PDA

View Full Version : 'Custom' litter box ideas.....

Car Guy
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I need to find a 'custom' litter box for my three cats to solve an ongoing issue. I thought long and hard (that's what she said!) about what is needed but now need to find this 'idea'. Requirements are: plastic, a minimum of 12" high sides, a maximum of 43" in width, length is very flexible but 4' is ideal, and a bottom as flat as possible. (If you have any experience with thoroughly cleaning littler boxes you know why a flat bottom is ideal.) At the moment all I have for ideas is something along the lines of a small plastic kiddie pool. I will be at Toys R' US today checking what is available but have no ideas other than this. Please post up if you have any ideas......

Thanks! :thumbsup

PonyKiller87
09-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Try Home Depot, I think thats about the size of a mortar mixing tub?

Car Guy
09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Those are approximately 2' x 3' with 6" sides. The side height is most important and needs to be 12" minimum.......

Wagonbacker9
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
a buddy of mine designed and built his own, with its own ventilation system and everything. He may be willing to share his plans if you're interested.

Holeshot
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
You should have two litter boxes one per cat. I have three boxes for our two cats.

team beater
09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Large rubbermaid tub?

BoosTT
09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Have you ever tried having more then one litter box? Its weird... my kitty number 1's in one box and 2's in the other. lol.

LEWETHETIGER73
09-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I have 4 boxes for two cats and it doesn't seem to be enough.

Wagonbacker9
09-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I have 4 boxes for two cats and it doesn't seem to be enough.

my 0 litter boxes for 0 cats seems to be just perfect...

Gregor
09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
We took a rubbermaid tub with a lid and cut a hole in the lid so they could get in and out. So the dirty animals wouldnt miss the box. We have a Maine Coon that shits like a dog and they dont make a box big enough for him.

kornholio788
09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
We built our own. 3 foot by 4 foot. Just out of wood. Lined it with a big black plastic garbage bag. Did the trick.

Car Guy
09-15-2011, 09:33 AM
I stopped at Toys R Us and there was nothing of the kind in stock. I remember them having these in stock but that was nearly two decades ago :goof . I will try Target, Wal-Mart, etc. today. If you know where these are in stock for me to physically view please post up, thanks again......

a buddy of mine designed and built his own, with its own ventilation system and everything. He may be willing to share his plans if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer but I am not interested in building anything. However that sounds like a great design and something I would love to do if the situation is permanent. This is at an apartment and might only be used for a relatively short amount of time......

You should have two litter boxes one per cat. I have three boxes for our two cats.

Have you ever tried having more then one litter box? Its weird... my kitty number 1's in one box and 2's in the other. lol.

Currently there are three standard boxes with tops for three cats. The issue is they are completely 'going' outside of the box with plenty of clean fresh litter inside. Here is my theory: They now have three standard size boxes opposed to three of the large concrete/mortar mixing tubs at the house we had and do not like the downsize. Initially at the apartment we tried using the mixing tubs but then they started 'going' over the edges, just as bad as going outside them completely. This is why the large size and high sides are a must, to give them enough room and to prevent ‘overflow’. There was never a problem with this at the house but the overall arrangement was completely different, custom also.....

I hope this all makes sense, if not I will clarify. I did a LOT of research on cats and how sensitive they can be with litter boxes. Some research states a simple color change on the walls can affect how, when, and where they go. Weird stuff but with cats I believe it....

Large rubbermaid tub?

I was at Lowe's yesterday and was surprised how many different size configurations Rubbermaid now makes. I might look in to this more if the kiddie pool idea does not happen......

Nickerz
09-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I'll assume you're having two problems
1 ) Litter getting tracked everywhere
2) Your house\apartment smelling like shit

OK we went through this for a while. There are two things you need, and you will thank me for it.

http://www.amazon.com/LitterMaid-LMC100-Litter-Box-Carpet/dp/B00023XCYG

Litter carpet

And on top of it

http://www.amazon.com/Litter-Robot-Bubble-Unit-Automatic/dp/B002QT38UC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1316143743&sr=1-3

Litter robot. Within a couple minutes the shit is automatically taken care of based on a sensor in the unit. Do NOT get the target unit that has a rail system. It will get clogged with shit and break, they all do. You have to get this style of unit for it to last. You will never smell cat shit again when you come home. It is glorious. $370? Worth it. We've had ours for close to 3 years. I haven't smelt cat shit (except for a couple times the cats couldn't get into the basement to use it) for 3 years. Its probably the best thing we've ever bought.

It's barely enough for 2, so you'll need two units. Don't think you're going to outsmart this design. We tried for years. This is the only solution that really works if you don't want to smell shit.