PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnea

fivonut
07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I had a sleep study a last weekend. Yesterday I get a call from the home care folks saying I need to come in and get a CPAP ASAP. I did a sleep study 5 or 6 years ago and my score was less than 10 events per hour. My score from the last test was 122 events per hour.

Those who have dealt with it for some time, is it normal to see that score fluctuate? Do you ever get fluke low scores? I remember the felling like I got a good night sleep after the first test, which was out of the norm even back then.

Yes, I will be bringing these questions to my respiratory doc as well. I'm just curious what the average person sees.

WickedSix
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
depends on what you have and what brings it on... I have hypoapnea which isn't a full closing but instead a narrowing... I use a cpap and its night and day when I'm sleeping with the machine and without.... scores will flutuate with age, weight, sleep position, stress, etc etc

its not fun getting the results seeing how many times u wake up in a night...how many times u stop breathing...and how low ur blood oxygen gets

fivonut
07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I haven't had my consult yet. They just said get a CPAP ASAP!!

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

Holeshot
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
The wife is a Respiratory Therapist and she said your O2 saturation is what you should be looking at. According to your post and her doing the math on a 6 hour sleep study your having 40 seconds worth of either not breathing or abnormal breathing events per hour. You need to see how your are oxygenating during these events. Not knowing your physical conditions like weight which is a big factor in apnea ..... she is only giving guidelines. You need to uses that mask properly as it keeps the airway open via pressure. You breath via negative pressure and the CPAP machine sets exhalation pressure so you always keeps a little air in the lungs , airway. You should start waking up feeling refreshed after you get used to the machine. Don't screw around with this. !

Rocket Power
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
On mine they woke me up after two hours to put me on the machine. My blood ox was down 60's. Get the machine, don't end up like Reggie White.

fivonut
07-01-2011, 11:12 PM
I already have the machine. Plan to use it tonight. I was just taken off guard by the score. Apparently my problem was a lot worse than even I thought.

lordairgtar
07-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I had this as well. You will feel better in the mornings when you wake up after a week or so. Depends how you take to it. Some machines can be adjusted or self adjust. Just check the tube every night for spiders or other insects. I swallowed a spider and that ended it for me.

Anakonda69
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM
i will hopefully be getting a new machine in the next few weeks here. i have had it for 8 years now. mine is a milder case as my blood oxygen level only went as low as 87. i have been told thats not very low. my sleep apnea is much less active when on my side. when i sleep on my back it's rough. so i can see how things could fluctuate.