PDA

View Full Version : Truck wont start... clicks

BoosTT
07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm wondering the best way to determine the problem. I drove my truck to work just fine. When I went to leave, it would not start. It would click when you turn the key. A loud click from under the hood.

Should I remove the s-belt and check for a stuck pully or pull the starter? I tried to jump start it and the battery gauge is about where it should be.

Its an old 97 ranger 4.0L.

fivonut
07-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Battery could have drained enough to energize the solenoid but not power the starter. If the battery checks out the Starter could have died. I doubt it's a stuck pulley.

BoosTT
07-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I should clarify that I tried to jump start it in addition to checking the battery. It shouldn't be a battery issue.

I also think its the starter, but that is a quick estimate.
Thanks

Reverend Cooper
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
put a starter in it

Russ Jerome
07-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Verify voltage, both ground AND power AT starter.
If the same as battery voltage but drops you can use jumper cable from battery to starter to verify cables are working.
We are "assuming" starter, beat the piss out of it while someone cycles key, if it starts your 98.7% sure starter :)

Its fun watching adults bolt in $130 starters for a simple bad $12 cable!

BoosTT
07-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Update... I have limited resources where I towed the truck to (via tow strap). I pulled the starter out, because i didn't have a multimeter or jumper cables or someone else to turn the key at this area. I took the starter to autozone and it tested ok.

With the starter/selonoid removed completely: when I attempt to start it, the loud click from under the hood still occurs. Is this a sign of a bad relay? Its a loud click... I would think too loud for a relay.

brotherbenn83
07-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Put a wrench on your crank bolt and make sure the motor turns over. I would have hooked up a jump box to the stater while you had it out and jumped power to the S terminal to see if the thing works.

SSLEVO
07-13-2011, 07:07 PM
The clicking is almost always the starter solenoid, there is enough juice to make it move but not enough to "latch" it on. Since the starter checks out ok i would make sure the motor turns over like said above. You may also need to shim the starter to get the right spacing between the starter gear and flywheel teeth. The starter gear may not be meshing with the flywheel gear. Maybe the engine stopped in exactly the wrong place, lol.

BoosTT
07-13-2011, 09:36 PM
I put the old starter back in today. It cranked and started once. Would only click after the one start.

I couldn't fit a jumper cable in there. Bypassing the fender mounted selonoid is the same as turning the key.

The Shaolin
07-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Definitely the starter. Even if it tests good, it does not mean it's a good starter. The brushes are worn and only making some contact.

If it clicks and wont' start, rap the starter with a mallet or broom handle. I bet it cranks right over.

lilws6
07-14-2011, 11:36 AM
your limited resource of auto zone was probably incorrect. ive had them tell our customers their alternator is fine and they came over here for a second opinion and the alternator was dead

BoosTT
07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree. I ordered a new starter this morning.

I should have just had the car towed to my own garage, where I could have tested it correctly to begin with.

Thanks for the help everyone!

GHOSST
07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
x a billion for the starter, something with the starter, anything with the starter! Our 86 was going the exact same thing, ticking its little heart out, turned out to be the ground wire, ON THE STARTER, lol.