PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke :/

Korndogg
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Well it looks like I'm burning a whole bunch of oil and it's time for me to figure out what it is. It puffs black when I accelerate or rev it. Changed the plugs today and they look fine. What should I check next?

Crawlin
09-05-2011, 07:07 PM
I always thought...

Black - fuel
Blue - Oil
White - Coolant/water

Korndogg
09-05-2011, 07:24 PM
It may be that I'm running rich. All I know is there are puffs of smoke coming out of the back of my car and there are even spots on the back end of my car from it that is sticky like oil which is why I figured it was oil.

Prince Valiant
09-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Right away the smoke comes? Not after prolonged loads/acceleration?

Korndogg
09-05-2011, 07:37 PM
yeah pretty much right away. Changed the plugs today for the hell of it, fired it up....reved it a couple times and there was smoke.

Wagonbacker9
09-05-2011, 07:37 PM
sounds like a rich tune to me.

BR3W CITY
09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
check for a bad o2 or a leaking or damaged exhaust gasket. The extra air from the exh leak or the readings from a bad o2 will make the pcm dump in some extra fuel, which will puff out as black smoke. I've had this happen under both circumstances. It leaves a sticky/carbon-y film on exhaust tips and bumpers. Check the gaskets and 02, replace if needed and then run some seafoam to get any deposits off (it takes a while before you actually SEE the black buildup). Good as new.

Korndogg
09-05-2011, 08:52 PM
I suppose I failed to mention that it's for my 68 Camaro.... :p

I'm guessing I'm going to just go get the carb tuned since I want to get it dyno'd anyway.

brotherbenn83
09-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Crawlin is right; oil burns blue, coolant burns white, excessive fuel is black.

UnderPSI
09-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Take it to Late Model and have them tune the carb on the dyno. That would be your best bet.

Korndogg
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
^ Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks guys!

I was going to do a big burnout at my wedding on Sat but I don't know if I want to now since I'll never hear the end of it from certain new family members if my car is blowing black smoke all over the place lol

The Shaolin
09-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Just do it. Make enough white smoke off the tires and the black won't be so noticeable ;)

Ricky Bobby
09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
seems right side is worse then left side of car when hes on it, both do it but pass. side is worse had same issue with my carb till i switched to a holley now no more smoke damn edy's

Wagonbacker9
09-11-2011, 10:38 PM
^ Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks guys!

I was going to do a big burnout at my wedding on Sat but I don't know if I want to now since I'll never hear the end of it from certain new family members if my car is blowing black smoke all over the place lol

Tell him the carb is set up rich for a safer tune, and that the car makes plenty of power that way.

Korndogg
01-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Ok well the exhaust is still black as hell. I had it tuned at WBD last year and that didnt change my exhaust color at all. They said all the numbers are right where they should be so im lost.... It looks like im rolling coal ffs and when im idling, deposits come ou of the tailpipes and get all over eveything. Any ideas?

I haven't had much money to work on it in the past couple years but I want to fix this. Its kind of embarrassing lol...

jbiscuit
01-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Why are you driving your Camaro in January? lol

Korndogg
01-24-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm not.. It's put away in my garage. I want to try to fix it now though.

Im going to lock this one and use my other thread.