PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do automotive A/C that can help me out?

BAD LS1
04-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Im trying to get my A/C working properly on my Saturn after having to replace the compressor due to a failed clutch coil. I filled it with the store bought cans and hose kit and at the time the ambient temp was kinda cold to get accurate pressure readings, but it took a 2lb can which about what the system requires. The a/c works but it is barely cold. I think it would be best to get the stuff evacuated out i put in, pull a vacuum on the system and refill with using the proper manifold gauges etc and go from there. This system did work awesome prior to the clutch failing and me having to open the system.

Cryptic
04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I think the system needs to be complete empty (vaccuum to negative pressure) then filled to a specific pressure, but not too much.
Memphis has the proper machine to do this.

Josepy
04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Take it by Zoeschs

BAD LS1
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
^^^ yeah its more than dumping in a can of illinois R134a if you expect it to blow ice vs slightly cool air, this i have found out! lol I still have an ongoing cooling fan issue im trying to solve yet too... fucking Opel Vectra B!

Josepy
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
^^^ yeah its more than dumping in a can of illinois R134a if you expect it to blow ice vs slightly cool air, this i have found out! lol I still have an ongoing cooling fan issue im trying to solve yet too... fucking Opel Vectra B!

oh when they did mine it was hooked up to a machine. not sure what it all did but it worked good until my car blew a seal.

awsomeears
04-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm in the HVAC field but haven't messed with cars, but when under a vacuum you can just suck in the correct amount and it should work. Did the service manual say 2lbs ?

I do the same when working on a Residential System, usually start at 4lbs plus the copper line length...

BAD LS1
04-28-2011, 10:39 AM
2lbs on the sticker underhood. I guess the vacuum thing is a huge deal for keeping moisture out and giving all the components a fighting chance at lasting a while, plus all the extra "air" in the system takes up room that could have otherwise been filled with freon etc... the system doesnt work by "air" pressure differentials lol. uggh so much to learn about a/c, this will now inspire me.

awsomeears
04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Ohh ....

So I'm guessing the a/c system was just in atmospheric pressure when you decided to add the refrigerant ?

You should 1st pump up the system with nitrogen to grab moisture molecules, then let it sit to see if the gauge drops showing a leak in the system. Next let the nitrogen fly on out and equalize, then hook up a vacuum pump and pump it on down to xxxx microns ( I say xxxx because on residential stuff you wait until .500 microns ) and then take the gauges off the pump hook it up to a R134 cylinder that is on a scale and let the system suck in 2lbs.....

There is a rule of thumb with automotive A/C

Out side temp vs what comes out of the vent, I think they shoot for 15 to 20 degree difference....

But you shouldn't really have to worry about rule of thumbs as the sticker says it all on what to add...

spooln30
04-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Do both of your fans work? Also if you feel the high and low pressure lines is one hot and one ice cold when the AC is on?

BAD LS1
04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
It's my 9 year old dd. I was trying to get it functional again on the cheap.

The fan control module shit out on it. Gotta get the fans functional again with the a new one i got first. That's died around the same time as the compressor but is common on these cars.

Reverend Cooper
04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
putting a vacuum on it is used to Boil the moisture out,if the reciever drier is full of moisture it will affect operation having it hold a vacuum shows also that there is no leaks,it also allows the refrigerant to be dran into the system,if it only takes 2lbs that is all it should have. that is where you should start and then see how it operates and diagnose a problem from there. just my .02
if the fans arent working its also not allowing the refrigerant to condense from a gaseous state to a liquid state as well as it should either.this will be a larger issue the higher the ambient temp is.

spooln30
04-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah on my Subaru only one fan was working and my AC was kinda cold, when I found the issue of the AC fan and fixed it the air was nice and cold. I would get the fan issue fixed first and see how much the temp changes. Also did you buy a new or used compressor. Reason for asking is I've had used compressors that seemed to work(clutch kicked in) but the shaft inside that drives the compressor was broke.

awsomeears
04-28-2011, 11:19 PM
BSD LS1 to bad you weren't closer I'd borrow you my nice JB 3 CFM pump.....