PDA

View Full Version : New Competition For SRT4 & Imports Alike??

GHOSST
08-19-2004, 09:25 AM
I know many probably know of this, but some might not. Its Chevy's answer to the SRT4 and imports all together, The "Cobalt SS", the 2.0 litre supercharged pocket rocket, but, as usual, there are several production models for your everyday joe schmoe, LS, LT, and base models. I even heard rumors that Dodge is going to stop production on the SRT4's altogether... Enjoy. :rockwoot:

"a 2.0-liter supercharged engine is available only in the SS Supercharged tuner version of the Cobalt, a car aimed directly at American youth who have already modified a Japanese front-drive car or two and are looking for a low-priced domestic car to pile parts and accessories on and take to the races." ~Jim McCraw

:thumbsup, this guy is cool :rockwoot:

http://www.nctd.com/sneakpreview.cfm?ReviewID=49

animal
08-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Oh great!

I can't wait to see how all the highway 100 kiddies drive these things around... since they already find corollas and cavaliers to be racecars.

Looks like I'll be out there even less now!

GHOSST
08-19-2004, 09:41 AM
:thumbsup, lol, hey, just more sportcompact for you to beat on:rockwoot: These kids got to have something to start out with before they go muscle right?? :rock

BAD LS1
08-19-2004, 09:46 AM
We dont know how fast they are gonna be yet...

I have serious doubts they are gonna run high 13s out of the box, maybe mid high 14s??

animal
08-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Yeah but they drive crazy nuts now. I'm afraid to be out there. And now that they'll have cars that actually might break the 15 second barrier they'll find themselves to be in the indy 500 at all times. It'll be really scary for normal drivers who just like to "cruise".

I'm seriously considering staying off hwy 100 for good.

BAD LS1
08-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah... your right... im sure its gonna be one after the other flyin by at a buck :rolf

Its gonna look like the tour da france out there only with compact cars and they are all tryin to be like lance armstrong :rolf

But they will not be as cool as him cause they aint got one metallic sphere that cleans magnets off the fridge everytime they walk by :rockwoot:

Crawlin
08-19-2004, 10:09 AM
when one comes into the dealership, i'll give a Prince Valiant like ride description for you guys :)

JC70SS
08-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Your new project car Tom??

JohnnyT
08-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Your new project car Tom??

No, based on Tom's other post I am guessing his new project is going to be an LC2 turbo Buick powered beast... Just a guess though.... :thumbsup

JC70SS
08-19-2004, 01:44 PM
hmmm....Just couldn't picture him in a GN?

JohnnyT
08-19-2004, 01:47 PM
hmmm....Just couldn't picture him in a GN?

Might not actually be a GN... Never know with that boy.

BAD LS1
08-19-2004, 02:48 PM
A turbo TA would be a possibility sans the indy 500 decals :shades

JC70SS
08-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Tom if found a 89 TTA with 440 miles on it yesterday and it is only $40K :rolf

BAD LS1
08-19-2004, 03:13 PM
I love those cars!! Im looking for one with low miles, but not that low!! Iwant a nice show car/ occasional drag racer. These cars run mid 13s stock so thats starting right where the LS1 starts at least.

BAD LS1
08-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Check this one out!! only 15 miles!!! another 40K special!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487317161&category=6427

JohnnyT
08-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Here ya go Tommy, right in your back yard too... TTA for sale (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=168655191&dealer_id=&car_year=1989&make=PONT&distance=75&max_price=&model=TRANSAM&end_year=1989&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=53150&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1989&color=&cardist=31)

JC70SS
08-19-2004, 03:38 PM
The only thing I don't like about them is that they are all Auto trans :yawn:

Cryptic
08-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Check this one out!! only 15 miles!!! another 40K special!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487317161&category=6427

what in the sam hell is the purpose of buying a car if you just want to look at it. it never left the driveway

Al
08-19-2004, 06:59 PM
I think the deal with the cobalt is that it is a faster-than-normal fwd car. Some would rather see more driving domestics than imports.

turbogarrett
08-19-2004, 07:16 PM
that cobalt looks similiar to an acura rsx to me. is gm afraid of turbos?
on the turbo ta's- why not build your own? it can't be that difficult of a swap, all the money you save could be put towards a stage 2 4.1 shortblock or the little led lights in front like knightrider used to roll with...

PB86MCSS
08-20-2004, 12:51 AM
I saw a brochure for the Cobalts a few months ago or so a friend of mine had, for a compact car I think they are kinda neat. Replaces the Cavalier which is being put out to pasture. I'm not a compact car guy but its nice to see GM finally getting its act together and representing for those types of cars against the Honda boys. Now that I think of it, the affordable compact cars that are the best for performance might be the SRT4 and Cobalt SS? Interesting...

Would be even better if they spend the R&D on making way for another RWD V-8 car though. :rolleyes:

I don't know if anyone has put a 5 or 6 speed behind a Turbo Buick motor. The way the engine spools/power band or whatnot has made most people feel it is a pretty bad idea, if memory serves :).

lol, hey, just more sportcompact for you to beat on These kids got to have something to start out with before they go muscle right??

For a kid to buy a new car seems pretty dumb, IMO. In high school or even college, money is better spent/saved on other things....to start, learn on and modify it just makes sense to buy an older V-8 or some Turbo V-6 ;) cars.

I think GM has had some success with superchargers and nothing for quite a while turbo-ed, so maybe they don't wanna do another turbo car soon...Chevy hasn't had a Turbo powered car in almost 25 years ;).

GHOSST
08-20-2004, 09:51 AM
For a kid to buy a new car seems pretty dumb, IMO. In high school or even college, money is better spent/saved on other things....to start, learn on and modify it just makes sense to buy an older V-8 or some Turbo V-6 ;) cars.

True, but anybody that knows the scene, knows that the import/sportcompact craze is at its highest. Look how popular the SRT-4 is. More and more people (younger I see) want to try the sportcompact cars, with money not being an issue. But, when many see how easy it is to gain speed out of V8's or Turbo V6's, then they realise, which is what I was getting at. Seriously though, these kids will defend their interest to the max... even if they keep losin... The most explanation I hear is, that its just something different to not have a musclecar:thumbsup

srt4eh
08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
the cobalt is a nice car but there is no way it'll be as fast as the srt-4. as for dodge stopping production on it....that is true. That is because 2005 is the last year for the Neon...they will be building a different car in 2006. therefore - they can't make the srt-4. they most likely will come out with a new srt-4....but different in appearance than the current.

BAD LS1
08-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Seems as though its common for the big 3 to keep a platform around for about 10 yrs or so before a major redesign.

The neon has been around since 94' and is finally getting replaced, the current cavalier chassis has been around since 95 and finally getting the axe etc...

Same with trucks really...

silverado-88 to 98, well techincally 99 if you include the1500 classic.

Ram- 94'-02 close enough to 10 years.

PB86MCSS
08-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Hah! Having a *muscle car* is less common than an import or other *sport compact*. The whole being different thing got played out a couple years ago or so...it is cool to be different I agree, but ricers are a dime a dozen....look the same, act the same, dress the same, cars are the same, attitudes....blah. This is a generalization but holds up most times.

Alot of them don't even do any work themselves from what I see/hear as well. Hey if you have the money to waste, more power to ya. :tomato

BAD LS1
08-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Alot of them don't even do any work themselves from what I see/hear as well. Hey if you have the money to waste, more power to ya. :tomato

Amen!

Thank god for natural mechanical skill :rockwoot:

GHOSST
08-21-2004, 06:47 AM
man, when I called this craze a "fad", one of my friends who loves imports nearly bit my friggin head off, becuase fads are defined as something that comes and goes. This whole thing is just evolution in a sense. Back when muscle was at its peak, what did they do then? They streetraced, dragraced, whatever. I sure everyones dad has a few stories about runnin bigblocks, runnin from the cops, and runnin each other after highschool or what not. Now that whole lifestyle has been completely revived to its peak with the import/sportcompact craze, that came to be only a couple years back. Now your combining, people who race muscle vs. muscle, and the new import vs. import, to a all out war between the two, not to mention the oh so popular brand wars. When you say streetrace to people, all they think of are imports, even though american muscle is the originator of the street race. Yes very annoying, yes very ugly, yes very stupid (about 80% of the kids) but there going to be here for awhile. Their like a cold, not to big of a deal, but still no common cure for it.....yet:thumbsup

Bad-TSi
08-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm gonna go with what my freind Brad said about this car. His 91 Oldsmobile quad 4 HO makes 190hp and then 13 years later they build a 4 with a supercharger and make 210. :wtf

Syclone0044
08-22-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm gonna go with what my freind Brad said about this car. His 91 Oldsmobile quad 4 HO makes 190hp and then 13 years later they build a 4 with a supercharger and make 210. :wtf Amen, brotha! ;)

SMS 1
08-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Tom are you thinking of coming over to the dark side with a 3rd gen :stare?

I don't know how I feel about the idea of GM going after the sport compact scene. Although I guess there is definately a good market share they are missing out on and it's about time. Guess we'll see what it does when they start clogging the HWY to hell and gone.