills on time and then some. We mind our business, help the neighbors and family, work hard and pay taxes and are raising a 5 month old baby boy.

I would be appalled by that also. :loser

All because I put a fucking $ symbol in the wrong place and felt the need to run your mouth. That is grammer police in my mind.

I never taken forums that seriously. I been here for 10 years and other forums for about 15. I get along with alot of people on these forums both online and at events. I dont go to many as I moved to central wisconsin, but I still like to visit this forum from time to time. Now you peaked my interest, I will be visiting more.:chair:

You are the kind of person who appalls me. Thinking you are better and smarter. I just sit back and laugh and will have fun with this. So when ever I see your posts I will talk shit:thumbsup. Or when I am back in town and I see your really nice mustang in your sig(if that is even your car, judging by all the mustang shit you are selling I would assume so) we could have some fun. I might be in a evo, or a ls7 gto, you never know. :shades

This is a good forum, but people like you ruin it. I see you have 3000 posts. Got a life? God forbid if you did not convey your message just right in one of them 3000 posts. How would you sleep at night?

I AM going to go back to my appalling lifestyle. Gave this more and you way more time then I should, but the baby was sleeping so I had a few more minutes to "convey my message". I got to get going though, have get up and work some overtime in the morning. Going to go and post some more replies that people who read it have no clue what I am trying to say. Hope you have a nice day and I hope it is more productive then mine.

Love,
Jake

From Friday:

and you say you are not the grammar police lol. You should run for some sort of office if you know everything and have all the answers.

Obama is going to pay for my house.

From today:

what, you dont want to reply to my personal message? Am not to worth your time?
Come on this is getting fun. :rolleyes:

Apparently you don't have that much other stuff to spend your time on...

Nickerz
09-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Don't feed the troll.

jakedrew
09-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Please feed the troll. haha.

I hop online when the baby takes a nap, been raining out today so cant do much work in the woods.. Thrusday had a little more time as I got the 5 ACRE field work done early and the wife didnt have school so she watched the baby.

I hopped online Friday to get some info on the father in laws 02 f350 powerstroke I am working on and opened another window to see what you had to say to my PM(nothing).

You got 3000 posts, not me lol. I used to check this forum once a week or so, now you peeked my interest I make a point to come back more.

Just saying I am giving a person like you way more time then I should be doing, but hey, I find it entertaining. I live a buzy lifestyle and work alot, but I can find time to come here and harass you.

That all you got Stew? Really. Why cant you answer my ?s. I been here too long to put up with these people(dont go by join date, I checked here for meet ups and what not since early 2000's). Too many great people on these forums I met over the years and get just got sick of a person who felt the need to point out one missed placed $ symbol. You also played grammer police on other people and think you are better. Your time will come :) I know more then you think. ;)

Plus it gets dark early and just got done with a un-successful night of bowhunting :)

Irish
09-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Ugh... All this pollution.

Tiresmoke
09-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Great investment! :)

xxtremeteam
09-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I will sell mine if anyone wants to jump on this investment band wagon

shoooo32
09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
....and this is why very few intelligent conversations about the hobby we love happen on this site. PV, I applaud your efforts to try and educate the unwashed. Stew, stop pointing out the shortcomings of others or your entire life will be consumed with arguing grammar on the internet with high school drop outs.

/thread

Nickerz
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
There is a semi legit formula btw for this

"performance version of a performance version of a performance version"

Corvette > Z06 > ZR1
Mustang GT > Cobra > Cobra R
Z28 > SS > LT4 SS
911 turbo > GT2 > GT2RS

The cars will generally hold their value if you don't drive them at all. Doesn't really count sticker mods like the new grandsport. They need to be serious chassis improvements. Also if its a long run car (ZR1) they immediately become uncollectable if a new generation comes out. A 93 Cobra R still pulls big money with almost no miles on it. However, if they come out with a new ZR1 in the C7 it will push down values and the car will lose respectability. The Cobra Rs remain in demand because of the limited production runs and are "best of breed" for the period\chassis. So that's worth looking at. You won't really make any money unless you scoop one of them up as a second owner from someone with buyer's remorse, and even then with inflation your return will be minimal. But if you got stacks of money in the bank, it wouldn't really be that bad of a gig to have a car like that sitting in your living room or your pole barn as a conversation piece.

But as far as an investment, the best way to get $100,000 out of a car is to start out with one that was worth $200,000. The only two things that are worse investments are boats and planes.

Taetsch Z-24
09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I dare say I could sell my car for more then I have in to it...:goof

But I have had some... help getting stuff.

lordairgtar
09-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Stew, stop pointing out the shortcomings of others or your entire life will be consumed with arguing grammar on the internet with high school drop outs.

/thread
I am a high school drop out and my grammar is OK.

Waver
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I sold the 88 for more than I had into it.......That is all

GTSLOW
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
That list also lists the Fiero as a good investment :rolf

CATNHAT
09-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Anything that stew-pid makes payments on, is probably a pretty good indication of something one does NOT want to invest in.

GTSLOW
09-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Man we've got some GREAT threads going on over the past week!

-stew-
09-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Anything that stew-pid makes payments on, is probably a pretty good indication of something one does NOT want to invest in.

There is a lot of truth I this statement. The only thing I've ever financed was a tool box. And anyone that has ever financed anything through Snap-On credit can tell you its a bad investment.

DRK
09-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Their is big money to be made in the right cars and those types of cars have had a far better long term return then any money market or real estate. As far as Foxbody Mustangs low mile Cobras and just about any R will bring more then sticker. In 93 I was at Capitol Ford in Madison and they had three R's prepped and ready for delivery in the service drive-thru.

Moparjim
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
In 1988 I could have bought a 70 Hemi Cuda Convertible for the then lofty price of around $10,000.

Today same car goes for 7 figures.

More recently, I personally owned things like a 70 Challenger 440 6 pack Challenger that I had about $12,000 into in around 1999-2000 or so. Sold it a year or two later for $15,000. It later traded hands in the $20-30K range I believe over the next few years in the 2003-2005 time range. If someone put some work, paint, etc. into it maybe a $10-20K investment plus some work $75K or even 6 figures would have been possible at the peak in around 2008 or so. Same car decently "restored-ish" still brings $50-60K easily in todays market.

I wish I had hung onto even a fraction of the muscle I owned in the 80s and 90s, or better yet wish I could have afforded the $5-10K Hemi cars were selling for back then I would be a rich rich man. Even hard top Hemi Cudas were selling for like $5-10K and now go for 6 figures and then some. Even factory race cars and stuff like that were selling for 1/10th their current value in the late 80s early 90s and probably 1/5th there current value as recently as the late 90s or early 2000s.

My 401K I have been lucky to break even over the last ten years after the huge dip...

JC70SS
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
There is a semi legit formula btw for this

"performance version of a performance version of a performance version"

Corvette > Z06 > ZR1
Mustang GT > Cobra > Cobra R
Z28 > SS > LT4 SS
911 turbo > GT2 > GT2RS

The cars will generally hold their value if you don't drive them at all. Doesn't really count sticker mods like the new grandsport. They need to be serious chassis improvements. Also if its a long run car (ZR1) they immediately become uncollectable if a new generation comes out. A 93 Cobra R still pulls big money with almost no miles on it. However, if they come out with a new ZR1 in the C7 it will push down values and the car will lose respectability. The Cobra Rs remain in demand because of the limited production runs and are "best of breed" for the period\chassis. So that's worth looking at. You won't really make any money unless you scoop one of them up as a second owner from someone with buyer's remorse, and even then with inflation your return will be minimal. But if you got stacks of money in the bank, it wouldn't really be that bad of a gig to have a car like that sitting in your living room or your pole barn as a conversation piece.

But as far as an investment, the best way to get $100,000 out of a car is to start out with one that was worth $200,000. The only two things that are worse investments are boats and planes.

and snowmobiles

CATNHAT
09-20-2011, 03:42 PM
^^and women

FourEyedFord
09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Fox bodies are a great investment for kicking ass!

x2

mikmustgt87
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Big New Blue snap-on toolbox was one of the dumbest thing I ever bought cost around 11,000 was young and dumb and is worth probably 3-4 grand now if im lucky, but my 87 fox is one of the best investments cause i can blow the doors off BOTH my brother's mustang's! :rolf:headbang

venm4u97
09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Big New Blue snap-on toolbox was one of the dumbest thing I ever bought cost around 11,000 was young and dumb and is worth probably 3-4 grand now if im lucky, but my 87 fox is one of the best investments cause i can blow the doors off BOTH my brother's mustang's! :rolf:headbang

haha...if you can keep the motor in one piece ;)

mikmustgt87
09-21-2011, 11:45 AM
That shouldnt be a problem considering i will only be at half throttle when your doors unexpectedly blow off! :banana

GHOSST
09-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Welcome to Brew City honestly, nothing changes, but honestly there is section for Ford related topics, you'd probably would have had more luck there. But I must agree with a few people, vehicles are terrible investments, and to put it in that sense begs for flaming. As much as we all love our cars, there isn't enough money in the world to satisfy our craving for speed, power, and shine!

lordairgtar
09-21-2011, 05:40 PM
We do love our pissing matches...but there are some very helpful and decent people on here.

venm4u97
09-22-2011, 07:00 AM
That shouldnt be a problem considering i will only be at half throttle when your doors unexpectedly blow off! :banana

haha...yea yea