PDA

View Full Version : Legally going through red traffic lights.

SSScottSS
08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm sure most are aware of this law, but some may not be and I figured I would try to help educate anyone who does not know that motorcycles and bicycles can go through red lights in Wisconsin as long as you wait 45 seconds and no other vehicles to actuate the light you need to change. Here is the law .....

Notwithstanding subd. 1., a motorcycle, moped, motor
bicycle, or bicycle facing a red signal at an intersection may, after
stopping as required under subd. 1. for not less than 45 seconds,
proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns
green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate
the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor
bicycle, or bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated.
The operator of a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle proceeding
through a red signal under this subdivision shall yield the right−of−way
to any vehicular traffic, pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric personal
assistive mobility device proceeding through a green signal at the
intersection or lawfully within a crosswalk or using the intersection. This subdivision
does not affect any authorization for a bicyclist under subd. 2.

I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I do it though LOL

GTSLOW
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Always wondered about that as I've seen people on mototcycles sitting at lights forever!

WickedSix
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
light on 164 and national used to leave me stranded all the time....took advantage of the law more than once there....

WhatsADSM
08-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Never knew that.

michelle
08-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Now this is a law that makes sense.

DurtyKurty
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAacxGiV4A

LIL EVO
08-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Most new intersections are going to the sensors that look like cameras on top of the light poles and not that weight/under car sensor thing.

Larrygto
08-04-2011, 12:49 PM
My MINI wont trigger the light by my house, can I go too? lol

PureSound15
08-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I do this all the time BUT, I have been pulled over for it twice.

Both cops said that I didn't "wait long enough" which is ridiculous to me. If there isn't any traffic and I'm sitting at a light that I know I won't trigger with my radiator fan blowing 200* air at me... I'm going.

Good to post though since I've gotten the weirdest looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PonyKiller87
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
It's not really a weight thing, its more of a magnetic field thing. If you have a bike or car that is mostly aluminum it won't disrupt the field enough to trigger the lights. There are company's that make a device that you stick to the bottom of the bike and power it off the ignition and it creates enough field to trip the lights. I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but can't find much for reviews on them.

pOrk
08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
It's not really a weight thing, its more of a magnetic field thing. If you have a bike or car that is mostly aluminum it won't disrupt the field enough to trigger the lights. There are company's that make a device that you stick to the bottom of the bike and power it off the ignition and it creates enough field to trip the lights. I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but can't find much for reviews on them.

Yea, its called a magnet :)

PonyKiller87
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah but you would need a big ass magnet. The things they sell are small electro magnets basicaly.

torque.hit
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I had to go through one on my bicycle a few weeks ago.

-stew-
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I've heard of this in other states, didn't know it was legal here in Wisco. I've done it before, I thought I was being a bad ass. I failed once again...

lilws6
08-04-2011, 04:41 PM
on my gsxr 600 at the lights coming off the freeway at hwy 164 i used to get stuck all the time but only once was i able to go after 45 seconds. usually cars would pull up behind me in that alotted time. Now i think they have new sensors and my busa is bigger so i usually trip them right away. Few other places i've gone thru and people do look at you like wtf i wana go too. but i have the right to :goof

shoooo32
08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I've heard of people putting hard drive magnets under their bikes. Supposedly with good results but I've yet to try it.

SSScottSS
08-05-2011, 08:20 AM
on my gsxr 600 at the lights coming off the freeway at hwy 164 i used to get stuck all the time but only once was i able to go after 45 seconds. usually cars would pull up behind me in that alotted time. Now i think they have new sensors and my busa is bigger so i usually trip them right away. Few other places i've gone thru and people do look at you like wtf i wana go too. but i have the right to :goof

If no other cars pull up to trigger the light you have the right to. If there were other cars waiting at the light, then you don't thave the right to go through

pnad
08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Just about everytime I do this, the light changes when I get to the otherside of the intersection.

Russ Jerome
08-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Southbound Goodhope to 45 (carpool/bike side) wont trigger, wish the cops would sit there and get the hoodrats in the bus/carpool lane ;(

BoosTT
08-11-2011, 07:45 AM
I know of a nice strech of them on gulf road in peweukee. Sometimes I use them as a break to stand up and relax my hands, lol. I've gone through about 15 a year; however, most of them are big intersections that I would rather not "run".

lilws6
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
If no other cars pull up to trigger the light you have the right to. If there were other cars waiting at the light, then you don't thave the right to go through

i'm talking about the other cars already on the road say that you turn on to. they look at you like why do they get to go but like i said i don't get to do it often.

kevcuda
12-15-2012, 09:20 PM
law or no law I don't think many people will sit at a light for hours. Having to have a law for common sense...Priceless

Rocket Power
12-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Had to use this almost every time going wb on Greenfield where it crosses National in Stallis on my second shift nights.

Al
12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
One way to deal with these intersections is with a right-hand turn followed by a u-turn and a second right turn. But some times, the u turn is not practical or legal.

Some of my least favorite intersections are on Mequon road. The intersections won't pick up motorcycles and also have left turn lanes. I have already contacted the Mequon Police about this. They usually tell me "you can't legally run a red light" and leave it at that.

I want to legally avenge Mequon. My plan is to get a bunch of people on small motorcycles and clog up/not trigger an intersection during the morning commute. Mequon will pay attention after this.

BTW- they can increase the sensitivity of the magnetic sensors. I know this because other intersections can detect motorcycles.

I have also placed larger rare-earth magnets underneath my motorcycle as well as a 150lb-rated magnetic hoist. Both do nothing!

LIL EVO
12-19-2012, 06:43 PM
You can go through red lights on a bike..

The Bike Fed recently had the law changed in Wisconsin so it is now legal for bicycles to ride through red lights after stopping and waiting for 45 seconds if they suspect the light is actuated but is not tuned to detect bicycles.
Wisconsin statute 346.37(1)(c)(4) outlines the one exception to general rule of stopping for red lights for operators of bicycles, motorcycles, mopeds and motorbikes. The exception is for intersections where the lights are controlled by vehicle-actuated sensors – that is, the light will only change when it senses that a vehicle is present. Some sensors do not pick up smaller vehicles, such as bicycles and motorcycles, and therefore will not change no matter how long the operator waits at the light. If you are on a bicycle and have waited at least 45 seconds at a red light, and you believe the light only changes color when it senses the presence of a motor vehicle, you may proceed through the intersection if it is safe to do s.o
Here’s exactly what the statute says:
“a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle facing a red signal at an intersection may, after stopping as required under subd. 1. for not less than 45 seconds, proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated. The operator of a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle proceeding through a red signal under this subdivision shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicular traffic, pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric personal assistive mobility device proceeding through a green signal at the intersection or lawfully within a crosswalk or using the intersection.”