PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire Help Needed

VroomPshhTsi
08-23-2011, 05:31 PM
So I'm looking for winter tires + rims (prefer steelies).
Rims: 16 x 6.5 (5 x 114 bolt pattern)
Tires: 215/60-16
TPMS sensors needed

Tirerack.com wants $1,000 for everything ($308 for the set of sensors alone!!).

Anyone here do tires and can get a better price?

Or anyone know of where I can go to get better?

MoCkiN U
08-24-2011, 12:09 AM
why "must" you have the sensors? Just rock it with rubber valve stems for winter time and keep the sensors in the oem wheels and mark the position they came off of so they dont have to be reset again when going back on the car. worst thing that will happen is have a light on the dash and require a gauge to be put on the tire every once in a while.

what you might run into is with 2 sets of 4 tpms on the car with oem set and steel set is you will have to get the new set of 4 programmed each time you switch over.

Wagonbacker9
08-24-2011, 01:02 AM
I have a pair of 215/45/17s mounted on MSP racing hart wheels (correct bolt pattern).... winterextremecontacts. They've got one winter on them... not quite what you're lookin for but... almost half way there? lol

VroomPshhTsi
08-24-2011, 07:29 AM
why "must" you have the sensors? Just rock it with rubber valve stems for winter time and keep the sensors in the oem wheels and mark the position they came off of so they dont have to be reset again when going back on the car. worst thing that will happen is have a light on the dash and require a gauge to be put on the tire every once in a while.

what you might run into is with 2 sets of 4 tpms on the car with oem set and steel set is you will have to get the new set of 4 programmed each time you switch over.

True, I'm still not sure how exactly the TPMS works when switching out winter tires. So without sensors I will just have the light go on and then when I swap the OEM wheels back on in Spring, everything is back to normal, right? I haven't swapped out tires on a car with TPMS before.

animal
08-24-2011, 07:32 AM
On my wifes car, I put winter tires/rims with no tpms sensors on... it bitches at you with a tpms error every now and then, but otherwise nothing happens. In spring, I rotated and put the original wheels on and the warnings went away. No reprogramming needed. You don't need tpms for winter wheels. Spend the extra on some better tires.

VroomPshhTsi
08-24-2011, 06:36 PM
On my wifes car, I put winter tires/rims with no tpms sensors on... it bitches at you with a tpms error every now and then, but otherwise nothing happens. In spring, I rotated and put the original wheels on and the warnings went away. No reprogramming needed. You don't need tpms for winter wheels. Spend the extra on some better tires.

This is what I was looking for! Thanks!!
I could also not be a puss and just drive on regular all seasons :goof

brotherbenn83
08-24-2011, 08:02 PM
TPMS was designed for one thing only, to remind you if your tires need to be inflated to spec to keep your fuel economy optimized. Their secondary purpose is to annoy the hell out of you. You can drive without them, no worries.

UnderPSI
08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I would just give one of our sponsors a call Late Model Throttle. They can set you up with winter wheels and tires at a really great price. They have set up my whole family and half the guys I work with.

MoCkiN U
08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
TPMS was designed for one thing only, to remind you if your tires need to be inflated to spec to keep your fuel economy optimized. Their secondary purpose is to annoy the hell out of you. You can drive without them, no worries.

exactly!!

as stated, once your oem wheels go back on the computer will read them and reset automatically. Most vehicles do so after being driven faster than 25mph for 10min or more

animal
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
This is what I was looking for! Thanks!!
I could also not be a puss and just drive on regular all seasons :goof

All seasons are shitty in all seasons.