PDA

View Full Version : Going back to school for CNC operating

kornholio788
05-25-2011, 04:50 PM
So I am thinking about going back to school. This is a position that I always thought was pretty cool and there always seems to be listings on CL and the local job site for with good pay. Does anyone here currently operate a CNC or have any info on it? Where did you go to school and what classes did you take?

Any info is appreciated.

pOrk
05-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Like me or not I know this subject well. There's no such thing as a CNC operator anymore, eveything is controlled by the machine. The "operator" stands in front of it and pushes a button. Most smaller companys have their engineers write the programs and large companies have their own programmers. The operators job is to do nothing but operate, aka take parts out and put parts in. This job sucks, if you like to use your head it will turn into mush.

kornholio788
05-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Lol I don't hate you pork. Not at all. Good to know. There are sooo many postings on cl for 20 dollar jobs. Why are they in such high demand?

SSLEVO
05-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm a manufacturing engineer so i work with these types of things every day. You will see a few different positions out there, there is a tool and die maker, machinist, programmer, and operator among other things.

Like pork said, people are hiring "operators" more and more these days to run the mill/lathe, we call these people "button pushers." They know little to nothing about cnc's and load/unload the parts. They typically get paid $10-$15 an hour. Some shops do still have machinists operate the machines but why pay some guy $20-$25 an hour when some one else can press the "cycle start" button for $10.

In the shop i work at, i will do some programming and we also have a machining tech (machinist) out on the floor that will do programming and set-ups. I would guess he gets paid in the $20 an hour range. He sets up the fixtures, tools and loads/creates the programs. We then have "operators" that run the job until completion.

If i were you, i would find a good 2 year tool and die program and start from scratch. A CNC is a very powerful tool, you have to know how to make chips first before you can master the CNC. The tool and die program will probably dive into the cnc stuff quite a bit but i'm not really sure. I would have to think MATC offers something like this.

pOrk
05-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Another guy to ask about this is Greg, he almost went into one of these training programs and I think they are VERY misleading...

fivonut
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
A friend of mine owns a machine shop up here. He took metal shop in high school and worked in a shop shortly after. Ten or so years ago he bought the building he used to work in and a machine. Today he runs 5 CNC mills and has 4 employees. Last summer I worked for him for a few months to help him get caught up. It was fun but got very monotonous at times. Especially when you're making 200 of the same part. If you have the time and can afford lower pay get into a shop and learn on the job. If you want the big bucks out of the gate you'd have better odds going for a certificate or degree in machine tool.

awsomeears
05-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Get into the HVAC field, old guys will be burning out soon and if you know your shit like I some what do there is always work.....

I somewhat convinced a buddy of mine to get into it, he went to MATC and from speaking to him while I was training him the classes have improved GREATLY from when I took it 4 years ago. I now got him a job with me and in another year he should be making all of $15 an hour and spiffs once a month..

loud91rs
05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
I am a machinist at a small company in pewaukee. I took a semester of machine tool operation at wctc and bailed on that after I took the job where I currently am. My job taught me pretty much all I know. I went from no CNC experience, to programming, setting up, and running several CNC lathes. Would I say school is pointless? No. They teach you the basics and that's it. It's a good tool, but you will learn much more on the job.

If I could do it again, I would probably pick something else. When the economy sucks it hits the industry hard. There are a lot of job postings now though. 2 years ago I was on 32 hour weeks. Now 60. Others I have talked to say the same. Sadly, who knows how the times will be once you complete school, but if it's something that you like I say go for it.

Al
05-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Moraine Park has an awesome CNC programming program.

If you want to do machining, why not consider tool and die making. It takes the same amount of time to get through the school and you will earn twice as much once you are a journeyman. The apprentice program for this trade is great too.