PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about getting land surveyed?

HP ADDICT
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Looking to get about 10 acres I own up north surveyed and marked out. Does anyone know anybody or have any experience with having this done?

wrath
06-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Mortgage survey or boundary survey (find or put stakes in the ground)? A boundary survey will find every corner and also mark every noteworthy structure or feature, as well as list witnesses. Meaning it will show where everything in the property is and also put down other permanent or semi-permanent features (like "stake is asdf feet from 11" white pine and 14" pin oak").

Hit up the township that it's in first. Sometimes there are already nearby surveyed properties so you can use the same surveyor so then it's a lot cheaper because they already have records on file and know where to find known good stakes.

It will get expensive if nothing else is stake surveyed by them nearby, your property has encumberances, or your property does not close (you can figure it out by following the legal description and seeing if the end and start points are the same). Oh, and it will be expensive if they have to navigate heavy woods or swamp or or or or.

It's all about time spent researching and time spent at the site. Usually on a larger parcel you'll have one expensive surveyor doing the "easy work" and mapping and one cheap surveyor wandering in the bush with a Trimble putting stakes in the ground. It might be as cheap as $800 to have it done but I would not be surprised if it was in the $3k or more range.

It was not cheap to have my 22 acres done and there were existing stakes by the same engineering firm on two corners. Mine was a lot of work because they had to put in a clear line of site (lot of machete time) and I have two parcels, a 20 acre piece that is 650'x1320' and an irregular L-shaped piece that is 2 acres. A couple stakes are in the pond and the two parcels are cut by a creek.