PDA

View Full Version : Found and Confirmed more goodies . . .

SMS 1
08-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Man it's like opening christmas presents everytime I take more bolts out of this engine . . .

http://www.aurigenmedia.com/misc/tgears.jpg

I just hope all of this stuff is still salvageable :rolleyes:

Now I can tell all the ricers that it's supercharged :goof then again many/most of them will probably already think that when they hear noise like these things :tomato

Cryptic
08-19-2004, 11:08 PM
exlpain to me what is so good here?

my guess is there is not a chain?

animal
08-19-2004, 11:11 PM
W00h00 the noisy gear drive! :)

I know what that is :D

We always heckle my buddy though and call it his fake supercharger .

Prince Valiant
08-19-2004, 11:21 PM
exlpain to me what is so good here?? Gears are much better reliability wise versus a chain...can go to much higher rpms without issue. Another benifit is that with the gears, your ignition timing remains much much more stable at higher rpms as you don't have the chain strectching and rebounding causing your timing to be a little eradict.

Not as good as a crank fired ignintion, but for the price it's tough to beat.

And most gear driven cams have a "whine" not unlike a supercharger...although they do make silent versions as well.

SMS 1
08-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Especially for the price of this one :thumbsup paid $600 for the entire car and keep finding all sorts of stuff from brand new headlamps+bezels to this. Just keeps gettin better :-P

BTW Animal, I'm having a hard time remembering just HOW loud these are? Think I'll need earpulgs?! :goof

Cryptic
08-20-2004, 02:08 AM
so i was right.... we're were gonna do the same thing to our 1000cc snowmobile.

animal
08-20-2004, 09:35 AM
BTW Animal, I'm having a hard time remembering just HOW loud these are? Think I'll need earpulgs?! :goof

haha, naw. They're probably not even as noisy as my eaton at WOT. You'll really hear them at anything below 2k rpms but once the secondaries open or you're above that rpm you'll hear all engine... at least that's how my friend's 454 is with headers and 3" exhaust.

GTSLOW
08-20-2004, 11:32 AM
I dunno my friends got one on his 350, and its loud as HELL! He's got really cheap mufflers on right now and it even drowns out the exhaust at low rpms!

SMS 1
08-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Ya low RPM's are the worst (or best depending on how you look at it :goof ). My cousin had a set of these in his '64 Chevelle and they were loud as hell but he also had really quiet mufflers and no hood! But as soon as you got on it you couldn't hear'em. I think that would scare me into pulling over if you could hear them that well @3000+RPM :stare

Just can't wait to see what kind of rippin I'll take for them next year though :rolleyes:

Bad-TSi
08-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I've never been a fan of gear drives. Some shops say that they send excess harmonic vibrations through the crankshaft thus shortening bearing life. Which to me makes sence.

SMS 1
08-22-2004, 12:30 AM
I've never been a fan of gear drives. Some shops say that they send excess harmonic vibrations through the crankshaft thus shortening bearing life. Which to me makes sence.
It does transmit more harmonics to the crank which makes a good damper a must. At the same time none of my engines will probably ever be run for more than two seasons without a teardown and re-fresh so I don't really care.