PDA

View Full Version : Lost my job, looking for something new.

BR3W CITY
07-19-2011, 01:03 PM
As of today, I no longer hold my job with the mechanical contractor I've been working for around 4 years.

Summary;
I took an office job with a mechanical contractor I was working with, just after/while graduating college. The job was to be a stepping stone towards a career path (which at that time was undecided). Pay was so-so, benefits were ok and the company itself was pretty good. About a year after starting, I started to put the "Feelers" out for my next step within the company. I had considered project estimation, as well as DDC controls programming and began to look into those careers. My employer took note of my interest and we discussed a transition into job training. More and more time passed, and everything had dead ended. Either the owners of the company (also h.r. for the company) forgot about the meeting, or it wasn't priority etc.
Now in addition to my regular duties, they found out I was able to do a lot with computers; I set up all of the new hardware and most software, and did minor networking and troubleshooting. None of this truly part of my job, but more and more it grew. The more I saw coming downhill, the more I leaned on my boss and the owners for my next step. I had proven myself worthy of responsibility clearly, but not YET for that next job.
Fast forward to the past few months. The economy had improved from our end, volume picked up, and things were clicking along. Again I pressed for my opportunity, and again I was told controls was the direction to look, this time I was told to discuss with that project manager and get his blessing (which I did). A few more weeks go by of me asking the status, only to find out that the company had hired someone instead.
A bit downtrodden, I approached them again; this time to be told that the new hire had experience and would be a good person for me to work under. I was alright with this, since it meant I was moving towards my goal.
Again, fast forward to Friday. The owners decided that the new hire is able to handle the volume, and they no longer feel the need to train me....BUT feel I did a great job in my current role (which they new I started to dis-like). When all was said and done, we both agreed to Eliminate my current position from the company. I'm on good terms with the owners and my co workers, and hopefully this will be good for both of us. They respected that they cannot provide the opportunity for advancement I was looking for (And was lured by), and we decided to part ways cleanly.

So, if anyone knows of open positions or is looking for an employee, I am available.
I am a college graduate and have been employed consistently since I was 15. I have 3+ years of management level experience, I'm solid in most computer hardware and software troubleshooting, as well as some networking. My degree is in design and graphics; my management experience is running a team of 20+ technicians for a commercial service department. I have handled contracts, proposals, sales, and more. I have a clean work history, and positive recommendation from prior employers. No criminal record.

Sorry for the novel guys, and thanks for looking

Please post or pm if you know anything, I can provide contact info and form a resume. I also have some graphic portfolio (a few years old) I can show if its needed.

I would be willing to look at any industry, but come mostly from the automotive and mechanical industries (I AM NOT A MECHANIC). Not looking for an "entry level" job, but I will consider anything put in front of me. Thanks!

pOrk
07-19-2011, 01:38 PM
If you don't run across a real job or need something to hold you over and you know how to weld I can get you into a decent paying good benefits job in West Bend, but when I say decent paying I mean like 15-17 to start.

BR3W CITY
07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
i can weld mig pretty well, done stuff from sheetmetal to tube and plate. Never learned to tig or stick weld. I'm NOT a professional welder however. That offer is appreciated p0rk! The money isn't terrible starting, and I did consider going into a "hands on" job in lieu of office work.
I'm going to start looking, but I might have to take you up on that (i also want to get out of milwaukee!)

pOrk
07-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Great let me know and if you need any more details shoot me a pm. I know we need 2nd and 3rd shift real bad right now, and have lots of positions opening up in the next year, lots of new equipment is on its way