PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea

2006wrxtr
09-07-2011, 03:23 AM
I want to outfit my Miata to drive from here, to the southern most part of South America. Think it can be done?
Maybe even get some sponsors for parts to
show how the parts hold up under extreme conditions.
What kind of parts do you think I would need? I already
have a bunch in mind just want to see what you guys throw out there.

GTSLOW
09-07-2011, 03:37 AM
:rolf

2006wrxtr
09-07-2011, 03:39 AM
:rolf

I know right, insomnia

wrath
09-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Maybe with a rough looking SFA truck. But not with a shitbox that falls apart on washboard roads that gives the illusion of money. Half way there it would leave you stranded and the locals would have a "good time" with your cadaver.

The Shaolin
09-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Let's say you do make it down there....then what?

TheRX7Project
09-07-2011, 08:35 AM
You do not want to travel through Colombia. I will repeat, you do not want to travel through Colombia.

PonyKiller87
09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
There are stories of guys doing these trips on motorcycles all the time. Everyone I ever read they got into some kind of trouble and the only reason they were able to get away was they were on bikes and could dip around stuff and get away in a hurry.

animal
09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
What kind of parts do you think I would need?

A boat that fits your car.

Or better yet, turn your miata into a boat like in "One Crazy Summer"
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3804/capture012342mf1.jpg

Prince Valiant
09-07-2011, 09:00 AM
One does not simply walk into MORODOR....

Nickerz
09-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Watched enough locked up abroad that you decided you want in?

BR3W CITY
09-07-2011, 10:16 AM
lol, the only way to to a columbia trip is in a cigarette boat. Thats assuming you plan on actually making the trip profitable.

twicks69
09-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I would recommend a 1970's toyota land cruiser with lots of spares, a winch or two, several straps, fuel, high-lift jack, a roof-mount 50-caliber for travel through Colombia and Venezuela, a good suspension, spare ball joints and tie rod ends, alot of cigarettes and cash to pay off the border police and drug dealers as you pass through.

I would NOT recommend a miata. You would be better off on a motorcycle.

Prince Valiant
09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
a roof-mount 50-caliber for travel through Colombia and VenezuelaShit...even Mexico has it's areas. Many/most are occurring on the hwy's (if you can call them that). Flew a couple hours outside of Mexico City, then drove 2 1/2 hours to our destination (San Miguel de Allende)...nervous about to start, but it's one of the safe, non-gang areas.

2006wrxtr
09-07-2011, 11:58 AM
MODIFIED PLAN
Yeah it would be pretty dangerous. I have thought of a new route.
Key West florida southern most point in the continental US
to the northern most point ( somewhere in Alaska)
Probably be a bit safer. Cut up the east coast, skirt across canada to Vancover,
then northto end game.
Figure I have made it to 40 the rest are bonus years.
If I could find a person crazy enough to navigate that would be great.
This is a list of the Modifications to the car I would make (not complete)
*Coil over suspension so I could lift the car about 2" softer spring rates for the rough roads
*Custom skid plates, oil pan, trans and diff
*Rally lights for night driving removable ??
*Auxillary fuel tank
*Solar panel for roof to supplement cars charging system
*1-2 extra batteries those small lightweight ones you can mount in any position
*Trunk and hitch rack
*Custom radiator, fans. Maybe even try to relocate it to protect from debris
*15" steel wheels with the smallest BFG AT's they make. I think they are 27.3" tall
so about 2" taller than a 205/50/15
*Winch??
*Reinforce the suspension pick up points
*Get rid of all unecassary original equipment ie; Climate control, Softtop, Power windows etc....
*2 way radio maybe even Sat phone
* Spares: Tires, Fuel Pump and filters, oil filters, air filters, tools etc..
* Roll bar
* Some type of custom Tubular Bumpers front and rear for animal collisions

I would try to get some sponsors.
Right now the engine is shot so if I got someone to donate a engine in good running order that would be great
Would try to get Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or another well known synthetic oil manufacturer as a sponsor. The Idea
here would be to have them supply the fluids, but also fill and seal the engine, trans and diff. So fluid could be
added if needed but not changed for the duration of the trip. only thing changed would be the oil filter.
Maybe someone like verizon so I (we) could upload video, and blog about hte adventure.
BFG or a Tire supplier obvious

And maybe one of the big Miata aftermarket manufacturers: Flyn' Miata or someone like that to help with the suspension
and Technical Advice.

As for myself I would have probably about $15k to invest.
And would like to get companys that would sponsor money
for every mile driven to go to charity. I'm thinking Childhood Cancer, or Diabetes.
Of course the Charity thing would be run by professionals so that hopefuly it goes to the
right place.

WickedSix
09-07-2011, 12:02 PM
1) install tow bar on miata
2) purchase one of our light tactical vehicles as pictured below
3) tow miata with said armored vehicle

http://www.off-road.com/images/content/Oshkosh-11-23-10.jpg

the miata wouldn't even need wheels.....

flyin_blue_egg
09-07-2011, 12:18 PM
MODIFIED PLAN
Yeah it would be pretty dangerous. I have thought of a new route.
Key West florida southern most point in the continental US
to the northern most point ( somewhere in Alaska)
Probably be a bit safer. Cut up the east coast, skirt across canada to Vancover,
then northto end game.
Figure I have made it to 40 the rest are bonus years.
If I could find a person crazy enough to navigate that would be great.
*Coil over suspension so I could lift the car about 2" softer spring rates for the rough roads
*Custom skid plates, oil pan, trans and diff
*Auxillary fuel tank
*Solar panel for roof to supplement cars charging system
*1-2 extra batteries those small lightweight ones you can mount in any position
*Trunk and hitch rack
*Custom radiator, fans. Maybe even try to relocate it to protect from debris
*15" steel wheels with the smallest BFG AT's they make. I think they are 27.3" tall
so about 2" taller than a 205/50/15
*Winch??
*Reinforce the suspension pick up points
*Get rid of all unecassary original equipment ie; Climate control, Softtop, Power windows etc....
*2 way radio maybe even Sat phone
* Spares: Tires, Fuel Pump and filters, oil filters, air filters, tools etc..
* Roll bar
* Some type of custom Tubular Bumpers front and rear for animal collisions

I would try to get some sponsors.
Right now the engine is shot so if I got someone to donate a engine in good running order that would be great
Would try to get Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or another well known synthetic oil manufacturer as a sponsor. The Idea
here would be to have them supply the fluids, but also fill and seal the engine, trans and diff. So fluid could be
added if needed but not changed for the duration of the trip. only thing changed would be the oil filter.
Maybe someone like verizon so I (we) could upload video, and blog about hte adventure.
BFG or a Tire supplier obvious

And maybe one of the big Miata aftermarket manufacturers: Flyn' Miata or someone like that to help with the suspension
and Technical Advice.

As for myself I would have probably about $15k to invest.
And would like to get companys that would sponsor money
for every mile driven to go to charity. I'm thinking Childhood Cancer, or Diabetes.
Of course the Charity thing would be run by professionals so that hopefuly it goes to the
right place.

If you're gonna go that route (FL-AK) I would reccomend a truck or at least an SUV.

Prince Valiant
09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
pick up a wrangler rubicon and call it a day.

The Shaolin
09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
This is completely nuts, totally impractical, and just not gonna happen.

*Coil over suspension so I could lift the car about 2" softer spring rates for the rough roads - Really? That's going to ride...and corner...really awful.
*Custom skid plates, oil pan, trans and diff - Weight.
*Auxillary fuel tank - It's a Miata! Where?!
*Solar panel for roof to supplement cars charging system - lol, wtf...not gonna do anything but add weight.
*1-2 extra batteries those small lightweight ones you can mount in any position - weight
*Trunk and hitch rack - weight
*Custom radiator, fans. Maybe even try to relocate it to protect from debris - Still a Miata, no room, and I'm sure stock is adequate.
so about 2" taller than a 205/50/15 - Good god.
*Winch?? - weight
*Reinforce the suspension pick up points - weight
*Get rid of all unecassary original equipment ie; Climate control, Softtop, Power windows etc.........this is going to make your trip positively miserable. No climate control? Really? You'll save 20lbs off the 500 you've already added.
*2 way radio maybe even Sat phone - Good idea.
* Spares: Tires, Fuel Pump and filters, oil filters, air filters, tools etc.. - Where? Miata. Weight.
* Roll bar - Weight and -space
* Some type of custom Tubular Bumpers front and rear for animal collisions - Weight...but I guess you're going to need somewhere to mount the winch and rally lights.

Right now the engine is shot so if I got someone to donate a engine in good running order that would be great - ....

pick up a wrangler rubicon and call it a day.

LOL, seriously. You're trying to turn a sporty roadster into a Jeep, just buy something designed for it.

PonyKiller87
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Agreed with everyone else this makes no sense. And good luck finding someone willing to cram into that little car for that long of a drive.

2006wrxtr
09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I would need no special equipment to make this trip.
Proposed route
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...&q=key+west+fl
6,706 miles
Proposed extended route
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...&q=key+west+fl
one giant loop Around North America
12,948 mi, 10 days 6 and we can do it in less than 2 weeks. Wonder if there is any type of World Record that can be broken??

I would probably take the more scenic roads when possible. The whole trip would be documented on film, video, and blog.
And uploaded to a Youtube channel when I am in an area with internet. I would also take my time, particularly in Canada
and Alaska stopping to get to know the people. As few hotel (motel) stays as possible, camping would be high on the agenda,
just hope I don't get ate by a bear :-)

PonyKiller87
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Have you ever taken a road trip even close to this long? 13,000 miles in 10 days? You would have to average over 80 mph and be on the road 16 hrs a day to pull that off. Once you figure in gas, food and bathroom stops even if your doing 80 your only going to average about 65-70. And I don't see you making it 10 days of 16 hr days driving...

Realisticaly maybe 14 hrs a day driving, averaging about 65 mph with the stops... your looking at just over 14 days, and I would still consider that nuts especially in a stripped down miata.

The Shaolin
09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Neither of your routes show up.

Flicktitty
09-07-2011, 02:05 PM
I've always had a itch to find a newer car in California and drive it back bouncing back and forth through major cities till i arived home. might happen one day.

but your idea of just packing up from So-Flordia and going to Alaska (then BACK) is outfuckingrageous. and unless you already know people in the motorsports world chance of getting donations is slim and none... if anything you would need to do it for some sort of charity, but even then i don't know with this economy if you will get backers.

Prince Valiant
09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I've always had a itch to find a newer car in California and drive it back bouncing back and forth through major cities till i arived home. might happen one day.Not that hard...wife and I road triped to LA, San Fran, Ogden UT and back. Great time...took 14 days with nice long stops at all the major stops (5 days in LA, 2 in San Fran, 2 in Ogden). Seriously, greatest time of my life. Even took the dogs!

lordairgtar
09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I've done similar in a 66 Rambler wagon. Could be done. Drove from St Pete to Vancouver, then to Dawson City, then to Chicken and back south to Anchorage.

jimez1
09-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Say the car actually makes it all the way to Vancouver. You do realize that the highway between Alaska and the rest of the U.S. is Gravel....Just saying.. All the semis that run that route have large brush guards on the front of them and they still manage to lose a headlight or two from rocks being kicked up. Consider that the headlights on a semi are, oh lets say four feet in the air. Windshield of a Miata 3 feet? I would add t your list of extra parts about 24 extra windshields.

2006wrxtr
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
A friend of mine has this thin film that he applies to headlights and windshields.
Not sure what it is made of but it sure cuts down on nicks and cracks, of course
a large enough rock will go through it. I have it on my headlights right now, could
have him apply it to the windshield. I'll bring my helmet and riding goggles just
incase I have to go a distance without a windscreen. Or get a Lexan windshield
that I can attach over the glass. 3' off the ground the rocks will probably just fly'
right over me.

I would probably make it a 60 day trip. that is a little over 200 miles a day. do
alot of camping and visiting historic places and sights.

Rocket Power
09-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Guys drive Miatas?

-stew-
09-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Guys drive Miatas?

You know What the hardest part about driving a Miata is?

Telling your dad that you are gay.

2006wrxtr
09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
My dads dead, so that isn't possible even if I was.
I got it because it gets good MPG and is fun to drive.
I also like to Autocross and it's hard to beat a Miata
as far as investment goes.

After about 10 5.0's I needed a change for awhile.
But the next Stang is being planned. Nothing special
Foxbody LX with a 427 and a 6spd. Good street car.

The Shaolin
09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
My dads dead, so that isn't possible even if I was.
I got it because it gets good MPG and is fun to drive.
I also like to Autocross and it's hard to beat a Miata
as far as investment goes.

I'm missing the part where it's a comfortable car for a trip around the world, good at hitting cattle, durable, etc...

TheRX7Project
09-08-2011, 03:57 PM
This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen.

You essentially want to build a rally Miata and drive it around North America. Why not just buy some sort of rally-ish, AWD car (like, IDK, a Subraru Outback or WRX)? It would be #1, roomier, #2 probably easier to find parts for, and #3 handle the offroad part of your journey better.

twicks69
09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Hell, I did a 4200+ mile trip by myself in my 1985 Mazda RX-7 from WI to Salt Lake City, UT going through North Dakota, Montana and Idaho, then down to Austin, TX, then though Arkansas back up to WI.

Dumbest idea ever. 21 years old does that. And I was fully prepared. The comfort of being in a tiny car for rthat long gets old real quick. I was half temped to sell the car when I got to Texas and fly back.

Now almost quadruple the mileage and put it in a similar sized car and carry two people. Have fun with that. Plan on having money with you for a return flight as well as a sign and magic marker to make a hitch-hiker sign when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, or have a GPS transponder with a Sat Phone.

Get the proper vehicle for the job. And that is especially not going to be a miata. If you have a 15K budget, go purchase a Gen 1 or 2 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 5-speed for a couple bucks, if the 6cyl, do head gaskets and an extra leaf spring in the rear with a decent tire and suspension, and then all your other equipment. Leaps and bounds more comfortable and can easily complete a trip like this when you know how to prepare.

WhatsADSM
09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I got an idea.

I'm thinking of taking my Elise and trying to climb Mount Everest with it. That or maybe drive up the side of the Sears tower like the bat-mobile. Anyone want to sponsor me?

Seriously though, I know it's a little more mundane... but why not just fix the engine in the Miata, outfit it with some suspension and take it to some auto-x. Lots of fun, much more practical, and you are using the car to do something it is good at.

2006wrxtr
09-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Hell, I did a 4200+ mile trip by myself in my 1985 Mazda RX-7 from WI to Salt Lake City, UT going through North Dakota, Montana and Idaho, then down to Austin, TX, then though Arkansas back up to WI.

Dumbest idea ever. 21 years old does that. And I was fully prepared. The comfort of being in a tiny car for rthat long gets old real quick. I was half temped to sell the car when I got to Texas and fly back.

Now almost quadruple the mileage and put it in a similar sized car and carry two people. Have fun with that. Plan on having money with you for a return flight as well as a sign and magic marker to make a hitch-hiker sign when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, or have a GPS transponder with a Sat Phone.

Get the proper vehicle for the job. And that is especially not going to be a miata. If you have a 15K budget, go purchase a Gen 1 or 2 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 5-speed for a couple bucks, if the 6cyl, do head gaskets and an extra leaf spring in the rear with a decent tire and suspension, and then all your other equipment. Leaps and bounds more comfortable and can easily complete a trip like this when you know how to prepare.

Yeah the whole idea has changed completely, to something that is possible and will raise money
for one of the Childhood cancer Charities.

TheRX7Project
09-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Well, at least you have a cause now.

twicks69
09-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Do whatever you want, just be smart and safe about it. Personally, I would still dump the Miata and pick up a reliable vehicle that can handle any weather condition or road condition on a 14,000 mile trip. (aka Toyota SUV)

SSLEVO
09-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Who is going to sponsor you driving across the united states? LOL What is the skid plate for? In case you hit a pot hole???

Reverend Cooper
09-10-2011, 04:36 PM
It's been nice to know you,this is called thinning the herd.