PDA

View Full Version : windows

88Nightmare
07-05-2011, 10:13 PM
So my mom is wanting to redo the windows in her house. There is a total of 8 windows to be done. She had a big bay window installed in her living room by Pella back in 2003. Beautiful wood window with the blinds between the glass, crank-out casement windows. She also had her big kitchen window done in the same fashion. Now she wants to get the rest of the 8 windows in her house done the same way... Pella wood windows, all of them traditional double hung, blinds between the glass, all nicely finished with window sills. Pella is going to do a complete tear out down to the bare stud, reinsulate everything, all new exterior trim, and all nicely trimmed up and finished on the inside. 6 of the windows will remain double hungs, the other two will be turned into casement windows. For the whole job, Pella (Verhalen Window Corporation in Brookfield) quoted my mom just over $14,000 for the job. At first we almost shit our pants, but then after talking with a friend, he is having Feldco come in to his house and do 9 windows and his big glass sliding patio door, windows will be a complete tear out like ours, but he is doing vinyl windows, and he is paying $12,000, so then judging off of that, my mom getting nice wood windows seemed like a decent deal. Opinions? Is it high? Does any other company sell Pella windows in the area so we can call them for a second estimate?

awsomeears
07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
So my mom is wanting to redo the windows in her house. There is a total of 8 windows to be done. She had a big bay window installed in her living room by Pella back in 2003. Beautiful wood window with the blinds between the glass, crank-out casement windows. She also had her big kitchen window done in the same fashion. Now she wants to get the rest of the 8 windows in her house done the same way... Pella wood windows, all of them traditional double hung, blinds between the glass, all nicely finished with window sills. Pella is going to do a complete tear out down to the bare stud, reinsulate everything, all new exterior trim, and all nicely trimmed up and finished on the inside. 6 of the windows will remain double hungs, the other two will be turned into casement windows. For the whole job, Pella (Verhalen Window Corporation in Brookfield) quoted my mom just over $14,000 for the job. At first we almost shit our pants, but then after talking with a friend, he is having Feldco come in to his house and do 9 windows and his big glass sliding patio door, windows will be a complete tear out like ours, but he is doing vinyl windows, and he is paying $12,000, so then judging off of that, my mom getting nice wood windows seemed like a decent deal. Opinions? Is it high? Does any other company sell Pella windows in the area so we can call them for a second estimate?

My cousin and his father have been installing Pella for many years, last year they finished a HUGE and I mean HUGE window/walk out double door for my dad. The quality is TOP NOTCH as well the warranty...

I'll PM you his # as he is local for quotes...

88Nightmare
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Definitely interested

05caddyext
07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Doesn't sound to high to me. How much were just the windows alone? Did they break down the price of the windows and labor or just give you a total quote. Also, why double hung? Go with crank-outs, when selling a home crank-outs are much more popular than double hung. And what is the outside of the house made of? Windows can be very easy to install depending on what materials are on the outside of the house? The biggest/hardest problem is actually getting the exact measurmens of the windows right.

88Nightmare
07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I'd have to re-read the quote. I am sure they quoted materials and labor for each. The crank outs are quite a bit more per window. Outside of the house is aluminum siding. I think to get the Pella warranty, they have to install it... not entirely sure.

pOrk
07-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Sounds steep for just windows, especially only 8. That's like 1800 / window, lol.

88Nightmare
07-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah but thats 1800 per window installed. I've never installed windows before so I wasn't sure if I wanted to tackle it myself

CATNHAT
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Lot of questions on the type of window-Low-E, argon, GIA, aluminum clad or vinyl clad, wood interior prefinished or do you have to finish? Pella is good, we installed A LOT and we had a fair share of problems with them.

The one thing I will ABSOLUTELY do on my next window job is make the window manufacturer provide me a letter stating "THESE PELLA WINDOWS ARE INSTALLED PER MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS". And I will not pay until I recieve that letter.

Why you ask--if and when you have a problem and the field inspector investigates--his first claim will be that the windows are NOT installed per Mfgs specs and they (Pella) are not responsible for any repairs.

I saw pella do this, weathershield, phillips, norco, and Eagle. I have seen to many problems with windows and the result is bad news for the homeowner. Both in window quality and with installation.

Good Luck.