PDA

View Full Version : Full size truck advice?

HP ADDICT
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Looking into buying a full size truck. I am open to all brands but have more closely reviewing the Dodge Ram 1500, Silverado, Ford F150 and Toyota tundra. I do a lot of hunting and will most likely be pulling a lot of toys with it. Most interest would be in the ride quality and cab. I am leaning towards a crew cab.

If you have any advice on why one is better then another or have heard of any good deals on the 2011 models(BCM hook ups etc)let me know! Cars have always been easy for me to pick a favorite but I am not having the same time deciding on a truck!:banana

BR3W CITY
07-26-2011, 11:32 PM
My uncle lives in SoCal and has a Tundra for his toys, and as his wifes daily. She likes driving it and its quit and comfortable. Unloaded the power is good around town, but loaded up things get different. He said that when loaded fully or towing, it doesn't feel as stable as his previous american trucks. Towing from a stop isn't wonderful either. He said its better as a car than a truck, but if its mainly daily then that might not be a bad thing

theavenger333
07-27-2011, 02:01 AM
What are you going to be doing with it? honestly, of those choices, none are bad. The truck market is such a slugfest that usually every maufacturer puts out a very good product. They each just do some things better then the others.

DerangedPony
07-27-2011, 02:19 AM
I would look at the V6 EcoBoost in the F-150. 365 hp with 21 mpg in a 4X4 compared to the ram 310 hp/ 18 mpg, Chevy 302 hp/ 18 mpg, and Toyota's 310 hp/ 20 mpg. The F-150 also seems like it can tow more at 11300 lbs. with the EcoBoost.

CATNHAT
07-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Ford--ftw!

michelle
07-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Ford F-150! I love mine.

Prince Valiant
07-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I would look at the V6 EcoBoost in the F-150. 365 hp with 21 mpg in a 4X4 compared to the ram 310 hp/ 18 mpg, Chevy 302 hp/ 18 mpg, and Toyota's 310 hp/ 20 mpg. The F-150 also seems like it can tow more at 11300 lbs. with the EcoBoost.??? Why are you comparing base engines of other makes to the premium ford engine?

Some people.

As others have said, hard to really go wrong with the choices. It'll depend a lot on what you can find and the prices they're available at.

All can be had with a minimum 10,000 lbs towing...a great resource for towing capacities in various trims: http://onlinetowguide.com/guidelines/towing_capacities.html.

Thing I like about this is it'll show you the actual tow rating for EVERY configuration possible with the various rear gears, cab configurations, 2x vs 4x's, etc. No relying on "Well, the _______ is rated to tow ______!" because invariably you're only ever cited the most optimistic rating regardless of what you're actually considering purchasing.

The short of it is though it's doubtful that anything you're looking to tow will really push "the limits" of what these trucks can handle...and if you're even coming close (say towing 7,500+), then you'd probably want to consider a 3/4 ton truck anyway.

The 09+ Ram's will feature coil spring suspension and are touted for their rides over leaf spring equipped competitors. Is it that much better? You'd have to drive them yourself....all I can say is that heck, I'm even impressed with the ride of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks nowadays compared to even trucks of 10 years ago, much less compared to my 30+ y/o truck, so I don't think you can really go wrong with either of your choices.

Though this doesn't affect you since you're looking into crew cabs, the ONE thing that does bug me about most trucks today is how tedious you have to be to get the truck you want. Want a Toyota with a 5.7? Now you HAVE to get a double cab 4x4 minimum...you can't get a reg cab 2x4, reg 4x4, etc. The cheapest 5.7 equipped truck will come in around 35-36000. Likewise with the ford and ecoboost...they're very particular (minimum, double cab/ 4x2, but higher trim levels), so lowest price is 33+, otherwise you're left with the very nice 5.0 coyote v8 (to get the 6.2 you need to get either the raptor, perhaps a good choice, or at a minimum, the platinum series in which the 6.2 is still a pricey option)...

...but when did this come about? Used to be the trucks had the greatest option/configuration ability by far. At least that's one advantage of the dodge trucks in general...you can get the hemi in the lowest, least expensive line of trucks...so around 22g if you so wanted. If I was to gander a guess, it's probably because trucks will now be included with cars in CAFE standards, so pricing the less efficient but desireable trucks behooves the manufactures somewhat versus the fines they'd encounter per vehicle.

On the engines, it does seem to behoove one to go with the optional engines in the three you've chosen. The dodge 4.7, ford 5.0, are both beaten in mileage by their optional 5.7/3.5 ecoboost counterparts, while the toyota the base v8 gets better mileage on the hwy (19 vs 17) than it's 5.7 sibling.

Of the crews, you'll probably find the Dodge crew cab the largest...and it is big. The trade off is a smaller bed...5' 7" inches, whereas the ford maintains the 6' 6" bed (though you can get a 5'5" for less if you so choose), and the toyota has the smidge smaller 5'5" bed in the full crew cab options.

I don't know when you're looking to purchase, but the ford and toyota of course are both available with excellent 6 speed trans...whereas the dodge still uses a 5 speed. This doesn't seem to be too big a strike against it (see unloaded (http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-quartermile-drags-unloaded.html) and loaded (http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-quartermile-drags-loaded.html) drag times of the various 3/4 ton gas trucks as evidence that's it's not a huge hindrance), but the '12 model rams are supposed to get the a similar 6 speed auto that the cummins equipped rams get, the orion 68rfe.

That's about all I can think to consider on the trucks. Have fun shopping...drive all and give a post on you're impressions.

buttersgt350
07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I have an '07 F150 XLT and have had no problems with it since new. I have heard good things about the new Eco-Boost engine also.

WickedSix
07-27-2011, 09:10 AM
drive them...see what fits you best and decide...for me I can't own a ford...cus im fat..and the seating arrangement..steering wheel and controls just feel ackward for me to use at 6'4" 370#...for whatever reason chevrolet and dodge seats just fit me better....

I'd say the toyota has the nicest (car like ride)
then the ford
then chevy/dodge

as prince said...all depends on what you are going to use it for....

CATNHAT
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
BUY MY FORD!! I want to go back to a SUV (tahoe-yukon-expedition)

88Nightmare
07-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I've always loved the silverado ride quality. A friend of mine bought a new 2010 silverado 1500 crew cab and loves it. I'm pretty sure you could get one of those with the 6.2L that used to be exclusive to the Escalade line

wrath
07-27-2011, 05:07 PM
You need to figure out what you're going to do with it.

fivonut
07-27-2011, 06:05 PM
1500's and 150's!?!?!? I thought you said you wanted a truck!!!

DerangedPony
07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
??? Why are you comparing base engines of other makes to the premium ford engine?

Some people.

Easy there. Point is more about the MPG then anything else. Some People are interested in that and nobody can touch the Ford even with their Premium motors. Second point is that even with the much better MPG, it can still hold it's own while towing.

Prince Valiant
07-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Easy there. Point is more about the MPG then anything else. Some People are interested in that and nobody can touch the Ford even with their Premium motors. Second point is that even with the much better MPG, it can still hold it's own while towing.Easy where? U have a point? dude, shut up.

DerangedPony
07-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I am sorry, but you are pathetic. For the third time, my point is that he should drive a EcoBoost F-150 because it will give him good power while saving a ton of gas. This thread was started asking for the forum's opinions. If he wanted just yours, he would have PM'ed you. I really don't care what you think about my opinion which is what makes it mine. I'm sure you'll have some stupid reply but I am not going to fill this thread with your crap.

BOSS LX
07-27-2011, 10:30 PM
So the best trucks out there now have the most power? Yep I would go with the eco or the 5 liter. I have driven both, and would go with the eco. I know of 3 guys using these trucks to pull 10000 pound trailers, and all rave about them. Not sure where prince got the cab info from, but I have a hard time believing that the mopar is bigger.(remember we are talking half tons)

And with these new trucks, there is NO reason to consider anything larger then a half ton to pull 7500 lbs.

DerangedPony
07-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah, looks like the Ford is a little bigger even with leg room: 41.4'' front/43.5'' rear vs. 41'' front/40.3'' rear in the Dodge.

GsxrBots
07-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Always been a Ford guy, so I'm a little biased, but the new f150 rides like a Cadillac and like mentioned before these new breeds of half ton trucks will tow 10,000# all day, every day. I've heard nightmare stories about the real world gas mileage in the Tundras, and I'm not a fan of the Dodge Ram unless its a Cummins. Chevys ride nice, but don't feel like a truck anymore. The beds are small and the interior feels cramped compared to the Ford and Dodge. My $.02

Posted with my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk.

wrath
07-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Easy there. Point is more about the MPG then anything else. Some People are interested in that and nobody can touch the Ford even with their Premium motors. Second point is that even with the much better MPG, it can still hold it's own while towing.

The Ford 3.5L is an impressive CAR motor. It sucks in a truck, unless you use your truck as a car.

I get the same fuel economy with my half ton Silverado, and probably average better. I know I get better fuel economy towing because a friend of mine has a 3.5L Ford. And he gets the fuel economy of a V10 when towing.

Window sticker to my truck that is rated to tow 10,400lbs (http://gmt900.wrath.org/img/2009_05-29_atholz/windowsticker_L.jpg)

I've had 2500lbs in the bed and gotten 20mpg (measured, the DIC is always way optimistic) at 70mph. Not going to do that with a Ford gasser.

GsxrBots
07-28-2011, 08:24 AM
The Ford 3.5L is an impressive CAR motor. It sucks in a truck, unless you use your truck as a car.

I get the same fuel economy with my half ton Silverado, and probably average better. I know I get better fuel economy towing because a friend of mine has a 3.5L Ford. And he gets the fuel economy of a V10 when towing.

Window sticker to my truck that is rated to tow 10,400lbs (http://gmt900.wrath.org/img/2009_05-29_atholz/windowsticker_L.jpg)

I've had 2500lbs in the bed and gotten 20mpg (measured, the DIC is always way optimistic) at 70mph. Not going to do that with a Ford gasser.

Having 2500 lbs in the bed, is NOT towing.. And lets not talk about V10 fuel economy, it depresses me. :crying

In an overall way, the Eco boost will run circles around your Chevy motor and in all around average way will get better economy doing it. Don't be jealous. :D

90% of half ton truck owners use their truck as a car with a huge trunk. Those people are more concerned with creature comforts and ride quality. Ford F150 has those areas beat. The 5.0L in the F150 is nothing to joke about either, alot snappier than the 5.4L it replaced (plus it sounds good :D)

fivonut
07-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Having 2500 lbs in the bed, is NOT towing.. And lets not talk about V10 fuel economy, it depresses me. :crying

I averaged a little over 12 my last tank. I was thrilled!!!!

GsxrBots
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I averaged a little over 12 my last tank. I was thrilled!!!!

My best tank to date has been 12.8 mpg. I was thrilled as well! Having a lift and bigger tires does not help my cause. :D

fivonut
07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
My best tank to date has been 12.8 mpg. I was thrilled as well! Having a lift and bigger tires does not help my cause. :D

I've heard gears can help over come the any detrimental effect the tires have.

GsxrBots
07-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I've heard gears can help over come the any detrimental effect the tires have.

Yeah, but also cuts into your tow rating :( Plus if I got more than 15 mpg, I wouldn't have to talk the wifey into getting a diesel next :D

CATNHAT
07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
My 2010 f-150 avg's 13mpg all around with the 5.4. Not impressed. When I was doing all hwy driving back and forth to madison every day it went up to 17 mpg. Not sure how they came up with the 20 or 21 thats onthe sticker, but mine is a little short of that.

GsxrBots
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
My 2010 f-150 avg's 13mpg all around with the 5.4. Not impressed. When I was doing all hwy driving back and forth to madison every day it went up to 17 mpg. Not sure how they came up with the 20 or 21 thats onthe sticker, but mine is a little short of that.

Didn't even know you could get the 5.4 anymore.. Huh.. Yeah, that sounds about like what I got with my 2004 F150 with the 5.4L. They get 20 or 21 mpg by driving 55 mph..

CATNHAT
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Didn't even know you could get the 5.4 anymore.. Huh.. Yeah, that sounds about like what I got with my 2004 F150 with the 5.4L. They get 20 or 21 mpg by driving 55 mph..
Yeah I am pretty sure 2010 was the last year before introducing the 5.0. Plenty of power and can tow a lot, but would like a little better gas mileage.

michelle
07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I just filled up my truck today and averaged 14.1 on my last tank of gas. That was 95% towing (not long distances either, short 45 minute trips here and there with either a car on the trailer or multiple tractors) and probably 90% with the AC on.

wrath
07-28-2011, 03:11 PM

In an overall way, the Eco boost will run circles around your Chevy motor and in all around average way will get better economy doing it. Don't be jealous. :D

90% of half ton truck owners use their truck as a car with a huge trunk. Those people are more concerned with creature comforts and ride quality. Ford F150 has those areas beat. The 5.0L in the F150 is nothing to joke about either, alot snappier than the 5.4L it replaced (plus it sounds good :D)

The 5.4L is an embarrassment. Especially the 2 valve one.

J1349 L76 Dyno sheet:
http://gmt900.wrath.org/img/misc/2009_Vortec_60L_L76_Silverado_SAE.pdf

The worst I've gotten towing is 9mpg pulling a 8.5x8x24 cargo trailer, weighing just over 12,400lbs. The truck didn't appreciate it too much, I left it in 4th gear around town and 5th on the expressway.

The only thing an Ecoboost F150 runs circles around is 5.4L F150s.

My 18+2 flatbed with a car on it makes negligible difference in fuel economy on the highway. It's all relative to speed. The truck is easy to get 20mpg out of at 70mph. It's hard to beat 14mpg at 80mph regardless of what is in the truck or behind the truck. Pulling an enclosed trailer at 55mph is good for about 12mpg no matter what the weight.

I'm waiting for a 6.2L with AFM in a pickup, at which point I'll be trading my truck in for one of those.

FourEyedFord
07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
I am sorry, but you are pathetic. For the third time, my point is that he should drive a EcoBoost F-150 because it will give him good power while saving a ton of gas. This thread was started asking for the forum's opinions. If he wanted just yours, he would have PM'ed you. I really don't care what you think about my opinion which is what makes it mine. I'm sure you'll have some stupid reply but I am not going to fill this thread with your crap.

What's pathetic are Valiant's "regurgitated internet search" posts that are just an effort to come off sounding like an expert on EVERY subject....

Anakonda69
07-30-2011, 09:06 AM
only truck worth buying. duramax. enough said.

HP ADDICT
07-30-2011, 08:03 PM
So far the truck that has been the most appealing is the F150 ecoboost crewcab. Unfortunately Fords incentives right now blow compared to every other competing brand out there. I can get a similarly equipped model for about 3-5grand cheaper from toyota, chevy, and dodge!

CATNHAT
07-30-2011, 09:06 PM
So far the truck that has been the most appealing is the F150 ecoboost crewcab. Unfortunately Fords incentives right now blow compared to every other competing brand out there. I can get a similarly equipped model for about 3-5grand cheaper from toyota, chevy, and dodge!

Yeah timing is everything.

Good Luck!

Rocket Power
07-31-2011, 04:38 AM
So far the truck that has been the most appealing is the F150 ecoboost crewcab. Unfortunately Fords incentives right now blow compared to every other competing brand out there. I can get a similarly equipped model for about 3-5grand cheaper from toyota, chevy, and dodge!That's what happens when people want your truck, and not one of the Butt Ugly new Chevys. lol

HP ADDICT
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I ended up buying a 2011 Ford F150 Super Crew with the 3.5 ecoboost and 6.5ft bed 4x4. Mark aka SMOKDU on here set everything up for me and made sure I got a great deal! All the guys at Heiser Ford were great to deal with! Thanks again Mark for all of the help!

CATNHAT
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I ended up buying a 2011 Ford F150 Super Crew with the 3.5 ecoboost and 6.5ft bed 4x4. Mark aka SMOKDU on here set everything up for me and made sure I got a great deal! All the guys at Heiser Ford were great to deal with! Thanks again Mark for all of the help!
This thread sucks without pictures--post em up! NICE!

BOSS LX
08-15-2011, 11:51 PM

Very nice choice! Mark always hooks me up as well.

HP ADDICT
08-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Update: Sorry no pics but its just a truck! I have been getting an average of 21mpg over the 240 miles I put on it. So far I really like it and am looking forward to pulling a trailer with it. Really wierd driving a V6 fullsize truck with this much power, its super quite and smooth under throttle.

michelle
08-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Glad to hear it!