PDA

View Full Version : For those looking for a New career path....

awsomeears
07-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Recently a good friend of mine Kyle ( wheelsofsteels brother and I think is on here to) graduated from MATC in Oak Creek in the HVAC field. Kyle was also fortunate to have me as a friend who got him a Job with us...

Now Kyle and I both got or close to Straight A's but we took the classes 3 years apart, I can honestly say he came out much wiser then myself. I couldn't get over what he was all taught that I was not.

When I went to MATC most of my classes felt " Old school " and I knew it, I was already in the HVAC field for 2.5 yrs doing installs and a few service calls....

So last week I was at a customers house fixing his A/C unit, next door neighbor asked what was wrong so I walked up to him and started shooting the shit. Turns out he is a sheet metal instructor at MATC in Oak Creek.

I told him the same story I'm typing and mentioned " Yea last year we were certified in so and so for our NEW renovated HVAC classes "

I told him yea that makes sense because of myself training kyle on the JOB and being shocked what he knew, now I'm not saying anyone that goes to MATC for the HVAC degree will be a genius :rolf

All I'm saying is that if your looking for a NEW CAREER PATH think about HVAC and MATC, it is Extremely Cheap and what you get out of it is pricless.

73MACH
07-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Is there still alot of jobs in this field currnetly or has it been overloaded in recent years and hard to find a job?

pOrk
07-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I've been considering it, but hell seems everyone I know with a college degree is out of work with no future in sight at the moment and us factory minions are working our tails off.

03Seville
07-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah I've been looking at going back to school but everyone I know who has graduated is making the same or less than me and has debts from school to pay off. (that is if they found a job)

Im with mach on this one.. is their really a large demand for employees in the HVAC field right now?

awsomeears
07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Yes there is..........

From Sales, Service, Tune-ups, Installs, supply house and HVAC in house office personnel.....

But you have to know a thing or tow, you just can't slap down your MATC cert and EPA cert and expect a job. Best bet is to get into MATC do it part time and work Full Time as a rookie at a shop. Pull out the Yellow Pages explain what your trying to achieve and see what happens.

03Seville
07-25-2011, 09:26 AM
See thats where my problem comes in, I cant go to any job where I make less than I do now. Which Im sure a student working/learning would.

Maybe after my fiancee finishes school and starts working this will be something to look into though

Irish
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
See thats where my problem comes in, I cant go to any job where I make less than I do now. Which Im sure a student working/learning would.

Maybe after my fiancee finishes school and starts working this will be something to look into though

This. Same boat.

brotherbenn83
07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Nothing wrong with some good old fashioned blue collar jobs. I went to WCTC for the GM ASEP program, and though I feel the class portion was a waste primarily, the on the job training it got me was very useful. 9 years later I am as certified as a GM tech can be and making more money than I ever have, all for just turning wrenches and occasionally using my brain. I think having a skill/trade is useful...and knowing other people with usable skills is helpful because you can trade labor.

BTW Brad, I called and left you a message on Thursday last week about an A/C inspection/tune-up and you never called me back.

awsomeears
07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
BTW Brad, I called and left you a message on Thursday last week about an A/C inspection/tune-up and you never called me back.

Ahh yes we need to hook up, working till 8pm in the heat makes you forget about things...

Korndogg
07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
I got my HVAC Associates through MATC as well (04-06). It was a decent program then but like you said, a lot of it was old technology at the time. Now since they built that new wing, I think the program should be much better.

I also took my day school for my steamfitter apprenticeship at MATC (some of the same teachers as the Associate program) so I got to see the new wing and it its pretty impresive what they installed there compared to what I was able to work on.

awsomeears
07-25-2011, 11:23 PM
I got my HVAC Associates through MATC as well (04-06). It was a decent program then but like you said, a lot of it was old technology at the time. Now since they built that new wing, I think the program should be much better.

I also took my day school for my steamfitter apprenticeship at MATC (some of the same teachers as the Associate program) so I got to see the new wing and it its pretty impresive what they installed there compared to what I was able to work on.

Yea I think one day I'm just going to walk in there and take a peek....