PDA

View Full Version : My g/f had her first kill in the L

animal
08-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Saturday was the rare day with perfect weather that I let my g/f drive the Lightning. We pull up to a light next to a red srt4 with an older lady in it. I thought nothing of it since she was old but she took off spinning the tires. Next light, I was going to say "don't let this b!tch beat you" but I figured I'd see what she'd do never having been wide open on my truck at all.

She certainly didn't disappoint me. It was on cement, and I swear the 20psi nittos hooked like we were on a prepped track. By the end of first gear we had 3 body lengths on her and were adding more. I could hear the lady bark 2nd and what sounded like a clutch dump into 3rd so she was definately on it.

I was just giggling since it was the first time I've ever ridden in the passenger seat when the truck was wide open. I never realized how much louder the side exit exhaust is from that side of the truck either. Plus it's a totally different feel when you're not driving it.

I know I'm not the fastest truck here in the least, and those crappy neon things aren't much to brag about stock (and I'm sure this one was totally stock), but it was cool since it wasn't me drivin for once. :)

Just thought I'd share.

Yooformula
08-16-2004, 11:31 AM
What even funnier is that your girl was driving! Thats awesome!! Dem womens that drive fast and hard kick a$$! :rockwoot: I think my wife is scared to drive my car now, she used to drive the hell out of it too. :crying

srt4eh
08-16-2004, 01:06 PM
crappy neon things? stock vs stock we've been known to hang with lightnings.

animal
08-16-2004, 01:15 PM
They're still crappy imho. But to each their own.

I knew that'd get you guys going haha. I was considering omitting it but whatever.

But no one said I was stock did they. That's why I wasn't bragging that i beat a stock one. More that my chick beat something... and it's just a detail that it happened to be one of those "crappy neon things" ;)

Silver03SRT
08-16-2004, 03:14 PM
yes lightnings are nice trucks. but i do believe that they are all automatic not really sure since i am not a truck guy. but that being said how hard is it to hit the gas. im not saying lightnings are slow but it doesnt take much skill to drive an automatic. driving stick is where you see the skill of the driver. but good kill none the less.

animal
08-16-2004, 03:23 PM
They are all automatic... from the factory anyways. And that's because ford doesn't have a manual tranny in the current parts bin that'll hold up to 450ft/lb on one side and 4700lbs worth of truck on the other. (on a side note: I've long said that the srt-10 will have tranny problems for the same reason, but that's just my speculation, they're too new to start judging)

But in the end, it's all in who trips the win light at the end of the track, manual or otherwise.

SMS 1
08-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Nice! Can't wait till my wife gets a confirmed kill so I can brag about it here! :popcorn

Brian98GTP
08-16-2004, 05:11 PM
but that being said how hard is it to hit the gas. im not saying lightnings are slow but it doesnt take much skill to drive an automatic.

More than you may think....

There is something called TORQUE...Maybe youve heard of it??
Especially with the Roots style blowers that are on the Lightnings/GTP's...

Whether its an Automatic Lightning, Automatic Grand National, Automatic GTP, or an Automatic Z-28..... It takes SKILL to launch it without lighting up the tires in smoke..... Not quite as much skill as a Manual, but its not as easy as you may THINK it is....

Just 'MASHING' the gas off the line will result in tire spin up the ying-yang... Its almost the same as you dropping the clutch at 7K rpms...

The reason I had to say all that, is because I hear that 'Saying' a lot, and people simply think its just a matter of flooring it off the line.... :rolleyes:

SMS 1
08-16-2004, 05:35 PM
More than you may think....

There is something called TORQUE...Maybe youve heard of it??
Especially with the Roots style blowers that are on the Lightnings/GTP's...

Whether its an Automatic Lightning, Automatic Grand National, Automatic GTP, or an Automatic Z-28..... It takes SKILL to launch it without lighting up the tires in smoke..... Not quite as much skill as a Manual, but its not as easy as you may THINK it is....

Just 'MASHING' the gas off the line will result in tire spin up the ying-yang... Its almost the same as you dropping the clutch at 7K rpms...

The reason I had to say all that, is because I hear that 'Saying' a lot, and people simply think its just a matter of flooring it off the line.... :rolleyes:

Yup, what he said :burnout

Silver03SRT
08-16-2004, 10:35 PM
ya i know it takes some skill but not as much skill as driving a manual car. i am not trying to defend the srt or anything just saying its a little bit easier to launch an auto than a manual. ya those srt-10 trucks are probably going to have problems ecpecially the idiots that tow stuff with them. they are not set up for towing **** with.

deciuss
08-16-2004, 10:43 PM
autos = faster then m/t if you get a an electronic shift kit no human can shift as fast as a computer

animal
08-17-2004, 07:31 AM
autos = faster then m/t if you get a an electronic shift kit no human can shift as fast as a computer

Auto transmissions, though controlled by a computer are still "shifted" by mechanical means. But you are right.

I think he's just whining :) If it was that much of an advantage, there'd be two classes in racing.

Prince Valiant
08-17-2004, 08:28 AM
:loser

Autos are inherently less effecient at transfering power than a manual trans, and in general wiegh more to boot...ultimately, a manual is faster.

And animal, on a side note, they did use to have seperate classes and records for cars based on if it was equipped with auto or manual (they still may as well, not sure though)...and fwiw, auto's used to be the prefered tranny back in the day because while they had some disadvantages, overall it was much easier to deal with the crappy old school tires when you only had to modulate only one foot coming off the line.

animal
08-17-2004, 10:03 AM
they did use to have seperate classes and records for cars based on if it was equipped with auto or manual

I stand corrected. I'd never heard this 'in all my years'. :)

Autos are inherently less effecient at transfering power than a manual trans, and in general wiegh more to boot...ultimately, a manual is faster.

This being the case why is he whining then? I mean wouldn't that mean the m/t guys have the upper hand?

SMS 1
08-17-2004, 04:35 PM
:loser

That is a point that is very very often overlooked. Why can't I ever think of that when some kid is telling me "ya well you mean to tell me your foot and arm move as fast as a computer/solenoid!?"

Usually I just say "Yup" :goof

SMOKDU
08-17-2004, 08:11 PM
well my car is an automatic and if you have the right tires and combo you can mash it. with street tires or drag radial, bfg's i had to feather the gas to keep from spinning. it is not as hard as a 5 speed. i think most cars are faster at the track if they are automatics because there is less chance of human error. plus you are more consistant if you are not a pro shifter. my car is a manual valve body and that means that i have to shift it to each gear myself there is no computer taking over and i have to hit my shift points. my car revs so fast that i can hardly think about shifting or looking at the tach. it is mostly feel and engine sound shift that you get used to after hrs in the car.
so what im trying to say is that standard shifters transfer power faster but with more human error. i do not think i would be as fast as i am if a had a 5 or 6 speed. so i did it just for that fact. i hope this helps and there are not race classes at the track for automatics or sticks.

deciuss
08-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Don’t some of the race class things that go on use like touch shifters on the steering wheel? I think overall for many people a auto that is run by a computer that hooks up to the stock one or that replaces it will be faster for many people, this is the one I plan on getting next summer.

http://www.levelten.com/store/import/items/electronics/import_shiftronic.htm

with having to run/look at the e-01 for boost spikes using a small shot of nitrous for better spool times and also running the ncooler all to make the civic run 13's there would be no time to manually shift the car and even in this set up it would take some time to get into that grove and flow of which buttons to push. Plus on top of all that I suck at driving a m/t.

I just hope I have enough for all thows goodies by the end of next summer

SMS 1
08-17-2004, 11:55 PM
http://www.levelten.com/store/import/items/electronics/import_shiftronic.htm

:stare Whoa, that thing looks like a good way to get the internal trans pieces mad at you.

deciuss
08-18-2004, 12:27 AM
thats why im buying the upgraded tranny from them also

suposibly when i called them with just the upgraded tranny and the tq converter its supost to take off a second of the 1/4th