PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with subaru's?

subliminal1284
05-21-2011, 06:01 PM
If so I need some advice, I bought a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback AWD with a 2.5 engine and 5 speed manual transmission with what I thought was 167,000 miles, I paid $1050. After I bought the car and drove away I noticed the odometer didnt work at all. The car seems to run well but does need work, I need to replace the valve cover gaskets cause they are pissing out oil and the shifter seems to be a little loose and rattles as you drive down the road unless you put your hand on it. The body is pretty good with only a few small areas of rust and the paint is still in good shape.

After I got home I did an auto check on it and the last recorded mileage was in 2008 and guess what the mileage reported then was 167,000 so this odometer hasnt been working for at least 3 years and if it was driven regularly it probably has atleast around 200,000 actual miles if not more. My question is how long do these subaru 2.5 engines last and would it be worth it to keep it or should I just cut my losses and attempt to sell it as is? Thanks.

Russ Jerome
05-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Your gonna find normaly aspirated 2.5 Subies with over 350k and running on forrums, many with more.

For a grand your not gonna find much better is my feeling, run the wheels off it.

jbiscuit
05-21-2011, 10:07 PM
That car should serve you well. Those are tough motors so make the necessary repairs and keep up on the maintenance and it should be a great car

spooln30
05-22-2011, 12:41 AM
The 2.5 are known for head gasket leaks. If it is a external leak Subaru does make a coolant addative. It has worked for me in the past. But if the leak is not repairable the gaskets need to be replaced. Otherwise my Legacy has done me very well. 180k and I did a compression check last week and I was surprised they were only 8-10psi down from the normal PSI. So I'm very happy.

Dr.Buick
05-22-2011, 06:56 AM
thoes heads are easy to do if you have the right tools and small hands

1320PNY
05-22-2011, 07:49 PM
The 2.5 needs timing done every 100K. Make sure the timing was done. If not, do it pronto. Outside of that, check the tranny fluid color. Pretty much will run forever if you remember to drive it lightly. You can get $1500 for it right now if you just wanted to unload it.