PDA

View Full Version : As if I needed another reason not to buy a new GM....

Rocket Power
08-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Douchebags

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-gm-says-bankruptcy-excuses-it-from-repairs-on-400k-cars-20110819,0,870265.story

General Motors Co. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/economy-business-finance/manufacturing-engineering/automotive-equipment/general-motors-corp.-ORCRP006407.topic) is seeking to dismiss a lawsuit over a suspension problem on more than 400,000 Chevrolet Impalas from the 2007 and 2008 model years, saying it should not be responsible for repairs because the flaw predated its bankruptcy.

The lawsuit, filed on June 29 by Donna Trusky of Blakely, Penn., contended that her Impala suffered from faulty rear
spindle rods, causing her rear tires to wear out after just 6,000 miles.

But in a recent filing with the U.S. District Court in Detroit, GM noted that the cars were made by its predecessor General Motors Corp, now called Motors Liquidation Co or "Old GM," before its 2009 bankruptcy and federal bailout.

The current company, called "New GM," said it did not assume responsibility under the reorganization to fix the Impala problem, but only to make repairs "subject to conditions and limitations" in express written warranties. In essence, the automaker said, Trusky sued the wrong entity.

"New GM's warranty obligations for vehicles sold by Old GM are limited to the express terms and conditions in the Old GM written warranties on a going-forward basis," wrote Benjamin Jeffers, a lawyer for GM. "New GM did not assume responsibility for Old GM's design choices, conduct, or alleged breaches of liability under the warranty."

Reverend Cooper
08-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Gee go figure,no wonder they arent on trial like Toyota,they aren't liable because it was before,what a fucking joke.Fuck you Obarfma.

GTSLOW
08-20-2011, 01:34 PM
We have this problem with ALL of the government impalas! So bad that the wires were almost showing on one half of the tire and a ton of tread on the other half.

Slow Joe
08-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Here's my thoughts... If "Old GM" and "New GM" are using the same design, would that not make them liable? If memory serves me correctly, 2007 & 2008 Impalas are the same as 2009, 2010 & 2011... Now the question is, are the suspension components the same?

Car Guy
08-20-2011, 02:05 PM
*no comment* :rolleyes:

brotherbenn83
08-20-2011, 02:24 PM
This suit should be against Goodyear. Any W car of this new body style I have ever seen with Goodyear Integrity (ironic?) tires had this problem. Throw on a nice new set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II and give it an alignment and magically they last forever. Doesn't hurt to have your tires rotated every now and again. My wife's 08 Impala that we leased had 39,000 miles on it when we turned it in and it still had 6/32" tread on all four tires, of course I DID rotate them twice per year.

GTSLOW
08-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I can asure you that rotating them certainly would have helped. However GSA does not pay for rotations.

Prince Valiant
08-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I'd be curious if it has anything to do with the fact that the Obama administrations guaranteed warranties prior to the Bankruptcy filing?

BAD LS1
08-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Isn't tires/alignments a "normal wear" item? Iirc, gm will only cover a alignment complaint up to 7k miles as it would have manifested it's self within or before that time. So why is the warranty term even being used here? Consumers...

GsxrBots
08-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Isn't tires/alignments a "normal wear" item? Iirc, gm will only cover a alignment complaint up to 7k miles as it would have manifested it's self within or before that time. So why is the warranty term even being used here? Consumers...

Tell that to Ford.. Firestone? Just a super shitty way to handle the whole problem.

Posted with my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk.