PDA

View Full Version : 01 Mustang GT....Salvage Title Questions....etc

srt4eh
05-30-2011, 09:08 PM
A friend of mine has a 2001 Ford Mustang GT that he wants to trade me...here is the basic rundown of the car:

"Tremec T-5 transmission, BBK cold air / MAF, bbk 85 mm throttle body and roush upper plenum. Has 55lb ford racing fuel injectors, stage 3 hypertech computer and programmer.BBK undercar braces and BBK racing springs. Pro 5.0 shifter."

Silver with 112k on it....freshened up the engine at 103k with:
"new piston rings, new crankshaft bearings, heads brought to a machine shop for work, 2 connecting rods replaced, oil pump replaced"

Here's the downside:
"the car is a salvage (but shouldn't be.) It was in a wreck from a police chase and had a smashed left rear end. Police impounded the car, and deemed it wasn't worth auctioning, but was worth fixing up as an inteceptor. (apparently, in order to do that, they had to mark the car as totalled). I have pictures and a record of what went into the car to fix it. Definitely not totaled. (needed rear panel, trunk, lights, and differential basically)"

Since I know nothing about salvages and/or Mustangs...I figure maybe someone could help me out with some insight about whether this car is worth my time and whether this story is plausible. I also have the VIN #1FAFP42X31F252370
Thanks

PureSound15
05-30-2011, 09:10 PM
IMHO - run away from that deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverend Cooper
05-30-2011, 09:13 PM
^ Depends,what's going to happen with it? Drag car? road race car? if so the title really doesn't matter. otherwise if its a daily driver just be prepared it will be worthless to anyone else but yourself. JMHO

88Nightmare
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
why would a generally stock car have 55lb injectors? just curious...

but like coop said, with a salvage title, it will be worthless to anyone else

Nix
05-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Trade you for what? If what he wants to trade you make sure you are trading him something that is worth a "salvaged mustang" and not just a "mustang". You know what I mean? They are not worth the same

Also like said above, come time to part ways with the Mustang it won't be worth a damn to most people seeing as it is a salvaged title. You just need to make sure that it is something that you are ok with down the road.

Rocket Power
05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
How bad was it beat on to need two rods on a "freshen up". :stare I'd pass

srt4eh
05-30-2011, 09:34 PM
How bad was it beat on to need two rods on a "freshen up". :stare I'd pass

Agreed....I'm gonna pass. Apparently he also had to fix some other stuff that the previous owner screwed up....thanks y'all.

Reverend Cooper
05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
my guess would be it was a nitrous car

GTSLOW
05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Did I miss what you were trading for it?

badass88gt
05-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Have him take it to be inspected. Once it passes the title will read "previously titled as salvage" but once its inspected it's legal to register.

If it's a dedicated race car then salvage means nothing.

srt4eh
05-31-2011, 06:44 PM
He wanted to trade me for my Neon Challenge car

Gregor
05-31-2011, 10:57 PM
I would pass on the deal. That Neon is pretty cool. We had a ACR a few years back and it was a blast at SCCA at Miller Park. The only problem is that it kept killing engines and had a lot of computer and sensor issues.

The only way I would trade that Neon for a Mustang was if it was a SVO, A clean Fox/SN95 5.0/4.6.

srt4eh
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Agreed...I dislike most Mustangs...it'd have to be pretty sweet for me to jump on one.