PDA

View Full Version : Muffler type questions

LEWETHETIGER73
06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
So What are the basic differences between single in dual out, dual in dual out, and true dual mufflers on there own pipe? Is there a performance difference between either?

88Nightmare
06-11-2011, 11:12 PM
a single in/dual out is something common on cars/trucks that have a dual exhaust exit, however both manifolds combine at the y-pipe and have one single exhaust pipe heading back towards the muffler. I suppose its probably cheaper to manufacture a car that way. Dual in/dual out mufflers are where instead of exhaust banks combining at a y pipe, they combine in the muffler, and then continue with a dual exit to have a dual exhaust look exiting the back of the vehicle. I would guess an exhaust system of proper proportions (right diameter pipe based on needs) with a dedicated muffler for each engine bank would have the best flow results, especially with an x or h pipe. I know certain setups benefit more from an H pipe than an X pipe. I honestly couldnt tell you why though. I'm sure someone else on here could

LEWETHETIGER73
06-12-2011, 08:36 PM
is there a performance difference though?

88Nightmare
06-12-2011, 08:44 PM
as I said before, I would assume exhaust banks with their own independent mufflers would be less restrictive

GTSLOW
06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
The generic answer would be the true dual setup would have the most power. However on a mostly stock vehicle that came with single that is probably what it will make the best (usable) power with.

LEWETHETIGER73
06-12-2011, 09:22 PM
right now it does have a single in single out and it is just for my truck so I should probably just go with a stock replacement. The thing does have over 200,000 miles on it. Just figure if I replace I might as well try to get it a little better

Korndogg
06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
I had a single in dual out magnaflow on my silverado and I loved it. I miss it alot :<