PDA

View Full Version : A/C recharge

03CVLX
06-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Anyone here have the tools and would be willing to help me check and see if my A/C needs to be recharged in my Crown Vic? Shoot me a PM if you can help.

Thanks,

Tom

Dr.Buick
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
i can if you want to drive to slinger

FoxStang
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Bought a little can of the stuff last year, AC went from struggling in the heat to blowing cold as can be, best $25 I spent. Just make sure you don't have a leak.

CATNHAT
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I just did my wifes car last week. Took it to Jared Wilson in Menomonee falls. 262-894-3519 and he pressure tested, found a leak in the condenser, we found a new condenser in Menomonee falls at the radiator exchange for 1/2 price of autozone, helped install the condenser, refilled freon, found leaky valve stem and replaced it! And he gave me a brand new black magic wheel polishing
kit! Ice cold air now--just in time!

Normal charge is $50.

He does it out of his garage. Nice guy. Tell him Scott with the Odyssey referred you, if you use him.

BoosTT
06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Just dump a can of freion in.

Reverend Cooper
06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
yeah cuz dumping a can of refrigerant in it will fix it lol

03CVLX
06-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah, don't wanna throw random parts at it. But want to rule out the easiest thing before I have to pull the dash out of it and replace the Blend door actuator motor for the Auto Climate control.

Reverend Cooper
06-07-2011, 09:56 PM
should be able to turn it on and see if the pipe are getting cold and sweaty under hood,if so its maybe the blend door issue,but if its not even turning the compressor on its llow on refrig. or has a electrical issue affecting the comp. clutch

03CVLX
06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
should be able to turn it on and see if the pipe are getting cold and sweaty under hood,if so its maybe the blend door issue,but if its not even turning the compressor on its llow on refrig. or has a electrical issue affecting the comp. clutch

Good tip, Thanks Mike. I will try that in the morning.

-stew-
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
yeah cuz dumping a can of refrigerant in it will fix it lol

It's called freon, dude!

Rocket Power
06-08-2011, 12:46 AM
No its R-134a, freon was R-12:goof

03CVLX
06-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok, update...

I don't think its the blend door...THANK GOD!!

I noticed that the compresser clicks on spins for about 2-3 seconds and shuts off. it stays off for about 7 seconds, and then starts spinning again for 2-3 seconds. It just constantly does this no matter if I have the auto climate set on A/C, Max A/C or Automatic. I also currently had it set on its coldest setting which is supposed to overide the Auto setting and just dump ice cold Air..

Anybody have any ideas?? Im starting with checking the refrigerant levels.Have a funny feeling it will be low.

BoosTT
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
You are low. Buy a can for $25 and dump it in. Buy one with a leak sealer.

Compressor shuts off when its low, aka clicks.

Reverend Cooper
06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
yeah just dump it in with sealer that will dixer right up,untill it clogs the filter at the compressor and costs more to fix.
its low thats why it is cycling so quick the pressure is to low,the a/c pressure switch then shuts off the compressor. take it in to a shop and have then put in dye and some refrig. they willl either find it or let you drive for a few weeks then bring it back for a recheck. once you know what the leak is let me know.

03CVLX
06-08-2011, 08:31 PM
yeah just dump it in with sealer that will dixer right up,untill it clogs the filter at the compressor and costs more to fix.
its low thats why it is cycling so quick the pressure is to low,the a/c pressure switch then shuts off the compressor. take it in to a shop and have then put in dye and some refrig. they willl either find it or let you drive for a few weeks then bring it back for a recheck. once you know what the leak is let me know.

Will do sir.. Thanks. I gotta fix this thing right the first time, I don't play games with A/C and won't be wanting to spend more.

-stew-
06-08-2011, 08:44 PM
You are low. Buy a can for $25 and dump it in. Buy one with a leak sealer.

Compressor shuts off when its low, aka clicks.
He's gonna have to shit out a refrigerant handling license first. Or drive to Illinois.

CATNHAT
06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Most likely an o-ring or failed valve stem. Just take it to the dude in MF and he will pressure test the system, refill with a dye, inspect with an ultraviloet light. If you find a leak, you guys can fix it on the spot. If not, drive for a couple weeks and go back for reinspect with ultraviloet light and fix then.

03CVLX
06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Guys,

Take a look at this thread, I don't think you will need to create an account to read it. I think this could be my problem unless there is actually a leak.

See below

-stew-
06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
You got two options; take it to someone with the knowledge and equipment to properly diagnose your HVAC system. Or throw parts at it based on shit you read on the interwebs. That said it's prolly the hydrosolator or the acumbrulation module. Those go bad on the squads at work all the time.

Car Guy
06-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Guys,

Take a look at this thread, I don't think you will need to create an account to read it. I think this could be my problem unless there is actually a leak.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2117039#Post2117039

Access denied.

03CVLX
06-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Copy and pasted the post I mentioned above. Sounds like it controls the A/C Compressor clutch to kick in. The part is only 15 bucks from Ford and its only on 2003-2005 cars like mine.

In the 2003-2005 Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, there is an evaporator temperature sensor that sometimes fails. Unlike the 1992-2002 and 2006-2010 crown Vic, compressor clutch cycling is controlled by this thermistor rather than the low pressure cutout switch.

If you are troubleshooting poor a/c performance in one of the 2003-2005 cars, make sure that this thermistor is giving accurate readings to the pcm. Many aftermarket a/c shops are going to incorrectly assume that a/c clutch cycling is controlled by the low pressure cutout switch and not going to know that the evaporator temperature sensor exists at all.

The sensor itself is located on the evaporator housing

http://www.p71interceptor.com/actuneup/0305evaptempsensor/housingtempsensor.jpg

http://www.p71interceptor.com/actuneup/0305evaptempsensor/tempsensorremoved.jpg

The sensor is easy to remove. Disconnect the electrical connector, rotate the sensor to disengage the twist-locks, and lift upwards. Removing this part will not let any of the refrigerant charge out of your a/c system.

If you have the oem ford ids scan tool or an aftermarket obd2 scan tool with ford enhanced support, you can read the sensor temperature readings directly from your scan tool. if you do not have such a scan tool, you can use an ohmmeter to read the resistance and correlate the values to the temperature using this chart:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/actuneup/0305evaptempsensor/03sensorresistance.jpg

when troubleshooting, you can place a 10K ohm 1/4 watt resistor across the two pins on the harness and the pcm will think evaporator temperature is around 120 degrees Fahrenheit. if your lack of a/c compressor clutch cycling was caused by this part, you should see the compressor clutch engage then. do be aware that the clutch will stay engaged so you'll get some ice forming on the evaporator if the ambient temperature isn't extremely hot that day.

03CVLX
06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
You got two options; take it to someone with the knowledge and equipment to properly diagnose your HVAC system. Or throw parts at it based on shit you read on the interwebs. That said it's prolly the hydrosolator or the acumbrulation module. Those go bad on the squads at work all the time.

Stew,

I am taking it to be looked at soon. But if a 15 dollar sensor might just fix it, then why in the hell wouldn't I at least seek opinions first before taking up someones free time who is gracious enough to help me with it. And is a hydrosolator or the acumbrulation module even real part names???

PB86MCSS
06-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I just did my wifes car last week. Took it to Jared Wilson in Menomonee falls. 262-894-3519 and he pressure tested, found a leak in the condenser, we found a new condenser in Menomonee falls at the radiator exchange for 1/2 price of autozone, helped install the condenser, refilled freon, found leaky valve stem and replaced it! And he gave me a brand new black magic wheel polishing
kit! Ice cold air now--just in time!

Normal charge is $50.

He does it out of his garage. Nice guy. Tell him Scott with the Odyssey referred you, if you use him.

Is this a shop or does this guy do it on the side? Still looking to have my system vacuumed down then go from there.

CATNHAT
06-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Is this a shop or does this guy do it on the side? Still looking to have my system vacuumed down then go from there.
1 man gang working out of his garage.