PDA

View Full Version : dual voice coil speaker

xFullThrottlex
09-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know where I can find one full range 6x9 dual voice coil speaker locally?

I have found them on ebay but they look CHEAP and are priced high:headbang

-stew-
09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
http://media2.teenormous.com/items/www.tshirtbordello.com/images-Speaker-City-logo-lg_thumb_400x300.gif

Haulin' Oates
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Last time I was presented with this problem I installed a pair of 4" eclipse point source coaxes in the hole. This was for my dad's 55' T-bird so he just needed something that sounded decent and I already had the speakers.

xFullThrottlex
09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Last time I was presented with this problem I installed a pair of 4" eclipse point source coaxes in the hole. This was for my dad's 55' T-bird so he just needed something that sounded decent and I already had the speakers.

intrigued.. does he have loud pipes? I'm not looking for a banging system or anything just something to listen to the American Graffiti soundtrack with or turn on the ballgame. I do have glasspacks and headers and would like to stay as original appearing with one speaker in the dash!

xFullThrottlex
09-06-2011, 06:56 PM
http://media2.teenormous.com/items/www.tshirtbordello.com/images-Speaker-City-logo-lg_thumb_400x300.gif

lol, haven't watched Old School for awhile... i know what im doing tonight

Haulin' Oates
09-07-2011, 08:58 AM
It was a convertible that was essentially bone stock. They did sound decent though, better than I had expected. He sold the car a couple years ago. I wish I had the cash to buy it at the time. You aren't going to get much bass out of a single 6x9 that's dash mounted (assumption here) anyway. Might as well have some decent mids and highs.

For that matter, here is a pair on ebay; http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390345096746

They used a fabric dome tweeter of high quality. Very smooth top end. Worked well for bouncing off of a windshield. I made the plate out of a piece of thick abs plastic. A plastic cuttingboard from walmart would work great for this. Just cut a 6x9 shaped piece of plastic with two holes for the 4".

The Shaolin
09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't know much about car audio...so I'm just asking.

Why do you need DVC? If they are hard to find, I assume there are plenty of high quality of SVC that will outperform?

Haulin' Oates
09-07-2011, 02:49 PM
If he does that he will only be able to hook up either the left or right speaker lead, and get one half of stereo. In the unlikely event he has a mono switch he could do that though.

The Shaolin
09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Ah, I understand the problem now. Reading>Me.

-stew-
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
6x9's under or behind the seat.

/thread

xFullThrottlex
09-09-2011, 11:47 PM
6x9's under or behind the seat.

/thread

too easy

xFullThrottlex
09-09-2011, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=Haulin' Oates;717001]It was a convertible that was essentially bone stock. They did sound decent though, better than I had expected. He sold the car a couple years ago. I wish I had the cash to buy it at the time. You aren't going to get much bass out of a single 6x9 that's dash mounted (assumption here) anyway. Might as well have some decent mids and highs.

For that matter, here is a pair on ebay; http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390345096746

I like this idea more and more and you are correct it will be dash mounted. i'm thinking this will be a fun project and could actually get some decent 4" for a good price compared to this... http://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10848

xFullThrottlex
09-10-2011, 12:03 AM
also what did you use to cut holes in the cutting board and to cut the 6x9 out of the cutting board? Thanks!!

Haulin' Oates
09-12-2011, 08:10 AM
I just used a jigsaw with a wood blade for everything. If you happen to have the correct size holesaw for the cutout of a 4" speaker it would make life much easier.

Haulin' Oates
09-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah those kenwoods look pretty crappy in that adapter but that's exactly what I did.

PureSound15
09-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Just make sure your impedance is right if you go to 2-4" speakers.

I'd stick with 1 6x9 because a 4" speaker is really only going to service vocals and mid-highs - It'll be a bright sound and you'll miss out on the quality of a full range speaker.

Wagonbacker9
09-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Just make sure your impedance is right if you go to 2-4" speakers.

I'd stick with 1 6x9 because a 4" speaker is really only going to service vocals and mid-highs - It'll be a bright sound and you'll miss out on the quality of a full range speaker.

I had a pair of 4" JL XR speakers back in the day... they treated my very well as a full range speaker.

PureSound15
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I had a pair of 4" JL XR speakers back in the day... they treated my very well as a full range speaker.

There is no physical way for a 4" speaker to replicate the range of a 6x9.

I'm not saying you wouldn't hear music and that it would sound bad, it just wouldn't be nearly the same (highs or lows).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickerz
09-12-2011, 08:26 PM

I'm not saying you wouldn't hear music and that it would sound bad, it just wouldn't be nearly the same (highs or lows).

You got sound upgrades in the beast?

PureSound15
09-12-2011, 11:01 PM
You got sound upgrades in the beast?

Yes sir. I dropped that rear speaker deck and have 1 sub and components in place of the crap460.

Nickerz
09-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Yes sir. I dropped that rear speaker deck and have 1 sub and components in place of the crap460.

You aren't kidding on the crap. I never heard a Mach 460 before, saw the tweeters and thought SAWEET! Turned it up to my horror :punch:

That was you I spotted by Oscars in Brookfield right? We keep passing eachother but never see eachother at a meetup. You must live in the Waukesha\Brookfield area. I'm like 1 minute from your buddies house on Y.

PureSound15
09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
You aren't kidding on the crap. I never heard a Mach 460 before, saw the tweeters and thought SAWEET! Turned it up to my horror :punch:

That was you I spotted by Oscars in Brookfield right? We keep passing eachother but never see eachother at a meetup. You must live in the Waukesha\Brookfield area. I'm like 1 minute from your buddies house on Y.

Yep - I live off off Y near Elmbrook cult/church.

Josepy
09-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Your stereo sounds great in your car now. Just like what you did to mine.

Haulin' Oates
09-13-2011, 09:13 AM

I suspect any bass or midbass he would have gotten from the 6x9 would have easily been overrun with ambient road and exhaust noise. He did also say listening to ballgames was a priority. lol

xFullThrottlex
09-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I suspect any bass or midbass he would have gotten from the 6x9 would have easily been overrun with ambient road and exhaust noise. He did also say listening to ballgames was a priority. lol

Haha... that I did.