PDA

View Full Version : Carb / Engine ID

LIL EVO
08-03-2011, 10:05 AM
I picked up a Land Cruiser with some American power plant in it.

1) What year/type of carb is it
2) What year/type of engine

I need an alternator

I also need a carb rebuild kit

http://lilevo.com/pictures/71lc/engine/

Moparjim
08-03-2011, 10:17 AM
The carb looks like just a "newer" "generic" Holley aftermarket replacement like a 600 vacuum secondary. I say "newer" because the vacuum actuator on the side appears in the pics to be a plastic one. It should have list and part numbers stamped into the choke housing.

The motor looks to me like a regular old small block Chevy unless I am mistaken. Without more info or casting numbers or whatever its hard to say more, probably one of the millions of 350s they made. Again, it looks like the manifold is aftermarket Edelbrock, so who knows the thing may have been rebuilt, aftermarket cam, etc so its really hard to say it could be damn near anything small block Chevy at this point.

WickedSix
08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
SBC.... very popular swap for the older flat fender cruisers..

LIL EVO
08-03-2011, 11:55 AM
So if I need an alternator, how or what would I search for?

Moparjim
08-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Looks to me like the "standard" brackets that you would see on just about any small block musclecar or hot rod.

Should be able to just pick up any "one wire GM alternator" of probably anywhere from 50-100 amps lol. They sell them at Summit, Jegs, etc. any parts store - pick a mid 70s vehicle if you have to. Or hit any junkyard they probably have a hundred of them on the shelf. Its literally a top and bottom bolt, may have to then make some spacers/washers to get it lined up, and a single wire, and get one with a regular v belt pulley, not serpentine.

Moparjim
08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
For example, I would guess something like Jeg's #555-10120 would work, its 100 amp which is pretty awesome and $70. (says it fits 71-86, they literally are that common a fit)

If you can find a parts store where they actually know anything, they might be able to hook you up with a similar stock replacement, 50, 60 or whatever amp even cheaper my guess would be $50 range.

Or, $20 at a junkyard!

LIL EVO
08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Here's more pictures of the truck

http://lilevo.com/pictures/71lc/

It will be for plow duty so a higher amp alternator isn't a bad idea.