PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy!

Prince Valiant
07-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Well, decided to get a new puppy...

...and as usual, I go for the unique.

So with that, here's the newest Mackenzie! He's only 9 weeks old in the pic...so he's quite big for such a young pup!

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad349/sweetroscoe/puppy011.jpg

He is a Scottish Deerhound. They are a sighthound, similar to Greyhounds, irish Wolfhounds, Borzois, etc. They are among the oldest breeds, and were used to hunt the very large Red Deer of the British isles. Built like a greyhound, they grow a bit larger. Otherwise, very laid back, gentle, couch potatoes they are. Nowadays they excel coursing competitions.

When he grows up, he'll look similar to this:

http://puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/dogimages/scottishdeerhound_pdw.jpg
http://houndscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Scottish-Deerhound-Image-8-Web.jpg

If I can't have the fastest car, I'll have the fastest dog :D

We haven't named him yet. Possibilities:

Bullet
Hobbes
Dobby
Stu (Stuart)
Alan
Poppy
Mopar (well, I wouldn't mind...but the wife would, lol)
Homer
Haggis

...and still open to other names. We haven't met him until today, unlike our other dogs, so it was easy to come to pick a name. This guy, we're still waiting for the personality to shine out before deciding.

FoxStang
07-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Angus maybe, since he's scottish?

Where did you get him from?

pOrk
07-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Awesome choice, very cool dogs and not many of them around

Name him HayGARrrrrrrr

Dr.Buick
07-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Time for a play date. I fenced in my yard.

Holeshot
07-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Still think you should call him Buford LOL

Prince Valiant
07-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Angus maybe, since he's scottish?

Where did you get him from?That was a possibility, but I actually had an airedale named angus (called him gus), so we nixed that name.

He came from Maryland.

Awesome choice, very cool dogs and not many of them around That's very true...not many breeders to choose from in the states, and most are out east. It took quite a bit to get 'em.

Time for a play date. I fenced in my yard.
Let us know! Sundays usually work best for me per usual.

Still think you should call him Buford LOLI think I'm going to save that name for a basset hound or something, lol.

WhatsADSM
07-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Nice! As if u didn't already have a fast little bundle of energy. They are going to tire out Sassy quick!

Gregor
07-30-2011, 10:57 PM
def Hobbes.

Slow Joe
07-31-2011, 10:27 AM
I'd name him Stuart... I just like it...

And you said he's related to the Borzoi? I surely hope not... :rolf We used to have a Borzoi, and as my dad said "they must have bread the brains out of it" the dog just wasn't smart... LOL

lordairgtar
07-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Name him for a fine Scotch. Like Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. Could call him Glen for short.

Prince Valiant
07-31-2011, 12:06 PM
I'd name him Stuart... I just like it...

And you said he's related to the Borzoi? I surely hope not... :rolf We used to have a Borzoi, and as my dad said "they must have bread the brains out of it" the dog just wasn't smart... LOLWell, it looks like Meg's settled on Stuart...stu for short.

They aren't "related" per se. But they are of similar type.

There are two basic types of hounds, scent hounds and sight hounds. Scent hounds are types like bloodhounds, coonhounds, basset hounds...even beagles are considered types of scent hounds. Sight hounds are dogs similar to greyhounds, whippets, wolfhounds, afghans, and yes...borzoi's. But most sight hound type dogs rate low on the trainability scale. You'll never get the precision and eagerness in training that you get from a lab, poodle, or border collie for example from most hounds, scent or sight, but in the sight hound set, Borzoi's are among the lowest in trainability while the deerhound is mid-pack. Only the Afghan rates as low.

-as a side note, there is a "scent-sight" hound...one that combines the two traits, the Rhodesian Ridgeback. And unlike most hounds, Ridgebacks can have an aggressive streak in them.

For this guy, I just want him to be good on a leash, sit, stay, come when called (mostly) and not be destructive of rambunctious. I don't think we'll have a problem with that.

I will start to work him toward coursing training...we'll see how strong the chase drive is in him. Even being all legs and paws, he moves pretty good for being a baby.

Larrygto
07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Since he's Scottish Haggas!

88Nightmare
07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
I would have done Bullet or Dodger for a name

BigSnailBuick
07-31-2011, 05:51 PM
I also vote stuart....he looks like a stuart :D

Prince Valiant
07-31-2011, 09:23 PM
women...always changing what little mind they've got.

His NEW and LAST name is now Lil' Brudder...as in the one legged puppy who wants to be a super bowl winning qb and always makes homestar runner cry. Actually, it works well on him and the other dog names.

His registered name will be King's Ransom Deluxe __________ (tbd)

-stew-
07-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Well, it looks like Meg's settled on Stuart...stu for short.

Thats a terrible name for anything.

Slow Joe
08-01-2011, 08:53 PM
We had afghan hounds then got a borzoi. My opinion is that the borzio was wayyyy harder to train (and less intelligent) :rolf