PDA

View Full Version : Next Corvette....turbo V8?

Z28Envy
06-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Thoughts???

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-corvette-will-be-powered-by-small--high-revving-turbo-v-8.html

Reverend Cooper
06-03-2011, 12:27 AM
even i have to say thats gay the vette has always been pushrod pah and bigger cubes

FoxStang
06-03-2011, 01:01 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. With that said, this is probably going to be an options package on top of a regular 8 banger, I doubt GM is stupid enough make a low displacement turbo V8 its bread and butter engine. Then again their management has made many terrible decisions in the past, so what do I know.

Z28Envy
06-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Not sure why they think they need to fix something that isn't broken. If it turns out to be an option then I think it would be cool to see one and how well it performs. I think it would be foolish to move anyway from what has kept the corvette so popular.

BAD LS1
06-03-2011, 08:07 AM
GM does not have a good track record with any DOHC engine in history... Even the current LLT 3.6 with all its timing chain issues is a prime example. im of the same opinion, do what you are good at and do it well, long live the pushrods! I dont know they can make the LS engine better except keep making them bigger and different FI methods.

WhatsADSM
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Seems like a good idea to me.

Besides it said in the C7 you could get either or. High rev small v8 + turbo or bigger pushrod n/a v8.

FoxStang
06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
GM does not have a good track record with any DOHC engine in history... Even the current LLT 3.6 with all its timing chain issues is a prime example. im of the same opinion, do what you are good at and do it well, long live the pushrods! I dont know they can make the LS engine better except keep making them bigger and different FI methods.
Direct injection will probably be on the horizon, whether or not its paired with a turbo.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Besides it said in the C7 you could get either or. High rev small v8 + turbo or bigger pushrod n/a v8.

If you make the base engine the small v8 turbo, people will be unhappy. If the top of the line vette is small v8 turbo only, people are going to be really unhappy. Seems like a scenario that GM can't win. All of this is going to be based on the assumption that the people they're marketing this change to will buy them in big enough numbers to justify pissing of the traditionalist that won't buy it anymore. They're out to trump the world class car they've already built, and understandably, that's quite the undertaking. While it will be interesting to see what they turn out, it doesn't seem like the greatest idea unless this small v8 turbo is merely a middle trim car. Honestly I don't understand why they want to change the recipe so much, the current Corvette's only real downside for the money is the absolute junk interior.

GHOSST
06-03-2011, 11:51 AM
A vette that sounds like a ferrari? :gay American muscle should sound like, uh american muscle.

SSLEVO
06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I think it's kind of cool, if you guys would read the entire article you would see they have the traditional displacement v8 available as well. I think they need to break the "old man" stigma and get some younger buyers.

flyin_blue_egg
06-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't think the turbo v8 is going to be the standard engine for any of the models. The article made it sound like it would purely be an option.

jamestown478
06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
400hp? why would they turbo a car and have it making less power than a new z06?

lordairgtar
06-03-2011, 02:33 PM
I say "Go for it". The way some of you talk, they should have kept the solid axle and Blue Flame six from 1953.

WhatsADSM
06-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I think it's kind of cool, if you guys would read the entire article you would see they have the traditional displacement v8 available as well. I think they need to break the "old man" stigma and get some younger buyers.

x2

It was pretty hard for me to wrap my mind around the "this car is for old men that want to cruise gingerly to church on sunday in some gold chains sounding cool" image when I was looking at picking up a vette.

Like it or not that's its image. I don't mean to sound too much like an ass but I really don't know any other way to put it.. If this article is based it truth at all, it sounds like they are looking to take the vette a little bit more "up market". Do they love selling to primarily old folk... sure but they also realize that market is well growing older. Not many people my age (who are actual enthusiasts) give the vette much consideration. They are all looking at more exotic vehicles with more perceived technology.

If it were offered with a high revving, dry-sumped,turbo v8 I'd strongly consider it. Mid-engine I wouldn't even bother looking elsewhere.

IMHO I like the idea. Take the vette, give it more tech, and make it compete more with the exotic market.

Pushrod, old school, sounds cool, big horsepower, fast in a straight line. That's the Camaro market! If I want to have a v8 rumble make stupid power and rip my face off in a straight line, I'll take a solid axle f-body please :)

400hp? why would they turbo a car and have it making less power than a new z06?

That's a great question and part of what makes me question that article. It would actually be DIFFICULT to make a high revving (9-10k) turbo v8 produce only 400 horsepower. Small displacement or not. Sounds very questionable.

SSLEVO
06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm 26 and have a C6, most other owners are twice my age, haha.

That doesn't bother me one bit as it's a hell of a car for the money. Couldn't be beat dollar for dollar.

I also agree that the 400 number sounds quite low. Either way, i wouldn't buy one in the first few years, lol

Car Guy
06-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I say "Go for it". The way some of you talk, they should have kept the solid axle and Blue Flame six from 1953.

:wstupid

Nickerz
06-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm calling bullshit on this. There is no way GM is making a DOHC Turbo V8 that revs to 10,000. Anyone that believes this rubbish is a moron.

Waver
06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm calling bullshit on this. There is no way GM is making a DOHC Turbo V8 that revs to 10,000. Anyone that believes this rubbish is a moron.
Who says that "they" are making it. They will probably have another engine manufacturer designing/build the engine for them. Examples of this would be the 4 cyl that was in the pontiac vibe (toyota) and the 90's corvette zr-1 (lotus). Gm already makes engines that are more than able to hold up to the stresses that 10000 rpm creates. They just use/used them in their racing efforts.

Nickerz
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Who says that "they" are making it. They will probably have another engine manufacturer designing/build the engine for them. Examples of this would be the 4 cyl that was in the pontiac vibe (toyota) and the 90's corvette zr-1 (lotus). Gm already makes engines that are more than able to hold up to the stresses that 10000 rpm creates. They just use/used them in their racing efforts.

I could see a small super hipo like the zr1, but not the basemodel. And the Matrix\Vibe was a collaboration between two manufacturers, there's a big difference between that and just having some custom motor ordered like say the SHO motor from Yamaha or the Mercury Marine engine for the ZR1 back in the day.

Taetsch Z-24
06-08-2011, 02:43 PM
If it makes power, and has the low end grunt, I am ok with it... BUT what more problems will this engine have... (3.5 DOHC I5, 2.8 DOHC I4, 4.2 DOHC I6, 3.6 DOHC V6... all junk.)

Nickerz
06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
If it makes power, and has the low end grunt, I am ok with it... BUT what more problems will this engine have... (3.5 DOHC I5, 2.8 DOHC I4, 4.2 DOHC I6, 3.6 DOHC V6... all junk.)

Enjoy your vacation and stop posting.

SSLEVO
06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Whats wrong with the 4.2L I6? works pretty nice in our envoy with 120k on it.