PDA

View Full Version : Need some brake caliper help.....

turbogarrett
04-26-2011, 07:56 PM
I have been going through the brake job from hell on my 04 evo. Long story short one of the front caliper bleeder holes is stripped out. Tried cleaning out the threads and installing a new bleeder but still leaked fluid. I bought a "bleeder repair kit" from one of the auto parts stores -http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR3/13915.oap?pt=N0405&ppt=C0126
The smaller one is the same thread as stock and the larger one seems to be a little too big.
Anyone have a machine shop that can take care of this or ideas of something I can do myself? I was about to just tap and put a bolt in there, but I know I will hate myself next time I need to bleed the brakes.

88Nightmare
04-26-2011, 09:32 PM
If you drill and tap it out, cant you put a larger bleeder screw in there? Napa usually has loose bleeder screws of various sizes in stock.

I was just about to recommend a new caliper when I found that they are SUPER expensive

1320PNY
04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman/326/13949/10002/-1?CT=999

Then you can simply drill and tap the caliper. A drill press with a centering bit and some patience should be sufficient. We have the stuff in our shop, but I'm not home until Saturday. I suppose you want to go to RA?

73MACH
04-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Use a helicoil kit. I had this same problem on my calipers a couple of weeks ago and thanks to Durty Kurt's advice helicoiled both front calipers with ease and no leaks.

SSLEVO
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
They are brembos but can be had online for pretty cheap, you just have to know where to look.

Check out Evolutionm.net, by far the best forum for evos.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-suspension-brakes-handling-131-2.html

turbogarrett
04-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I had thought about the helicoil, but I am concerned with how well they'll hold up to flushing the fluid a few times a year.

As far as just installing a larger bleeder, if the conical seat doesn't match up perfectly the bleeder might leak fluid from the top.

Diamond auto in fondulac has some calipers listed for 200/ea, think I may just call them tomorrow.

SSLEVO
04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I had thought about the helicoil, but I am concerned with how well they'll hold up to flushing the fluid a few times a year.

As far as just installing a larger bleeder, if the conical seat doesn't match up perfectly the bleeder might leak fluid from the top.

Diamond auto in fondulac has some calipers listed for 200/ea, think I may just call them tomorrow.

If time is not an issue they can be had for 300-400 a set on evom (the link i posted) might not be a bad idea to have a spare set if you are tracking the car a lot

turbogarrett
04-30-2011, 12:52 PM
If time is not an issue they can be had for 300-400 a set on evom (the link i posted) might not be a bad idea to have a spare set if you are tracking the car a lot

Evom is the first place I checked, no front calipers or full sets were available. People seem to be installing these calipers on a variety of vehicles and driving up the price. Replacement caliper from diamond auto is installed and bleeders are all working 100%! Finally I can finish my 2.5 week brake job which cost me an additional 300 for 2 replacement calipers. :)

jamestown478
05-01-2011, 03:17 PM

I had this same issue with my porsche brembos. Total pain in the ass and kept leaking fluid. Finally said fuck it and bought a new one

SSLEVO
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Good deal, if you ever need any help with anything let me know, i'm far from an expert but i worked on mine quite a bit short of building the engine.