PDA

View Full Version : IT Guys.. I need big help

03CVLX
05-16-2011, 01:51 AM
I was working on a friends computer changing anti virus programs and updating a few drivers and something somewhere failed. Now I don;t have a sound card, or front usb ports. Also have two other devices with problems. The drivers are all installed correctly per windows vista. I get Error code 12 in device manager. "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)". It says to use this device I need to disable another device.

HELP!! Would like to get my friends PC back to working normal very soon.

wikked
05-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Try this: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/PCMCIA/6002277/6002277su48.shtml

But check all the hardware specific devices (display adapters, dvd, keyboards, mice, monitors, network adapters, sound/vid/game controllers).

Something old/nonexistant is sharing a resource it sounds like.

03CVLX
05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks Wikked, If I have to do a clean install of windows will that wipe out any bogus or duplicate drivers if they exist. I found a thread similar to what you posted and I can't seem to find what is doubled up at all. I even tried deactiving things they don't use. Hoping it would make the other things work. But no go there either.

British_Ben
05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Does the computer have multiples of the same devices? IE, an onboard sound card and a sound card connected via PCI port or a NIC or Video Card in the same situation? You may have updated the drivers for the wrong device(s) and/or turned one of those devices on by updating drivers for them. Especially if they are the same type of cards (Both realtek sound cards for instance).

If you find that you do have multiples of the same hardware in the computer, reboot and get into the BIOS and disable the onboard stuff.

03CVLX
05-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Im thinking thats what happened something got turned on that wasnt before when driver updates installed. Now I just gotta find the duplicate device. Worst case though if i have to reinstall windows it should fix it right??

British_Ben
05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't count on a fresh install fixing it if the devices are the same type and have the same chip on them. They will most likely request the same resources no matter what at the hardware level. Your best bet is to find duplicates and disable them in the BIOS. It's most likely a sound card that's doing this. Video cards and NICs tend to play well with each other. (I have multiples in a few of my computers)

wikked
05-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Hmm, can you try and make a cell phone video of you clicking thru all the devices in Device Manager? Post it up on YouTube. I'm sure we could figure it out.

03CVLX
05-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey, thanks for the help guys. I fixed it. Discovered there was alot of devices missing from the list. Ended up trying the factory restore and it worked flawlessly. Maybe I got lucky I am not sure. But it worked and everyone is happy.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

British_Ben
05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
No problem, glad to hear it.