PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experiance with oval exhaust tubing?

Nickerz
09-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Thinking of going to an oval exhaust with a flat spintech muffler. Getting really sick of hitting the exhaust on really minor bumps with the car. With 3 or 4 people the car is basically undrivable over 40 on any backroad. To make matters worse I need 3" to be doing this right and I'm only at 2.5" right now. So I can't really spare the room to go bigger. However if I go oval I can go bigger and actually add additional clearance.

So I'm thinking about doing an oval exhaust setup. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with it. I guess its pretty big with sprint cars. Wondering if there are any negatives to watch out for.

GTSLOW
09-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Put different drop springs on the car?

Flicktitty
09-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I know alot of really low 240sx's/supras/evos/etc have custom oval exhaust work done. I actually think some companies MAKE ovalized exhaust for evos/stis.

I have been highly considering this. so i am intrigued with what you find out.

Reverend Cooper
09-05-2011, 04:41 PM
spintechs are awesome period,on the oval exhaust not sure what it will change soundwise threw the muffler,and dont most that run that have flat/oval style side exit exhaust?

spooln30
09-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Check on BurnsStainless.com I think they have it in different sizes.

spooln30
09-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Yep Heres their link. http://www.burnsstainless.com/304ovalsstubing.aspx

BR3W CITY
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I've never done a full one, but seen it used in certain areas to clear crossmembers and such.

Nickerz
09-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Put different drop springs on the car?

I get people sending me PMs weekly on svtperformance asking me what springs I have. I'm NEVER giving up that stance! Maybe when I can wipe my ass with money I'll get an air ride setup, but until then I've got to look for creative solutions ;)

The Shaolin
09-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Lot of flow in not a lot of area, also would be easier and probably flow better at the 2>1 collector. Go for it!

Nickerz
09-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Lot of flow in not a lot of area, also would be easier and probably flow better at the 2>1 collector. Go for it!

Not looking forward to the quote for a set of custom Kooks longtubes with an oval collector.

PureSound15
09-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I have the same issue. Exhaust at my IRS is about 1.3" off the ground and the Muffler is about the same. I'm one of the few that scrapes accross the speed bumps at Oscars.

I'd consider going Oval - I'd rather re-do the exhaust than sacrafice the stance of the car.

Maybe Ron can help us with it?

Nickerz
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM
I have the same issue. Exhaust at my IRS is about 1.3" off the ground and the Muffler is about the same. I'm one of the few that scrapes accross the speed bumps at Oscars.

I'd consider going Oval - I'd rather re-do the exhaust than sacrafice the stance of the car.

Maybe Ron can help us with it?

We are exactly in the same boat. The biggest problem I see is to do it right we have to get custom headers that the collectors go out in oval. Another option would probably be to just get off the shelf Kooks and the hack them at the collector portion and have them custom made locally.

The midpipe is no problem at all. Then muffler wise, spintech is going to be the lowest profile setup possible.

For the rear pipes I'm going to use Bassani's 3" kit and get rid of the mufflers. Not sure who ron is. Clock's off racing? I figure any chassis shop should be able to help out.

But either way, I can't even get over speed bumps. If its those huge ones in subdivisions that are long, I can usually go sideways over those. But a straight up one is game over for me.

-stew-
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I get people sending me PMs weekly on svtperformance asking me what springs I have. I'm NEVER giving up that stance!

What brand lift kit is that? :goof

http://www.wiedos.com/89_Mustang/AirRide/images/IMG_1877%20%28Medium%29.jpg

:cool:

Nickerz
09-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Steeda drop springs.

The Shaolin
09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
hahahahaha

Dr.Buick
09-06-2011, 05:42 PM
i have the same issue. Exhaust at my irs is about 1.3" off the ground and the muffler is about the same. I'm one of the few that scrapes accross the speed bumps at oscars.

I'd consider going oval - i'd rather re-do the exhaust than sacrafice the stance of the car.

Maybe ron can help us with it?

hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nickerz
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe you are the mysterious Ron? I don't really know that many BCM'ers yet.

Dr.Buick
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe you are the mysterious Ron? I don't really know that many BCM'ers yet.

Nope but i have made exhaust systems out of oval pipe late model race cars

Z28Envy
09-06-2011, 06:58 PM
http://main.clocksoffracing.com/
This is Ron's site