PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating 1936 Footage Of Car Assembly Line

awsomeears
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
http://www.dump.com/2011/07/15/fascinating-1936-footage-of-car-assembly-line-video/

:wow:wow:wow:wow

Make model ?

bikedad
09-14-2011, 09:15 PM
That was very interesting.
I posted it in another car forum I belong to.

I'm not positive but I think that was a 1936 Chevrolet Standard being built.

BOSS LX
09-14-2011, 09:33 PM
That line HAD to be down all the time with that many moving parts, right? Very cool to see.

WhatsADSM
09-14-2011, 09:33 PM
That was very cool. Actually more technology than I thought. Also very cool to see because my grandfather worked at a Ford plant aorund that time.

jbiscuit
09-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Really cool. Surprisingly mechanized and automated for the era. Nice to see skilled workers still performing assembly though also. I think the video was a bit misleading though because I believe the sheet metal stampings have always been done at their own plant... I could be wrong however. Thanks for posting!

Al
09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
The video makes me think about the tooling designers. That must have been a rewarding job.

The Shaolin
09-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Pretty incredible. I was also amazed at the amount of automation...they did so much with so little! Seeing all those moving parts also helps explain all the injuries and deaths back in the day, I'm sure there were NO safety interlocks on any of those machines.

EDIT: I take that back, there were some! I saw the two button design on the the big stamping press...hah.

I liked the bolt installer a few minutes in...each machine was only calibrated for one bolt. Makes sense, way too complicated for it to move in three axis.

I also liked installing the engine in the chassis while both were moving. hah.