PDA

View Full Version : LS-1 Camaro trans gone bad

whistlin six
08-20-2004, 08:58 PM
My buddy called me this morning and told me the automatic trans in his
99 Z-28 took a crap. It has no 2nd gear, it just slips and shifts to 3rd.
The thing that gets me is that this is a NON beat on, bone stock car
with 70k miles, and a lot of those are highway miles.
Is this common for these trannies? I could understand it if he drove it
hard, but he doesn't.

GHOSST
08-21-2004, 06:01 AM
Dirty tanny fluid will cause dumb things sometimes, did he try changin it? I had a 93' Mazda MX-6 that did the same thing... but I had no 1st or 2nd, it would just rev from the idle to about 3000 until it caught third. It all started when I lost reverse, so I changed the tranny fluid right away, which was black as oil. It was fine for a couple weeks, then bam! Its started that high rev to third. This was crappy import junk though, so it wasn't a suprise. $2000 tranny rebuild I had to get, which is why I converted to American cars, manual. Thats weird though, cause GM usually makes solid transmissions.

BAD LS1
08-21-2004, 08:18 AM
4L60E's can be good and at the same time can be a pile of aids...

For 2nd gear to just drop out one would think A. Alot of heat was invloved or B. There was some abuse you werent aware of. The 4L60E doesnt usually give it up on stock cars, but Tim (lotsals1) regularly burns through these trannys even after a fresh rebuild.

GHOSST
08-21-2004, 11:35 PM
My mechanic buddy's I talked to said.. "must of been beat to sh1t!" I said no, he said it wasn't.

whistlin six
08-22-2004, 02:40 AM
My mechanic buddy's I talked to said.. "must of been beat to sh1t!" I said no, he said it wasn't.

I've known him since the car was new and believe me on this one:
The car has not been beat on, he's not into that. He cares more about
how well the car handles and stops. Sure, he's gotten on it a few times
but that shouldn't be considered beating on it, it was made for that.
The car has seen three trips down the 1/4 mile, bone stock on street tires
and that is the extent of any "beating" it has had.
My trans lasted 90k miles before it gave up and I beat the snot out of it
including many passes down the 1/4 mile. I was glad when it finally gave
up so I could upgrade it with the good stuff.

SlowStee
08-23-2004, 01:01 AM
sorry to invade on this thread, but if you've read my thread you know i have a bad transmission on my 94 LT1..........the thing is, the car actually drives normal for awhile when you start the car up, however after about a minute or so of driving, it will no longer switch gears, and it just liek revs in Drive... ...why would the transmission work at all???

scattergun
08-26-2004, 04:43 AM
Sounds like the servo **** out,or the band has fried.

lotsals1
08-26-2004, 07:07 PM
they suck balls! 2nd gear only ? thats weird problem --the only thing i can think of is the 2nd gear acumilator --either way its a pain !
if he gets another trans --let me know i need a spare since i burn through 4l60e's like butter--would be nice to have a rebuilt on ready to go
it does sound like a band apply problem --tell him not to drive it untill its fixed
otherwise he will burn up a lot more inside-clutches-

y2kws6
08-27-2004, 03:52 AM
I had mine go out at around 6000 miles in my 2000 TA. I beat on mine a little but noting much like no neutral drops. It just went. One thing you could check first is the fluid level, if you are low just a little it could do that. Otherwise the heat will do it to it too, been there done that a few times with the stall convertor at the track trying to heat up the tires and all I did was heat up the clutch.

Dan