PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Cb, Antenna, ect....

Waver
06-04-2011, 09:03 AM
So as some of you know, I am doing another rally in July, so I am looking for a few things:

CB radio (dosnt have to be the greatist, however I dont it to be huge)
Antenna for CB with a suction cup mount
Power inverter (running a computer in the car and I need to power it
power port splitters

Any help will be appreciated!

-stew-
06-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I have a pretty nice cobra actually, Nick. May or may not have a mic. Case of beer and its yours. Only antenna I have is a four foot firestick that may or may not be junk. No car mount.

Mudd Runner
06-04-2011, 10:58 AM
So as some of you know, I am doing another rally in July, so I am looking for a few things:

CB radio (dosnt have to be the greatist, however I dont it to be huge)
Antenna for CB with a suction cup mount
Power inverter (running a computer in the car and I need to power it
power port splitters

Any help will be appreciated!

Nick let me look I should have all you need

DroidX Tapatalk

Waver
06-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Nick let me look I should have all you need

DroidX Tapatalk

Thanks Mike. Stew, if Mike dosnt have it I will be talking to you next.

05caddyext
06-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Please tell me you aren't mounting this in your mustang. That is all.

Reverend Cooper
06-04-2011, 05:52 PM
East bound and down,loaded up and truckin,were gonna do what they say cant be done.

Dr.Buick
06-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Nick you need a T/A and I don't mean tits and ass we all know your :sgay

wrath
06-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Quit being a retard and just go buy a Midland 75-822 and a Wilson antenna. They will both last you a lifetime.

drrodder
06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
If you want this antenna to be temp., cut a thin soft cloth to fit the magnetic mount and place between your paint and the antenna (protect the paint). You'll be glad you did. Then pull away when done. NO TRUNK mounts to ugly the car and less likely to scratch the finish.

wrath
06-05-2011, 10:43 AM
If you want this antenna to be temp., cut a think soft cloth to fit the magnetic mount and place between your paint and the antenna (protect the paint). You'll be glad you did. Then pull away when done. NO TRUNK mounts to ugly the car.

An old natural chamois or cheesecloth works well also.

Waver
06-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Well I appreciate the suggestions, however, considering that the CB will be used for a week in July and maybe one weekend for another rally (so no more than twice a year), the cb dosnt have to be the best. Just something small, that I could possibly mount in the glovebox to hide it. As far as the magnet mounts.....yeah I thought about that one, however the trunk, like the hood, on the new edge mustangs are made of fiberglass. So a magnet mount wont be the most benificial for me. The only way I think it would work is if I put a metal square on the inside of the trunk. I have considered an adapter to run it to the factory antenna, however someone told me that it wouldnt work very well because it was designed to receive a signal not send one (is that true?) So I am thinking considering all that I have found out, a suction cup mount would work best, since it could easily be removed and wont scratch the paint.

The purpose of this is to keep in contact with the other teams when the hand held radio loses the range.....

Josepy
06-06-2011, 09:47 AM
you communicating just between vehicles I assume? why not just get a hand held one. No mounting of anything.

Waver
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
you communicating just between vehicles I assume? why not just get a hand held one. No mounting of anything.
You are correct, however the range of the one that I have in only about 2 miles at most. With over 80 teams doing this, it would be nice to communicate with all of them and not just a small few...If the cb that Mike has dosnt work, I might look into getting a better hand held, like a motorolla.

88Nightmare
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Nick I have a nice Cobra nightwatcher cb radio... face illuminates at night. Also have a 4ft whip antenna with a magnet mount

BR3W CITY
06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I might still have one in my basement. If I can find it, you can have it (but you have to help my push my truck out of the garage.)

Cryptic
06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16872008020 <--cheap

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16872007009 <-- few more features. I think Ben and Myles have this one.

badass88gt
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I am doing another rally in July

Gay rights?

British_Ben
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16872007009 <-- few more features. I think Ben and Myles have this one.

No, Myles and I have the Midland 75-822 that Wrath mentioned. It works well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16872008021&Tpk=midland%2075-822

It plugs into the cigarette lighter and can be attached to an external antenna or switched over to the battery pack and used as a handheld.

Along with one of these antennas -> http://www.walcottcb.com/cb-antennas-mobile-glass-mounted-cb-antennas-c-28_352_412_426.html I think you'd have a pretty nice little setup for a Mustang if you wanted it to be inconspicuous.

It would be relatively cheap as well since newegg has an excellent price on the radio.

pOrk
06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Why don't you use a cell phone? lol tard

Waver
06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Gay rights?
Lol No. The road rally is to help benifit the Intrepid Fallen Hero's Fund. This fund was started to help out the families of soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

No, Myles and I have the Midland 75-822 that Wrath mentioned. It works well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16872008021&Tpk=midland%2075-822

It plugs into the cigarette lighter and can be attached to an external antenna or switched over to the battery pack and used as a handheld.

Along with one of these antennas -> http://www.walcottcb.com/cb-antennas-mobile-glass-mounted-cb-antennas-c-28_352_412_426.html I think you'd have a pretty nice little setup for a Mustang if you wanted it to be inconspicuous.

It would be relatively cheap as well since newegg has an excellent price on the radio. I thought about those windshield mounts as well. Has anyone ever used one? Dont the range on those stink?

Why don't you use a cell phone? lol tard

Going to be in the Appalachian Mountians....dont know what kind of reception I will have. Besides, I am going to be using it as a modem for the computer so my girlfriend can figure out where the checkpoints are for each day.

badass88gt
06-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood, but did you just say all navigational duties will be assigned to the female?

Korndogg
06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
What kind of range are you looking for?

British_Ben
06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I thought about those windshield mounts as well. Has anyone ever used one? Dont the range on those stink?

I've never used one. I would imagine they should be able to get 1 to 1.5 miles as long as they are tuned correctly. The 2ft antenna would obviously outperform the shorter antenna. With my 4 ft antenna I can talk 2.5 - 3 miles depending on the terrain. If you want to go farther than that you're going to need a pretty big whip or an amp (illegal). Your results will vary greatly with the terrain. Mountains absorb a lot of signal and the only way to overcome it is with more signal.

Best bet with a window mount would be to mount it in the center of the back window as close to the roof line as possible. Your ground plane (what actually bounces the signal out) should be your roof, this doesn't mean that you need to ground the antenna to the roof, however.

Waver
06-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood, but did you just say all navigational duties will be assigned to the female?Lol yeah, she is going to be doing the navigating....I am going to be busy with the driving....we will have more than one GPS in the car. She just needs to find the address/location on the web and enter it in the gps units.

What kind of range are you looking for?Honestly, I dont know what I should expect. I have a small hand held 2 way radio that has like 6 channels. Says that it is good for a mile and a half, however it is more like 800 feet or so.

I've never used one. I would imagine they should be able to get 1 to 1.5 miles as long as they are tuned correctly. The 2ft antenna would obviously outperform the shorter antenna. With my 4 ft antenna I can talk 2.5 - 3 miles depending on the terrain. If you want to go farther than that you're going to need a pretty big whip or an amp (illegal). Your results will vary greatly with the terrain. Mountains absorb a lot of signal and the only way to overcome it is with more signal.

Best bet with a window mount would be to mount it in the center of the back window as close to the roof line as possible. Your ground plane (what actually bounces the signal out) should be your roof, this doesn't mean that you need to ground the antenna to the roof, however. Is it possible to piggy back those window antennas, say one on either corner of the window? Kind of like those old school cellphone antennas?

Mudd Runner
06-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Just go buy a 8 foot whip and be done with it

DroidX Tapatalk

xxtremeteam
06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blp89fK2OYY

Ricky Bobby
06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
hmm i can check my garage for my cobra and linear amp and '8 thunderbolt with tri-mount u want powa i gots powa. But havent used it all in 12yrs so have no idea if it works the antenna is good but rest of it is sketchy

xxtremeteam
06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWO_AIh8drk

British_Ben
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Is it possible to piggy back those window antennas, say one on either corner of the window? Kind of like those old school cellphone antennas?

I wouldn't. They would be way to close to each other for co-phasing. I would stick with one antenna unless you're putting them on the mirrors of a semi.

drrodder
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Best range is with a real antenna and the car as the other half. If you are going to be in the mountains, then I would opt for the magnetic mount and put it on the roof (fiberglass hood and truck lid). An antenna on the center of any vehical is best for all directions of communications. I run mine on my truck that way (of course that one is a permanent mount). The antenna can make or break a middle of the road CB.