PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket stereo install PIA

05caddyext
07-27-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a 2005 Ram SLT Quad Cab. Bought a new kenwood excelon deck for it. Have always installed stereos myself, never had an issue done it at least 20 times in various vehicles. Best Buy sold me the wrong wire harness so when I got everything hooked up my gauges went dead. Took the radio back out, put stock in, gauges work just fine. So I got the correct harness from AMS in madison. Got everything hooked up, and now I have no radio reception. I have the correct harness adapter for the antenna, and when I had it hooked up yesterday with the wrong power harness, it worked just fine. Now this time, I have no reception, but the gauges work. Everything else on the radio works also. I have read on a few forums that I should try to connect the power antenna lead from the stereo to the red power wire on the new harness along with the red from the stereo. Is this correct? I don't have a power antenna, and I didn't do this yesterday and it worked just fine. Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it before I fry the radio by hooking up the antenna to a power wire?

05caddyext
07-28-2011, 08:51 PM
So figured out the problem. Not only did Best Buy give me the complete wrong wire harness adapter, they also gave me the wrong antenna adapter. Went to AMS in Madison and they got me the right stuff, for half the price. Best Buy won't return the shit either because they said its used.

Josepy
07-28-2011, 09:07 PM
So figured out the problem. Not only did Best Buy give me the complete wrong wire harness adapter, they also gave me the wrong antenna adapter. Went to AMS in Madison and they got me the right stuff, for half the price. Best Buy won't return the shit either because they said its used.

You ask for a manager. If they gave you the wrong shit how is that your fault. Friggin best buy bastards.

Wagonbacker9
07-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Did you tell them what the application was? I'd fight that all the way.

05caddyext
07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
The antenna adapter was the last one they had, and it was already opened when I bought it. Didn't think I had a choice because it was the "last one." Wasn't even a manual in it. Gonna go back tomorrow and raise a shit storm. $40 worth of stuff that was wrong. Plus my hours of time because I couldn't figure out what was wrong. It actually plugged in, was just totally the wrong harness. When I hooked it all up, it actually made my factory dash gauges not work. All the idiot lights came on, and the check engine light is still on, which wasn't on before this damn radio install. I have the factory deck back in it right now until I have time to put in the correct parts. Im very pissed about this whole thing lol. I spent about 5 hours trying to figure out what was wrong with the harness and the antenna adapter, which were for the wrong vehicle. WTF.

Wagonbacker9
07-28-2011, 09:49 PM
oh, yeah, I'd be looking for store credit on top of a full refund if they want to keep your business at all. Since circuit city died best buy has become way too complacent...