PDA

View Full Version : Ever wish you could track your pet if it was lost?

88Nightmare
05-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Now you can. My girlfriend and I went to the AT&T store to add a line to my plan and get her on my contract so we can save some money every month and while we were browsing around, we picked up one of these:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686&ra=true

It is a waterproof locating device you can attach to your pets collar. It came with a zipper pouch and a strap so it attaches to any dog collar. You can track your dogs location via the garmin website or with Android/Iphone apps. It is a little pricey, but because we bought an iphone at the same time, they cut us a hell of a deal. Battery can last about 7 days before needing a recharge. Thought it was pretty cool, especially considering we like to take our dog to lakes and have him fetch into the water. If he happens to run off, it wouldn't be hard to find him. On the locating map, it is accurate to within ~45ft. Just thought it was neat and worth sharing

88Nightmare
05-28-2011, 08:32 PM
It also operates off the AT&T data network so it will work indoors, unlike a traditional GPS device which is satellite driven

michelle
05-28-2011, 08:42 PM
That's pretty sweet!

Prince Valiant
05-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Very cool!

Crawlin
05-28-2011, 09:05 PM
what's the difference between this and the microchips that are implanted in the dog? are those not "GPS" just a identification marker?

Korndogg
05-28-2011, 09:09 PM
no they are not....the microchips are if someone brings your dog into the pound the can scan it and see who owns it

88Nightmare
05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
microchips are just an RF chip, much like the Illinois tollway I-Pass device. It has a digital ID to it, but is not locatable. It can only be read with the proper scanners. The humane society, MADACC, and even some vet clinics now have the RF scanners. They are not tracking devices though. I still highly recommend microchipping your pet because if it is scanned by the police, humane society, or MADACC, they can immediately identify your name, address, and phone number to get in contact with you. This garmin device however, gives you realtime tracking of your pet on a map. Handy if you are out for a walk with your dog or playing in a large field and your dog gets away from you or takes off and you lose sight of it, or if god forbid, your dog is stolen.

HITMAN
05-29-2011, 01:15 AM
No need for that. My dogs have alway had their own type of implant. I can always find mine after the first time they run away because I can alway see the shoe sticking out of their ass... :goof

HITMAN
05-29-2011, 01:17 AM
microchips are just an RF chip, much like the Illinois tollway I-Pass device. It has a digital ID to it, but is not locatable. It can only be read with the proper scanners. The humane society, MADACC, and even some vet clinics now have the RF scanners. They are not tracking devices though. I still highly recommend microchipping your pet because if it is scanned by the police, humane society, or MADACC, they can immediately identify your name, address, and phone number to get in contact with you. This garmin device however, gives you realtime tracking of your pet on a map. Handy if you are out for a walk with your dog or playing in a large field and your dog gets away from you or takes off and you lose sight of it, or if god forbid, your dog is stolen.

Don't your dogs resent being marked with the Number Of The Beast, er, wait a minute...

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

pOrk
05-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Cool idea, but 200 bucks is better spent for me as my dog loves me and wouldn't run away :) He is microchipped just in case though

88Nightmare
05-29-2011, 11:26 AM
we didn't pay $200 :)

PureSound15
05-29-2011, 01:37 PM
What did you pay? Is there a monthly charge too?

I'd die if I lost my dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05caddyext
05-29-2011, 04:02 PM
losing a dog is the worst feeling in the world. mine was gone for 2 days. longest 2 days of my life.

88Nightmare
05-29-2011, 09:49 PM
We payed $120 for it. First year of tracking is free with purchase, every year after that is $50 for the whole year.