PDA

View Full Version : School for autobody

Slow5oh
09-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Like the title says looking around for schools for autobody/collision repair. I'm currently working part time at a restoration shop and would have a good chance of going full time with some more knowledge, there just isn't the time to teach me everything I need to know especially on the fabricating end of things. I'm pretty sure WCTC has it but any other ideas any one go to school for this?

pOrk
09-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I went to school for this at MATC, not much money in this field unless your extremely fast and get into the custom side of things which is almost impossible. If you have the patience for it though I say go for it, I HATE doing bodywork but love to paint.

Slow5oh
09-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I love it I'm not sure why exactly but this is the first time in a long time I've liked going to work. Sure it can be irritating but putting in months and months of work to get a beautiful muscle car out of it all is worth it.
I worked at this shop about 4 years or so ago just to work off a paintjob on my hood, ended up working there all summer. Just got called back for part time a couple weeks ago.

I found this school in Ohio but I'm definitely trying to stay closer to home

http://www.ohiotech.edu/Restoration

Lash
09-03-2011, 02:00 PM
not much money in this field unless your extremely fast and get into the custom side of things which is almost impossible.

I agree. Bodymen used to make really good money but the insurance companies have just about all but killed that, not to mention how hard it is on your body. My dad could explain more on how the trade has taken a path for the worse as he has been a bodyman for close to 40 years. Not trying to steer you away or anything but be prepared, It's a VERY rough, cuthroat profession.

Rocket Power
09-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree. Bodymen used to make really good money but the insurance companies have just about all but killed that, not to mention how hard it is on your body.
That's the same thing I heard from a guy I used to work with. Especially the hard on the body part.

Slow5oh
09-03-2011, 02:09 PM
I may have worded this wrong. I'm not trying to be in the collision repair business, but the muscle car restoration. I already have a job that's going pretty good and was told the reason I can't go full time is because I don't have the knowledge of everything so they'd run out of work for me. I stay after work on my own time to learn but there's a lot for me to learn and there just isn't time to teach me every thing while I'm working there.

I've got a bad back and this job that hasn't bothered me, probably because for me it's staying in one position that causes problems and I can move around and change as often as needed.

Lash
09-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I've got a bad back and this job that hasn't bothered me, probably because for me it's staying in one position that causes problems and I can move around and change as often as needed.

A lot of guys get started in collision because thats the only way to gain experience unless somebody is will to have you as a full time apprentice which is almost unheard of. You need to know the basics before going full on custom restoration.
My dad would work at an autobody shop during the day and at night/weekends spent much of his time restoring cars with his good friend at a small garage.
My dad has had several back surgeries along with several knee sergeries and as a final resort a full knee replacement. The job is pretty hard on you back, knees and joints especially in your arms/hands. Maybe you just haven't done it long enough...lol.

Slow5oh
09-03-2011, 02:53 PM
A lot of guys get started in collision because thats the only way to gain experience unless somebody is will to have you as a full time apprentice which is almost unheard of. You need to know the basics before going full on custom restoration.
My dad would work at an autobody shop during the day and at night/weekends spent much of his time restoring cars with his good friend at a small garage.
My dad has had several back surgeries along with several knee sergeries and as a final resort a full knee replacement. The job is pretty hard on you back, knees and joints especially in your arms/hands. Maybe you just haven't done it long enough...lol.

I dont know, I know I'm not allowed to lift anything heavy there right now. I'm already at a restoration shop, he just wants me to go to to a school to get the basics and then learn more if I go full time there.

Lash
09-03-2011, 03:03 PM
There's not too much around here for that type of resto schooling. UTI might have something but anything closer will be MATC/WCTC.

Slow5oh
09-03-2011, 03:12 PM
yeah. Like I posted above I actually found a Classic car restoration it's 72 weeks teaches

Engine and drive train restoration
Ignition, fuel and exhaust systems
Metalworking
Upholstery and trim restoration
Welding
Damage repair
Suspension and chassis restoration
Painting and refinishing
Final assembly and testing

I requested more info so I'll wait for that. It's hard for me to actually get to a school to talk to some body.

spooln30
09-03-2011, 06:24 PM
UTI kinda sucks. I went there for auto performance in 06 down in IL. I felt weird cuz I was a lot older than the other students and knew more about import performance then my instructors. Hey it was free so that was good. Just cost of living down in a Chi burb wasn't so free.

Sprayaway Fox
09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
LTC in Cleveland WI. My bud works at Van Horn went there. When he was in HS it was a govt grant program. He learned alot and he does beautiful work on everything he does, metal work and all that. Granted he doesnt do the metal work as much working at a dealer but he did a awesome job on my G body when he did the bodywork and paint. He says they do it all when he was there. I have 3 freinds that still work at body shops that can vouch for the program. This was 12 years ago, so they prolly have more on the course now.

No matter where u start your going to be starting in the collison end. They want to see what you do in a small area before they hand you the keys on a full on sand, prep, paint car. If your hourly congrats, most of my buds are flat rate and even in a dealership senario and have some tough weeks sometimes.

Good thing your not looking to get rich out of it cause you wont, but just like being a mechanic, side jobs is where the money is at.

DONT DO UTI, or Wyotech. I have buds still trying to pay off their school loans on it after 10 years. Alot of shops not all would rather take real wold expeience with a backround then fresh out of UTI or whatever. If your doing custom stuff all the time, go to UTI because the cost is justified. But if your going to work at a dealer pumping out cars or a small body shop, it is not worth the pricetag. Unless you want to get into NASCAR LMAO!

Slow5oh
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
LTC in Cleveland WI. My bud works at Van Horn went there. When he was in HS it was a govt grant program. He learned alot and he does beautiful work on everything he does, metal work and all that. Granted he doesnt do the metal work as much working at a dealer but he did a awesome job on my G body when he did the bodywork and paint. He says they do it all when he was there. I have 3 freinds that still work at body shops that can vouch for the program. This was 12 years ago, so they prolly have more on the course now.

No matter where u start your going to be starting in the collison end. They want to see what you do in a small area before they hand you the keys on a full on sand, prep, paint car. If your hourly congrats, most of my buds are flat rate and even in a dealership senario and have some tough weeks sometimes.

Good thing your not looking to get rich out of it cause you wont, but just like being a mechanic, side jobs is where the money is at.

DONT DO UTI, or Wyotech. I have buds still trying to pay off their school loans on it after 10 years. Alot of shops not all would rather take real wold expeience with a backround then fresh out of UTI or whatever. If your doing custom stuff all the time, go to UTI because the cost is justified. But if your going to work at a dealer pumping out cars or a small body shop, it is not worth the pricetag. Unless you want to get into NASCAR LMAO!

Awesome I'll definitely be checking them out. As for the collision end I already have a job, that is hourly at a restoration shop. I just need more knowledge right now I work with filler, finger sanding, paint stripping, I've done wet sanding, dis assembly.

UTI/Wyotech was never in the picture. Their housing is ridiculous like 450 per students with 4 students per 2 bedroom apartment.

BR3W CITY
09-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Honestly, I think one of the reasons that the restoration industry is hard to get schooling in; is because there really isn't anywhere to go to learn. There aren't really "restoration schools" other than the hokey shit they show on powerblock / speed sometimes. I think the other reason would be competition. Do you really want to train someone who could replace you or take your work load?
Best of luck tho, it sounds like a good job doing something you like.

Slow5oh
09-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Honestly, I think one of the reasons that the restoration industry is hard to get schooling in; is because there really isn't anywhere to go to learn. There aren't really "restoration schools" other than the hokey shit they show on powerblock / speed sometimes. I think the other reason would be competition. Do you really want to train someone who could replace you or take your work load?
Best of luck tho, it sounds like a good job doing something you like.

Yeah I actually found a restoration school everything from drive train to interior but it's in Brooklyn, Ohio.

This is one car i wet sanded for a week til my fingers were raw but the end as worth it
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/quick93fox/Daytona_081.jpg

and got to detail a bunch of cars worth more money then I'll ever see

BR3W CITY
09-04-2011, 02:12 PM
^ now thats a nice ride

Slow5oh
09-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah its one of a kind too

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CH1007-60518

spooln30
09-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah I was 26 when i went to UTI and I had got two grants that covered the whole thing.

brotherbenn83
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM

I don't know who you are talking to, but I have friends that routinely make $80,000+/year in a dealership. I don't make quite that much, but hell I'm only 28.

Lash
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't know who you are talking to, but I have friends that routinely make $80,000+/year in a dealership. I don't make quite that much, but hell I'm only 28.

Mechanics or bodymen?