PDA

View Full Version : License Plate - Refund?

michelle
06-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Since we traded in two vehicles that I paid license plate renewal on in May, but purchased a truck so I will be getting truck plates, I was curious about a refund on those plates from my car and van.

According to the DMV:

A refund of fees paid for annual, quarterly or consecutive monthly registration is allowed if requested before the beginning of the new registration period. For biennial registration (motorcycles and 12,000 lb. farm plates), the second year of registration may be refunded before the beginning of the second year.

To request a refund, send the original certificate of registration, the year sticker and a statement explaining the reason for a refund to:

Research & Information
P.O. Box 8070
Madison, WI 53708-8070

Anyone attempt this? I'm more curious if it actually happens. My curiosity is worth the stamp, but I figured I would check if anybody else has tried.

Yooformula
06-24-2011, 11:36 AM
curious but why cant you just transfer a set of the other plates to the truck?

-stew-
06-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Both prolly had car plates would be my guess.

Yooformula
06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
other states I have lived in dont require a different plate for a truck/suv vs a car. why does this state require a different plate?

BoosTT
06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Truck plates are always renewed in Dec? Is that correct? I'm not sure or aware of any other differences.

WickedSix
06-24-2011, 12:18 PM
depends on the truck plate as to when it renews..if you are above a class C I believe it is in december but A, B and C class truck plates are annual and renew whenever you originated the registration.

yes you will get a prorated refund...or it worked when I did it yrs ago anyhow

88Nightmare
06-24-2011, 01:04 PM
other states I have lived in dont require a different plate for a truck/suv vs a car. why does this state require a different plate?

Because it's wisconsin? I really have no better answer than that. I guess they assume since someone is buying a truck, they will automatically be hauling with it, therefore, they want to increase their revenue by issuing you truck plates in accordance with the GVW of your truck.

I don't think its required a truck gets truck plates, however I'm sure russ darrow filled out her plate paperwork and automatically put her down for truck plates.

michelle
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah they signed me up for truck plates. A neighbor made a comment saying I could put my auto plates on it. Oh well. Same yearly registration amount it looks like?

WickedSix
06-24-2011, 04:01 PM
depends on class of truck. Class A plates are the same cost as a car $75. Class B plates (which based on GVW the f150 should technically have) are a little more $84

michelle
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Just got my title back today and it shows "Period A" on the registration.

-stew-
06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Idk why, but you have to have truck plates on a truck. My dad leased a pick up (durango) once, lease company gave him car plates. He got pulled over for it once and utterly pissed off the trooper when my dad told him to call the leasing company and issue the ticket to them because they owned the truck and the plate. Lease company got him new plates and judge threw out the ticket.

pOrk
06-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Stew, that cop was in the wrong. Off the DMV's website "For autos, including vans and sport utility vehicles, when more than 50% of the internal capacity is dedicated to seating."

lilws6
06-27-2011, 10:35 AM
if it was a pickup it wasn't a durango it was a dakota

-stew-
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
if it was a pickup it wasn't a durango it was a dakota

Yeah it was a Dakota. Absolutely no clue why I said Durango...