07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Any of you guys there to see it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q&feature=related

BigSnailBuick
07-31-2011, 05:49 PM
No biggie..just throw it on the mastercard. LOL

77thor
07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
It had to be embarrassing for the pilot... what was he watching (the crowd)?

GTSLOW
07-31-2011, 06:25 PM
That's the air national guard for ya. Just sayin......

:goof

thezfunk
08-02-2011, 12:23 AM
So, I think we need to pass a law where people have to take a videography course before being allowed to operate a video camera. I am sick of watching youtube videos where you miss the good part because someone is shooting the ground or the camera is out of focus or behind someone's head.

Prince Valiant
08-02-2011, 10:46 AM
It had to be embarrassing for the pilot... what was he watching (the crowd)?My guess would be a malfunction with or pilot error applying the braking system, since each brake is controlled independently. So one brake either didn't work (or work too well, lol) or the pilot didn't apply with equal force and you veer off the runway.

But yeah...hugely embarrassing I'm sure.

michelle
08-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Are you still flying Chris?

pOrk
08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
lols, bet he is doing extra pushups

-stew-
08-02-2011, 03:47 PM
lols, bet he is doing extra pushups

I believe punishment for wrecking a F-16 is having to fly a cargo plane full of plastic dog shit out out of Hong Kong.

Prince Valiant
08-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Are you still flying Chris?haven't flown in a while...putting the flying on hiatus and will finish next fall at a different airport. I've got all the required flight hours/time/solo's...just have to do the check ride.

jimez1
08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
If you watch the video you can see where the first f-16 is in a flare and slows enough with aerodynamic braking to push the nose over and use very lille wheel brakes to stop. The second aircraft is just at touchdown and in flare when passing the same point where the first one had finished his aerodynamic braking. The second aircraft touches down and pushes the nose over almost immediately. He is on the brakes right away at that point to stop. Because of the antilock braking system onthe aircraft you won't see any smoke from the brakes or tires or see any tires blow out. But the brakes are too small to stop this aircraft from approch speed in such a short distance. Hence the reason for the aerodynamic braking. ( holding the nose of the aircraft off the ground to give a larger surface area to slow the aircraft until the nose falls to the ground due to loss of lift). It looks pretty clear that he just landed long and did not have enough distance to stop himself. He knew he was in trouble the moment his maingear hit the runway and tried to save a bad landing. That is what it looked like to me anyway. From the air the plane is straight off the end of the runway. so it is not that one brake failed or failed to apply or the other locked up.