PDA

View Full Version : Xpipe placement

Gregor
05-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I am still working on my Mustang....I finished reworking a set of old headers. So for once I can say that I cut up a set of Hookers. LOL. So I bought a set of 2.5" header extension pipe kit and a universal x pipe kit. After about a hour I reworked extensions so they clear the crossmember yet tuck up under the body. But between the crossmember and driveshaft safety loop I have little room to put in a x pipe.

How far back can I place the x pipe before its no longer useful? At 19" from the header flange the x pipe clears the loop. But this is about half way down the exhaust system. The pipes require a bit of room for all the turns and bends. I have a MIG welder so cutting them to fit and making weird bends can help me a little.

Now this is a 65 Mustang with little room under the car. Also add the loop, the stock 2" exhaust pipe and the horrible placement of the trans crossmember and I almost have a no win case on my hands.

Any ideas?

Swags63
06-08-2011, 12:20 AM
You might want to look at using just an H pipe depending on your application. Alot of times they sound better on an older muscle car and your really not giving up any power. That is what I'm using on my 69 mustang.

Gregor
06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
After a few hours of cutting and swearing I would never do another exhaust kit from bends and pipe I made it work. But yeah it was tight.