PDA

View Full Version : Racing License

Al
08-23-2004, 06:23 PM
I just finished the Midwestern Council racing school at Blackhawk on Saturday. So now I have a novice racing license and after completion of 6 races I will have a full competition license.

The class was fun. Basicly, I had three sessions where an instructor sat shotgun and then four sessions solo. Unfortuneately, I was driving a slower car (78 fiesta), but I did manage to pull ahead of some faster cars. For power, my integra is faster, but the brakes were amazing along with the handling.

My goal is to get a C-class car for next summer.

Although they are notorious for their stickers on fart can monsters on the street, Hyperformance has built some very competetive cars for both auto-x and circuit racing. Roy offered to either put a car together for me or tune one that I buy elsewere.

GTSLOW
08-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Very cool! Are you going to be at RA in a month?

SMS 1
08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
"I watch it on ESPN of course. The coverage is amazing."

Congrats man :banana

69LT1
08-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Were you running the Fiesta yesterday too? Saw a red white and blue Fiesta there in race, almost ran it over once coming out of turn 7.

Jeff

Al
08-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Mine was white with some red and blue stripes down the side.

Are you talking about RA or BFR? I was at BFR.

As for RA in a month, not this year. I need a car and lots of gear. The Alstro is going to be sold, and that should cover the majority of the cost. I'm also planning on collecting some owed money (small claims assistance). Then I should have enough. Otherwise a job will make up the difference. Could be pizza delivery.

The car type I want is an ITC. That ITD fiesta was just too slow.

69LT1
08-23-2004, 11:51 PM
I was at BFR. I saw the car. You had a crew guy flashing times over the pit wall didn't you? I was in the red Miata #93 in group 3 race. My buddy Chris drove the same car in the group 6 race.

Jeff

GTSLOW
08-24-2004, 03:17 AM
Were you running the Fiesta yesterday too? Saw a red white and blue Fiesta there in race, almost ran it over once coming out of turn 7.

Jeff

Are you going to be at RA in Oct????

SSmike1
08-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Hey Blue Bullet,
Congrats on the Drivers School!!!!!!! :)

I race the AX events there, on saturdays, 9-11-04 & 9-25-04.
will ya be there?
Black Camaro AX # 57 xs class.

Hey Jeff,
will you be at BFR 9-11 or 9-25?
please stop by and say hi too!

Jeff, what happened in the Group 2 race?
to the guy that crashed? Is he ok? i heard he died?

what happened?

thanks
mike

69LT1
08-24-2004, 10:48 PM
The way it stands now I will not be at Road America in October or back at BFR this year. Every race weekend in Sept. I have other commitments. The last race at BFR this year is on the same weekend as Road America if I am not mistaken, and I will probably be moving that weekend.

I only have about the same info you do about the group 2 race. The fire trucks came as well as flight for life. The helicopter shut its engine down for at least 20 minutes. The fact that there did not seem to be a hurry is probably not good. All I can report are my own observations. There was some speculation at the track about the circumstances leading up to the accident, but I don't want to post rumors out of respect to the man and his family.

Jeff

SSmike1
08-25-2004, 01:02 PM
well
i got the official report from MC
the guy is dead, but he died from a Heart Attack.

he really did not crash, as he had a heart attack while driving, and left the course because he was then unconcious.
the heart attack death, was in no way related to Racing,
or better put, a racing crash.

:sucks

Al
08-28-2004, 01:41 AM
90% chance that I won't make it to bfr this time. I just stopped working on the 27th because school starts up next week and I am taking alot of credits so the job has taken a back seat.

I was in that white fiesta. And yes, they were flashing those cards at me in pits. All I can say is that the fiesta saw soooooooooo slow. But those brakes were great and it could take a turn. I'd catch up with most cars in the turns. I was having a problem with that yellow cavalier. It could out run me, but I'd exit a turn going 10 mph faster. I had a perfect passing opportunity on turn 2 every time I went through it. I was feathering the gas so I wouldn't hit that car. Also, in turn 3, the fiesta would pick up speed rapidly and I could have easily passed on the inside too. But as you know, passing between 1 and 5 was something that they asked us not to do.

Oh yeah, how about that red rx7 with the tinted windows.

Was your miata the smoking one early in the race?

As for bfr coming up. I will go if I can make some extra money before then. I was thinking about trying to paint hoods, fenders and other car parts for people on some of the local forums. I know that I can offer a competetive price to any body shop.

I was also debating on trying to makes some speakerboxes like I did a few years ago. Mine are not the typical partical board, wood screws, and liquid nails type. I have constructed them with mdf, and then "dowled" the edges rather than use screws. The dowles won't shake loose over time like a screw. I also put a reinforcement strip along the inside of each edge. Then I used a router to put a 1 inch radius on all of the outside edges followed by coating the whole box, inside and out, with a wood sealer. The sealed wood is then finish-sanded and painted with automotive paint.

I made two boxes some time ago. One was a simple box and the other had a clear window on the top with a neon light inside. I built both of them as experiments and asked only for the cost of materials because I did not know if they would fail in any way. The paint color was chosen by the two people to match their cars. The lst time I saw the guy with the first box, he said it never had an issue. The other box was stolen two months after I built it.

I might make one this weekend and let someone here test it out. I'll only as for the materials cost again, but after that, charge a little extra.

69LT1
08-28-2004, 05:32 PM
I hope it wasn't my car smoking!! Just installed new engine two weeks ago, this one didn't use any oil. Our old one would use a quart a session. I know what you mean about the yellow Cavalier, my buddy in the lime green Miata traded paint with the Cav in turn one. He had out braked the girl in the Cav coming into one and was right next to her when she turned down on him. I know what you mean about good brakes. In a Spec Miata you can outbrake anything on the track, which makes for a great way to pass.

Hope to see you again.

Jeff

Al
08-29-2004, 09:32 AM
This is cool. Click it to find out why...

http://www.landvoyage.com/viewer_f.asp?pid=232&sid=2385555&mid=0&lid=0&wx=326133&wy=4706037&zn=16&mply=10&mpsc=18000&tool=0