PDA

View Full Version : Teh greatest V-8

Bad-TSi
08-23-2004, 02:20 PM
What do you think is the best, new or old. Based on stock HP and capability, I say the latest version of the Modular 4.6 quad cam Ford V-8 takes all.

Discuss.

animal
08-23-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

The ford 427 cammer (sohc) was pretty damn impressive with 616hp from the factory back in the early 60's, and that was the single carb version (dual carb had 658hp) and turned 7500rpms. For that time period, that's pretty impressive imho especially since it wasn't in some italian exotic. You could get one of these from the factory in a good ole ford galaxie if you wanted to.

As far as capability, i don't know what else you'd need in a street car since tire technology sucked so bad back then.

Lash
08-23-2004, 02:35 PM
What about the old school hemi's? :banana

Otherwise....the possibilities are always endless with the good ol GM 350. :rockwoot:

JC70SS
08-23-2004, 02:45 PM
427 ZL1 BBC! Rated at 425 hp(yeah right) :bsflag from GM.

jbiscuit
08-23-2004, 02:54 PM
old school 392 Hemi....the motor of choice for YEARS in the old school Fueler dragsters....slap a blower on it, run it on Nitro-Methane and slap it in a garage-built "dragster." Not to mention the guys that drove these cars were more animal than the motor was. In the event of an explosion, you would eat metal, fuel, whatever....

http://www.tt.net/logan/photos/gallery/fueler.jpeg

Lash
08-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Damn...looks like that guy is wearing a gas mask in that pic.

BAD LS1
08-23-2004, 02:55 PM
(In my best Lumberg voice, see office space)

Yeah im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there too Peter.... :rolf

Hands down best gm motors are the SBC and BBC and LS1-LS6, and the 231 Buick turbo 6.

The best ford motors IMO is the EFI 302 and the 427 used in the shelby cobras

the best mopar motors are 383 and 440, 426 hemi

The mod motors are neat to a degree, namely the the DOHC version, but are mechanical arseholes and are just like anything else can be blown up as easily as the rest...

They lack displacment, expensive, has a need for forced induction to be fast meaning it cant be to wild w/o, and are FOCKING HUGE!!

There are far more motors you can go ALOT farther with for half the cost of a blown 4.6L DOHC Mod crate motor

animal
08-23-2004, 02:57 PM

Haha. At least someone got it :)

True dat, the mod motors are 'spensive as hell to build up and huge to boot. If i had room for a mod motor, you bet your arse I'd have a big block in there.

Bad-TSi
08-23-2004, 03:03 PM
The mod motors are neat to a degree, namely the the DOHC version, but are mechanical arseholes and are just like anything else can be blown up as easily as the rest...

I don't think anyone popped one yet due to overpowering. X2C motorsports got 800+ whp without even taking the valve covers off. That makes for one hell of a block IMO. What other motors are puttin out those #s stock?

GRNDNL
08-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Big Blocks......70-72 Stage 1 455 buicks and 71-71 HO, 73-73 SD 455 Pontiacs...... Small blocks, 68-70 W-31 Olds and 5.0 Fords......The Jury is still out on the LS1s...... :shades

Hell, the Pop Can Chevvys and Elephant Mopars are still chasing the Station Wagon motored Buick in the F.A.S.T. shootouts....... :rolf Just wait, someone will build a HO Pontiac and take all those F.A.S.T. boys to School...

BAD LS1
08-23-2004, 03:24 PM
The motor is EXSPENSIVE plain and simple, For the handful people who are willing to flog these "exotic" pieces and make something out of nothing, doesnt mean this is the best engine in the world.... :rolleyes:

There are tons of motors out there than have made obscene power with stock bottom end, forced induction is the ONLY thing that makes this motor anything, take that away and what do you got??? That alone makes this motor not very useful in many applications where the forced induction will not work

Im 100 percent certain the latter will agree the mod motor is a big pile of expensive dookie compared to the other small and big block entries from all brands.

jbiscuit
08-23-2004, 03:28 PM
...like the 392!

PB86MCSS
08-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Its hard to argue against the ole' SBC ;). 350-400's, parts availability, cost, easy to work on and reliability are pretty damn good. Yea they might be common but so what? Theres probably a reason for it :D.

Theres plenty of other candidates too and with more potential, but for power/price/etc. and overall this is what I'd choose.

Al
08-23-2004, 05:36 PM
I prefer the LT-5. It has the dohc of the 4.6, but is bigger and puts out more hp...without a blower. (now add one)

But I did forget asbout the old sohc bbf. How about that 7-8 foot timing chain.

BAD LS1
08-23-2004, 05:52 PM
I prefer the LT-5. It has the dohc of the 4.6, but is bigger and puts out more hp...without a blower. (now add one)

Yes!! Proves who can build a better DOHC motor when they want to!!

The little 2.3 Quad4 HO is another good little powerhouse for its day designed by GM, abit you can keep head gaskets in it :rolf

GTSLOW
08-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm gonna have to go with a 96+ 4.3L...........oh wait this is an V8 thread :goof

scubastang
08-23-2004, 07:04 PM
The motor is EXSPENSIVE plain and simple, For the handful people who are willing to flog these "exotic" pieces and make something out of nothing, doesnt mean this is the best engine in the world.... :rolleyes:

There are tons of motors out there than have made obscene power with stock bottom end, forced induction is the ONLY thing that makes this motor anything, take that away and what do you got??? That alone makes this motor not very useful in many applications where the forced induction will not work

Im 100 percent certain the latter will agree the mod motor is a big pile of expensive dookie compared to the other small and big block entries from all brands.

Tom I tend to agree with you on most of what you say, but I don't here. Its not a biased opinion, but the mod motor is a great motor if done right - ie meaning tailoring your mods to suit it. I guess I am in the mind set now of there is nothing else than FI. IF you are talking performance, IMO its the way to go. (nitrous is a different story ;))

Of course a mod motor is not going to compete with a NA or a big CI SB NA to NA -thats not what its intended for! Given FI though, its a proven motor thats being proven time and time again that it can make big big HP.

So please pray tell me whats so crappy about a motor that's block that has been proven to take 1500+hp? Thick ass webbings, good oiling and cooling passages, all you need is a good set of rods/pistons if you go over 400rwhp. Or how about a efficient thick decked good at keeping gaskets OHC design with heads that flow enough out of the box (stock) to run low 8s (4V)?? Or ported 2V heads that have already 8s as well

There are a ton of blower, but more turbo'd mod motor cars running at or close to 500rwhp at 8psi, with quite a bit now from 700-1000rwhp. Yes you can say "its got to have FI to do so", but why the F not? If I am building up a motor, and I want to make 600+rwhp and have it remain docile, IMO you go FI. You can do that easy on a mod motor with a few better internals and FI. Trying that with a NA wont be cheap and wont' be nearly as streetable

just IMO of course ;)

scubastang
08-23-2004, 07:14 PM
ohh yeah the stock style roots blower on the mod motors basically suck ass. Even the Ken Bell blowers are inefficent compared to a turbo.

PTK has a 03 cobra kit out since your basically talking about the 03 Cobra engine (which is not gods gift to men, its just a descent built long block that you could easily do yourself). PTK is seeing their kits at about 8-10 psi make right aroud 500rwhp nothing else modded (I believe one customer gained almost 100rwhp just switching from his stock aenmic blower) which is incredible when comparing to the stock blower. Now most Ken Bell's at around 15+psi make around 600rwhp, and I know the X2C car made around 730rwhp with about the same psi and a turbo

BOSS LX
08-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Not that I will be in line anytime soon to build a mod motor, but they are a great hp making motor.

There is a 6 sec pro 5.0 car that runs a 4.6 based motor, with a STOCK crank, STOCK rods, and STOCK ported heads, no other motor can match that!

There are also many 03 04 cobras running very low 9's, high 8's with never unbolting the valve covers. That is with big boost, nitrous, rear end, and tranny swap.

But then again, I would never want to tear into one! :wooo

turbogarrett
08-23-2004, 07:53 PM
the cobra 4.6 is pretty badass, but my vote has to go with the ls series because there is no way i could fit a ford modular motor in my car :) it was cool watching the c5r's dominate the gt class at road america yesterday :banana

SMS 1
08-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Three words.

Bow Tie Block :burnout

DocDave
08-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Big Block all the way. There is no replacement for displacement! :rockwoot:

My favorite (and my combo) 396 cu in., big bump stick, high rise intake, holley double pumper, stock to mild bottom end. Good for 450 to 500 HP and 11.93 in the 1/4 in a 1967 Chevy II!
:3gears:

lotsals1
08-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Big Block all the way. There is no replacement for displacement! :rockwoot:

My favorite (and my combo) 396 cu in., big bump stick, high rise intake, holley double pumper, stock to mild bottom end. Good for 450 to 500 HP and 11.93 in the 1/4 in a 1967 Chevy II!
:3gears:What no ls1 guys jumpin on this :shades

lotsals1
08-23-2004, 09:33 PM
426 max wedge ---426 superstock hemi-- 455--stage one-409 chevy-406 ford--429scj ford 440 magnum hp2
mighty mice --LS1--340 magnum ---351scj ford --302 chevy-273 super comando ---boost motors shouldnt be included imo
Hell there are 6 - 7 sec 4 bangers due to boost - boost over comes a lot of engineering set backs --its to the point that motors are just a host for boost

Bad-TSi
08-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Scuba knows whats up.

If you think about it, of coarse it needs FI to make those kind of #'s, It'd have to be one huge motor otherwise. And don't use the motors price against it, just think about how mutch if would cost to duplicate 800whp naturally aspirated with an LS1 setup. The bare 7 liter block is like 5 grand! :wow

I just watched another Cobra on the dyno tonite, 1,700 miles, air filter + cat back = 406whp. Two bolt ons and its putting down almost 20 more hp then factory flywheel #'s. :wow

Cleveland Dave
08-23-2004, 09:46 PM
id take a 455 stage 1 anyday over that sc cobra engine.

lotsals1
08-23-2004, 09:55 PM
id take a 455 stage 1 anyday over that sc cobra engine.big torque beast

GTSLOW
08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Three words.

Bow Tie Block :burnout

Hey gm makes a 4.3L bowtie block!!!! If you resleave the block and get a stroker kit, gm says you can get upto 5.2Ls of dicplacemnt!!!!! :wooo

5.2L V-6 = :3gears:

Al
08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
ohh yeah the stock style roots blower on the mod motors basically suck ass. Even the Ken Bell blowers are inefficent compared to a turbo.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. The twin screw is the most efficient method of compressing air. Unlike a turbo or centrifical blower, the twin screw spins slower. The reduced speed decreases the drastic changes in the velocity of the air. Also, the throttle plate is commonly found before the charger. This means that the charger only compresses the air going into the engine. Turbos and paxton-style blowers typically have the throttle plate after the charger. This means that they have ambient pressured air flowing through them at all times (compressing air that might not get used).

A turbo might offer a little more mid range power at the same psi, but the hp dies off quickly and the power has a delay attached. Twin screws offer the flattest torque curve of all.

Last, when compressing air, the twin-screw uses the least amount of power at ANY given cfm or psi.

lotsals1
08-23-2004, 10:06 PM
stick a whipple on anything it will fly
they are makeing kits for big inch motors now that arent that much
and make big hp but even bigger torque
hell the diesel trucks at 4500lbs+ now are in the 10s

Prince Valiant
08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Sorry...but easily the 426 hemi

...urge to write....disertation...raising :goof

BAD LS1
08-23-2004, 11:32 PM
There aint no point in trying to convince anyone of anything, :sucks

Everyones got there side and im not gonna sit here and argue about something that is NOT anywhere close to being the best engine on earth.

Im a traditionalist, i like pushrod power... End of of story, my truck has a DOHC motor, but then again thats my daily driver not a hot rod.

blyth18md
08-24-2004, 12:33 PM
everybody knows the chevy 307 was the best stock motor ever.

theavenger333
08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
teh iron duke is the greatest GM motor EVAR

Bad-TSi
08-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Alot of you people on here are extremely biased. Jeez, open your eyes sometimes. I never used to like LS1s either, I thought they were pushrod slugs, untill i seen some of the # they were making on stock lower ends with a turbocharger. Then I saw the light, you guys however, are hopeless. Look at the thing, it takes 1000hp with a bone stock lower end!! You may not belive its the greatest motor ever, but I don't see how you say its a POS. You're just baised. If GM came out with that motor you guys would have one in your lawnmowers.

Teufelhunden
08-24-2004, 01:59 PM

Don't be sorry. :thumbsup

BAD LS1
08-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Alot of you people on here are extremely biased. Jeez, open your eyes sometimes.

Whos being biased here? Who should open their eyes?? Explain this---> "The 4.6 DOHC is the best engine ever" or your other choice "some other crap" :wtf is that?? sounds pretty damn opinionitive to me...

Im not gonna bow down to something and kiss your ass on something i dont think is the end all be all of internal combustion engine existance...

This is a pretty homo topic and obviously with a whole 3 votes going for modular motorhome the rest of us agree there are better engines out there.

I listed in my prior statment all the V8's from the big 3 i felt were awsome candidates for best engine choice because there are many ways to skin a cat... So my eyes were OPEN---> :wooo and my views were not biased, just so happens they are pushrod engines, But those are the real world power makers.

Did i mention this particular :sucks ??

scubastang
08-24-2004, 03:05 PM
well I agree its not a good poll, but there is truth to both sides. You can't really say "what is the best engine period", because when you build up a engine, its gonna be modded in many ways differenet that stock if your looking for big power. I could vote that a dart blocked SBF is the best engine ever, but is it really a "ford" engine still?

Yes you can make power easier with older pushrod engines, but prices on LS1s and Mod Motors are coming down to basically pushrod prices and the aftermarket is booming.

Arguing which is better, a newer ls1/mod motor vs a 1970 426hemi? Of course the newer motors are better - christt they better be with almost 50 years of engineering progress behind them or else I might as well drive a godd damm fuking pinto.

Coming stock from the factory? Best engines to date are arguably the aforementioned 03-04 Cobra motor, the 02+ Z06 LS motor, and the 2JZ-GTE Supra motor

Bad-TSi
08-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Whos being biased here? Who should open their eyes?? Explain this---> "The 4.6 DOHC is the best engine ever" or your other choice "some other crap" :wtf is that?? sounds pretty damn opinionitive to me...
Dude, its a joke man, lighten up. :goof

EDIT: I wasnt being serious about the 4.6 being the greatest motor ever. I was just giving it props, but some of you guys talk like its a peice of crap, and its far from that. As far as stock HP capabilty goes, its a tough motor to beat.

lotsals1
08-24-2004, 06:13 PM
on pushrod power only "no boost :rolleyes: " would say the ls1 has the cake
i like a ton of motors for specific reasons
but from a engineering stand point on a n/a mass production motor it is very hard to argue the power these lil buggers make
there are tons of cam and headers cars that are makeing 440+ hp and over 400ftlbs and runnin those numbers on 92 octane fuel
thats bad ass imo - now most of the ls1's down fall is that most of the cars that they stuck them in have an abnoxious cowl that sticks 1/2 way over the motor limitting the room to stick a nice whipple on it
the down fall also is the cast pistons -but for haveing those setbacks guys still manage to overcome them with cam /fuel combinations
now if they made a 5.4 forged bottom end blower assisted ls2 head based car
the shizit really would hit the fan
before ford started superchargeing there performance vehicles -what numbers and e/t's were being layed down by those vehicles --14's 280ish
ford took a big gamble with the 03 cobra and almost cost them everything
i salute them for haveing the balls to do it --but they had to do it in order to stay competitive with --not only gm --but the new hemi as well
the new hemi is a bad lil mofo --the bottom end is awsome and we will see some big friggen numbers out of them -when they lose all that drive by wire crap "hell i wish i had one to mess with " the intake on those things are the gahyest part
jam a sc on a hemispherical chamber motor "hell keith black has already showed us what happens " dodge has that in mind :shades and i cant wait for more whipple hemi cars and for them to stick it into something other than a mutant station wagon :thumbsup
MAGNUMS are fugly and heavy -bring back the hemi cuda and the the ls1 goes bubbye there is no way they will not make it --i bet within a year the concept will hit the shows :wow and it will be the car to beat

Stangman98
08-24-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm not really going to answer this. For once I have to agree with Steve on some of his points...
This is my answer...Until GM makes a PRODUCTION car (Less then 5 Years old) where the BONE STOCK LONGBLOCK can and has proven to hold more then 1K RWHP the '03-'04 4V DOHC is the baddest motor on the planet. I have yet to see ANY STOCK 350 hold a candle to 1000HP without serious work done to it.

lotsals1
08-24-2004, 09:56 PM
rods pistons and the same amount of boost should be enough

Al
08-24-2004, 10:27 PM
I could vote that a dart blocked SBF is the best engine ever, but is it really a "ford" engine still?

Dar has been known to handle well over (understatement) 1000hp. Doesn't rousch make a killer block too. What about Yates, do they make blocks too?

SMS 1
08-24-2004, 10:57 PM
I'd rather be driving this V8. No doubt it could handle some extremely high power values :)

http://www.benross.co.uk/media/04_Images/V8.jpg

Pig Pen
08-25-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm not to fond of the tomato juice V8...

jbiscuit
08-25-2004, 01:03 PM
somebody mentioned it already but don't forget the Supra inline 6 for a second. This topic should be: "What is the baddest motor of all time?" There are guys with stock bottom end Supras turning 850-950+ RWHP. Thats insane!

lotsals1
08-25-2004, 09:24 PM
this is with a single stage makeing 190hp @ the rear wheels
"Home of the World's Quickest Stock Shortblock LS1" 9.69@135.01
icon motorsports

Al
08-25-2004, 09:58 PM
teh iron duke is the greatest GM motor EVAR

What is that?

Well, I can't say the "best," in terms of power, because I'd put a flathead on my top list of favorite engines.

HITMAN
08-25-2004, 10:20 PM

I'll third this nomination.
It's the best stock based N/A, the best blown alky, and by far and away the best on Nitro.

If you don't believe me about the best stock based N/A, I suggest you check and see what engine powers the current NHRA SS/A and SS/AA Super Stock record holders... ;)

Bad-TSi
08-25-2004, 10:36 PM
OK then people, how about the greatest production V-8. What other V-8 is capable of those HP #s without taking the heads off?

HITMAN
08-25-2004, 10:42 PM
OK then people, how about the greatest production V-8. What other V-8 is capable of those HP #s without taking the heads off?

N/A or anything goes? Foreign, Domestic or what have you? Modified or stock?

Be specific.

Bad-TSi
08-25-2004, 10:44 PM
N/A or anything goes? Foreign, Domestic or what have you? Modified or stock?

Be specific.

Any kind, any aspiration, and bone stock lower end.

HITMAN
08-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Well, this Mercedes V8 out of the SLR makes 626hp stock.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-mno/Mercedes-Benz-SLR-McLaren-Engine-1280x960.jpg

Bad-TSi
08-25-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm talking about HP capability. What can that thing handle?

HITMAN
08-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Conceivably, the 426 Hemi with nothing more than some added boost or N2O could easily make 1000 + hp on it's stock bottom end. Cross bolted mains, Kellogg steel crank, forged pistons and rods that had a MINIMUM of 7/16 rod bolts in them. No outsourced Manley rods or Mahle pistons like the Cobra engine either.

The Ray Barton built Hemis that power those Super Stockers I mentioned make around 900hp N/A with mostly factory parts. They've just been massaged a bit... :burnout

HITMAN
08-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm talking about HP capability. What can that thing handle?

Don't know exactly, but McLaren put their name on it, and it's covered by a full MB warranty. I would say it's capable of a LOT more than that stock rating.

PB86MCSS
08-26-2004, 12:00 AM
thats bad ass imo - now most of the ls1's down fall is that most of the cars that they stuck them in have an abnoxious cowl that sticks 1/2 way over the motor limitting the room to stick a nice whipple on it
the down fall also is the cast pistons -but for haveing those setbacks guys still manage to overcome them with cam /fuel combinations

Do an LS1 swap to a g-body then :) .

Prince Valiant
08-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Conceivably, the 426 Hemi with nothing more than some added boost or N2O could easily make 1000 + hp on it's stock bottom end. Cross bolted mains, Kellogg steel crank, forged pistons and rods that had a MINIMUM of 7/16 rod bolts in them. No outsourced Manley rods or Mahle pistons like the Cobra engine either.

The Ray Barton built Hemis that power those Super Stockers I mentioned make around 900hp N/A with mostly factory parts. They've just been massaged a bit... :burnout Amen.

What other car has heads, that bone stock, no porting can flow enough to support almost 800hp? Oh, and did I forget to mention that this is natrually aspirated?

Hot rod did an article a little while back in which they took a hemi crate motor (single four barrel intake unlike the dual quads of old, hydrualic cam that was milder than the old solids of the original, headers) and dyno'd it at 490+hp (yeah, and some don't believe the hemi of old wasn't underrated)....slapped a blower on it running mild boost (around 8-10 psi iirc?) and made almost 800hp.

And of course...it's the motor that is the basis of every top fuel motor. You know, the ones that push cars into the 4's at over 330mph?

Every make has some great motors (although, I will always say the mod motors in NA form are fair at best...I only dig the blown ones) with ford and chevy having some great, great examples.

But to disagree with keith...while there are a couple of buicks in the top ranks in FAST (with the fastest of them being of all things, a skylark), and a couple of chevy's as well....80% of the elite in fast is mopars (both hemi's and wedges) and dave dudek's hemi challenger is still the fastest.

Moparjim
08-26-2004, 09:31 AM
426 Hemi...

Drag racing? Salt Flats? Ever heard of a 426 HEMI??? How does 4 second quarter miles sound? Anyone that doubts Chrysler HEMI supremecy should read a book - EVERY top fuel dragster, funny car, etc is powered by a HEMI based on the Chrysler 426 to this very day....Super Stock drag racing and NASCAR were also ruled by the HEMI...NASCAR effectively had to ban the thing, and the Chrysler winged cars as well requiring Chryslers to run a smaller restricter plate than the other manufacturers...

I could write a dissertation too hehe but that cut and pasted from a post I made on hirevwi.com will have to do for now....

Teufelhunden
08-26-2004, 10:41 AM
AND if I remember right...it was Bad-TSi who got all up in your ass on that hirevwi.com post.

Bad-TSi
08-26-2004, 01:33 PM
The Hemi is great, but the 440 was faster out of the box. That motor looses some cool points there.

And you can say that the hemi made so mutch power N/A, but it was huge. The 281 Ci of the 4.6 is kindof a handicap for n/a perposes, but the 5.4 4v modular motor in the 2000 Cobra R put out 385hp, and I'd say thats not bad. More HP then the LS6 had then with less displacement. And the n/a DOHC 4.6 makes 320hp and its more then a liter less then the other 300hp domestic V-8s, gotta give props there. If Ford decided to produce a 7 liter modular, I'm shure it would have a healthy HP rating.

I will admit, beating out the Hemi is a tough task, but I think the 4.6 will go down in history as one of the greats. Look how well its doing in drag racing, and what it does on the street. Not to mention it's only improving. The latest 3 valve SOHC version is gonna be 300hp. Plus you can get it in an actuall sports car and not just a pickup truck or a station wagon. :goof

lotsals1
08-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Do an LS1 swap to a g-body then :) .do thety come with ores "they kinda give a new meaning to launch" :rolf j/k

PB86MCSS
08-31-2004, 01:20 AM
do thety come with ores "they kinda give a new meaning to launch"

Don't know too many who have had problems launching a g-body... :burnout

Moparjim
08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Hands down the 426 Hemi.

Dominated NASCAR at the height of the musclecar era, still the only motor I know of that was for intents and purposes BANNED by requiring a restrictor plate on them.

Dominated and still dominates most drag racing, Hemi Darts and Cudas set all the records in SS/A or whatever, again they were handicapped harshly with weight penalties in many classes. Still every single top fuel dragster and funny car sports a 426 hemi based aftermarket motor.

Salt Flats - Hemi dominated as well. Even shit like tractor pulls has Hemis all over the record books.

Basically any time you are talking ridiculous horsepower, your talking Hemi. It was by far the most robust and highest power available of any factory motor ever made. Sure, other motors like the big block Chevy and Ford 5.0L/4.6L are awesome motors and economical as hell, that's why they dominate the mid horsepower levels of drag racing. Top dog is still the hemi though.

68RR440
08-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Wow, 2 year old thread!

Reverend Cooper
08-20-2006, 09:00 PM
i will stick with my little 281 ci. 4.6 3v motor its small and very slow. by the way they are saying the the 3v flows as good or better than the 4v. no offense to anyone.

Lash
08-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Wow, 2 year old thread!

Ditto!!! Somebody must have been bored.....or :alcoholic

MurphysLaw88GT
08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
426 MAX WEDGE STAGE III/or HEMI are my favorites, but cmon, lots of awesome motors are out there!

BadAzzGTA89
08-20-2006, 09:53 PM
I will say the Elephant nuff said:thumbsup

juicedimpss
08-20-2006, 10:00 PM
i didnt vote,there is no option for LT1...........
:headbang

awsomeears
08-20-2006, 10:39 PM
307 Split-Fire BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70challenger
08-20-2006, 11:13 PM
the old 426 is still number one in my book. they've been using them in top fuel forever ( before that was the 392 hemi ) and they've got them up to 8000 hp :wooo not to mention they kicked major a** in the 60's and early 70's in nascar.

for new stuff i think the gm gen III small block because of easy modding and big horsepower not to mention they are still a very simple motor.

as far as the 4.6, they're awesome with boost but a nightmare to work on.

Waver
08-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Easy, Iwill break it down to makes and this is for v8 cars, or gm would have a hell of a lot more like the 3.8 and the 3.1

Ford= 302 (inclueds the new cammer engine), 4.6.,351, and any Cobra jet car

Chevy/gm: 305 (long lasting engine, not that powerful) 350 (lt series) and the Ls series, Northstar engines as well.

codge/chrysler...The old school Hemi's, not the new wanna be hemis.

MurphysLaw88GT
08-21-2006, 09:33 AM
^^^^^betcha you will eat those words about the new hemi when the aftermarket catches up to them

GRNDNL
08-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow, 2 year old thread!

Hey.......be nice to Jim, he likes Mopars and went to public schools, its amazing he's only 2 years behind the rest of us.......:durr :banana1:

Slow Joe
08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I was looking at the dates and then was like wait a second... This is two years old :rolf

88Nightmare
08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
(In my best Lumberg voice, see office space)

Hands down best gm motors are the SBC and BBC and LS1-LS6, and the 231 Buick turbo 6.

The best ford motors IMO is the EFI 302 and the 427 used in the shelby cobras

the best mopar motors are 383 and 440, 426 hemi

They lack displacment, expensive, has a need for forced induction to be fast meaning it cant be to wild w/o, and are FOCKING HUGE!!

There are far more motors you can go ALOT farther with for half the cost of a blown 4.6L DOHC Mod crate motor

im with this guy.

the buick turbo motors rule :headbang

Teufelhunden
08-21-2006, 11:59 AM
I saw this thread at the top of the forum yesterday and without MoparJim's post. Someone voted without posting which brought it up to the top.

GTSLOW
08-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I saw this thread at the top of the forum yesterday and without MoparJim's post. Someone voted without posting which brought it up to the top.

It's all these friggen n00bs.

Waver
08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
^^^^^betcha you will eat those words about the new hemi when the aftermarket catches up to them

The thing is that I dont really consider the new hemis real hemis.....they dont share many of the same features that made the old school hemis great, infact just because the piston design is the same dosnt mean that it is is a true hemi, because arnt all engines like that now? I could be wrong, but that is just my honest opinion

77thor
08-22-2006, 10:38 AM

+1

nothing better than a big block

Moparjim
08-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Yep it was already resurrected from the dead when I chimed in! I didn't dig it up!

Flicktitty
01-30-2007, 12:26 AM
holy old thread batman! who voted to bump this up?

2SLOW
01-30-2007, 10:28 AM

**** yeah!!!!^^^ also the 1970 454 ls6 4 bolt main 450hp 500lbs tq (factory rating;) )

Teufelhunden
01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
holy old thread batman! who voted to bump this up?Yoo, a little help?
http://www.sdnl.nl/images/guillotine.gif

GRM-REPR
01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Where did this thread come from..? Since it's here, ill dump my2cents....

Buick, 1970 GS Stage 2 455. Old school, raw hp and torque. Conservatively rated at 370hp and 510ftlbs of torque (still to this day the most factory torque EVER in a car).

Thank you....Jon

FANAT1C
01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Since it got bumped I voted finally. :D

MurphysLaw88GT
01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Old ass post!!!!

HITMAN
01-31-2007, 12:52 AM
I just noticed how old this thread is, and the fact that I just reiterated what I said three years ago makes this post redundant.

350-Z28
01-31-2007, 01:49 AM
Personally I'm all about the SBC both first gen and third gen. I will admit those 4.6 cobra motors are pretty bad ass and look impressive as hell under the hood. I dunno something about a 6-bolt main damn near bullet proof bottom end just gets me goin. Especially the LS7. If God ever created an engine, it would be the LS7.