PDA

View Full Version : Ford... ruh roh.

Lash
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/08/08/nhtsa-investigating-complaints-about-chinese-made-ford-mustang-transmissions/#ixzz1UT6Susmt

Ricky Bobby
08-09-2011, 05:35 PM
mmm gotta love Chinese made shit

austena123
08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Yikes, this is no good.

pOrk
08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
LOL, so Ford is no better then GM. Made in China, Assembled in Mexico, sold in USofA.

Reverend Cooper
08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
ford has had trans issues forever this is not new news

DRK
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
32 out of 26,000? I would say that's 32 people who can't drive a stick and fucked up their transmission.

Lash
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
32 out of 26,000? I would say that's 32 people who can't drive a stick and fucked up their transmission.

Those are only the reports to the NHTSA, how many were reported to Ford?

Rocket Power
08-09-2011, 06:32 PM
A FoxNews.com analysis of the recent NHTSA complaints indicates that a number of the owners may not be aware of a special feature found on V8-powered Mustangs that forces the transmission to shift directly from 1st to 4th gear under light throttle application. This is intended to increase fuel efficiency during the EPA fuel economy testing procedure and cannot be turned off, but is overridden during hard acceleration. The manual transmissions in the Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro SS, both built by a different supplier, function in a similar way.

Al
08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
The Chinese will build a part to the quality specifications that WE give them.

China has access to every piece of manufacturing equipment that we do. The people are also highly educated in mathematics and the sciences. If you provide them with tolerance requirements, the Chinese will follow your guidelines.

The real fault lies on those who told the Chinese what to do.

CATNHAT
08-09-2011, 07:55 PM

You mean: 32 Camaro "conquest buyers" who cant drive a Ford manual.:goof

1320PNY
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Skipshift FTL.

lordairgtar
08-09-2011, 11:40 PM

China has access to every piece of manufacturing equipment that we do. The people are also highly educated in mathematics and the sciences. If you provide them with tolerance requirements, the Chinese will follow your guidelines.

That's all well and good, but if they use inferior materials (which they sometimes do) problems will happen. My 2007 HHR had trouble with the Chinese made brake rotors, the 2010 HHR I now have has not exhibited any trouble although they are still Chinese sourced. My Chinese veneer caliper is a piece of crap compared to my Japanese Mituyo set.

IcePickFreak
08-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Did you tell Ford you got the problem figured out?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

animal
08-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Ah yes, china, the pinnacle of quality. :rolf

-stew-
08-10-2011, 04:34 PM

The sub-dollar a day men, women and children worker bees making car parts, junk tools, toys, clothes, and every other piece of shit most people and businesses run to buy to save a buck (not caring they may trample their friends/family/neighbors into the unemployment line) are not highly educated. Or skilled. And building shit to spec is only good if someone from the buyer (in this case Ford) takes the time to check the spec and reject the bad items. And that reminds me I need to fire off an email to Snap-On about this bullshit chinese junk garbage they sold me...

TheRX7Project
08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
The sub-dollar a day men, women and children worker bees making car parts, junk tools, toys, clothes, and every other piece of shit most people and businesses run to buy to save a buck (not caring they may trample their friends/family/neighbors into the unemployment line) are not highly educated. Or skilled. And building shit to spec is only good if someone from the buyer (in this case Ford) takes the time to check the spec and reject the bad items. And that reminds me I need to fire off an email to Snap-On about this bullshit chinese junk garbage they sold me...

The American public is not prepared to buy "Made in America". Imagine how expensive EVERYTHING would be if it cost 10x as much for labor. While I think it would be great if this happened, i.e. if we got rid of NAFTA and started tarriffing the shit out of imported goods- the public as a while does not want to make the sacrifices necessary. We want to live on MORE, not less.

Reverend Cooper
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
it soon wont be after the unions go bye bye

Rocket Power
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
The American public is not prepared to buy "Made in America". Imagine how expensive EVERYTHING would be if it cost 10x as much for labor. While I think it would be great if this happened, i.e. if we got rid of NAFTA and started tarriffing the shit out of imported goods- the public as a while does not want to make the sacrifices necessary. We want to live on MORE, not less.Imagine how expensive those Springfield XD's would be if they actually had to make them here instead of just slapping on the American name on the Croation gun and jacking up the price like they do now.:goof Or their Brazilian 1911 frames.:goof
Probably cut into their gigantic ad budget a bit.

STANMAN
08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Imagine how expensive those Springfield XD's would be if they actually had to make them here instead of just slapping on the American name on the Croation gun and jacking up the price like they do now.:goof Or their Brazilian 1911 frames.:goof
Probably cut into their gigantic ad budget a bit.

HS2000 FTW, I have one in my collection, they are rare as hell, you hardly EVER see them.

Wagonbacker9
08-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Skipshift FTL.

had it go off in my car ONCE. Apparently I drive too hard for it to be triggered. darn?

brotherbenn83
08-12-2011, 09:50 AM
had it go off in my car ONCE. Apparently I drive too hard for it to be triggered. darn?

Eliminated it from my GTO with a $0.21 resistor from Radio Shack.

GTSLOW
08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I just bought the eliminator. Mine would come on at the most unexpected times.

TransAm12sec
08-12-2011, 05:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAfUOfSY-S0

uAfUOfSY-S0

STANMAN
08-12-2011, 07:29 PM
I couldn't watch the whole video, the 70's cheesiness was killing me. I did get through the part about variation vs. consistancy. GM was VERY consistant, I will give it that. 10 bolts consistantly blow up with the addition of a CAI or sticky tires, lol.

CATNHAT
08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAfUOfSY-S0

uAfUOfSY-S0

I liked it, although engineers are not actors, they are very intelligent. Not sure of the date of production of this video but sure looks like the beginning of the Six-Sigma philosophy. The basis of Six-Sigma is 99.997% consitiency.

GTSLOW
08-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I couldn't watch the whole video, the 70's cheesiness was killing me. I did get through the part about variation vs. consistancy. GM was VERY consistant, I will give it that. 10 bolts consistantly blow up with the addition of a CAI or sticky tires, lol.

I dunno I've seen some 10bolts put thru hell. Still a POS none the less.

STANMAN
08-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I dunno I've seen some 10bolts put thru hell. Still a POS none the less.

Josepy's is the one I always think of when someone says "some were good", they should bronze that one and hang it at GM headquarters, lol.

GTSLOW
08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
It was the golden factory freak of differentials :goof

FoxStang
08-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I liked it, although engineers are not actors, they are very intelligent. Not sure of the date of production of this video but sure looks like the beginning of the Six-Sigma philosophy. The basis of Six-Sigma is 99.997% consitiency.

Continuous improvement is a lean philosophy, not six-sigma. Even though six-sigma borrows allot from lean, there's some key differences. Also, six sigma is 99.99966% (99.9997% if we round), which is a hell of a difference from 99.997% when you get into DPMO.

Al
08-13-2011, 02:22 PM
That's all well and good, but if they use inferior materials (which they sometimes do) problems will happen. My 2007 HHR had trouble with the Chinese made brake rotors, the 2010 HHR I now have has not exhibited any trouble although they are still Chinese sourced. My Chinese veneer caliper is a piece of crap compared to my Japanese Mituyo set.

You cannot say with certainty that it was the Chinese' call to drop the standards for the parts being produced. GM knows what materials and techniques are being used to make their brake rotors. GM has control over this because they have people on the floor at the plants in China.

I bet you went to the dealership and the service manager said "it is those darn Chinese brake rotors that are giving you the problems." A ploy; this is the default answer at any big-three dealership when part-quality is in question.

Did you tell Ford you got the problem figured out?

Ford knew what they were doing all along.

As mentioned earlier, it is all to easy to blame the Chinese. Ford has much more control over this situation that they want you to believe.

The last time I checked, the Chinese do much better at math and science than the US. At the unskilled labor level, the Chinese actually have a more educated population than the US. Try comparing Youngstown with Xi'an.

As for Snap-On, they already know about their tool quality. Blame Snap-On, not China. Snap-On knew exactly what they were doing when they closed their US plants and moved them to China.

TransAm12sec
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM

1986/1987

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1263

http://books.google.com/books?id=CiunygZ90TsC&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=ford+mazda+transmission+Batavia+quality&source=bl&ots=lcip_DNBO8&sig=1vb7TKE3gxhj3z29BhC2hx3bTXQ&hl=en&ei=AnXdTI-bFJStngfwqY3LDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAQ

wrencher
08-19-2011, 12:57 AM
I am suprised they only found 32 for the NHTSA investigation.
I know the tech's @ a couple ford shops + what i've seen there's an issue.
If you work on manual's if you seen this thing you know it a piece of @#$!.
Brass for the the lining material for the ALL the blocker rings for the synchronizer assemblies. LOL! What is this a 50's car?
Tons of threads out there on this too;
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/293597-2011-2012-getrag-mt-82-mustang-6-speed-transmission-internal-shift-linkage-problems.html
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20901384568&topic=16191
Good thread on this:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-197-mustang-gt-2011/1282120-broken-mt82-pics.html