PDA

View Full Version : It's time for a drive...in a RX-7!

Prince Valiant
08-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Well, Andy and I met up at BW3's tonight for some late night eats and of course he is in the RX's.

Pulls by and the first impression is that it is a very nice car...very clean shape without any extra "busy"-ness of the spoiler, giving the car, IMO, a very athletic shape...not that the typical RX is anything but athletic....but this is just leaner, and meaner looking. Like a prize fight champion who went the extra mile to get in shape.

Andy complains that there are nicks and imperfections, but don't listen to him. When you walk by or it goes by, you'll like what you see. It's a clean car.

So this is my first time driving a RX and I am privileged enough to be driving a twin turbo to boot. First impression as you walk up is that you think "Hey! a 3/4 scale viper!" as both do bear numerous similarity's in shape.

You don't so much as sit in this car as you put it on...it's like a really tight pair of jeans for someone who is 6'2" and 185. However once your in you think to yourself "Damn...this looks good on me!" (of course, I pretty much make anything look good with me in it :goof )

The car just complete wraps around you...and in about 2 seconds everything becomes intuitive on the car...everything you need falls easily into your hands. This is a clear indication of what this car was meant for, that being very spirited driving...and against Andy's very vocal objections, spirited driving is what I did :rockwoot:

When you get on the gas, from about 1000-2000rpms isn't much to write home about...however from there on, it is quite nice...and very very stealthy.

Stealthy? Well, yeah. You have absolutely NO sense of the what RPMS the motor is turning from it's "feel". Being a rotary and it's inherently perfect balance means this thing is smooth beyond belief. Andy had to ask if that was the over rev alarm to which I said "I guess it was?"

All the while your going much faster than you anticipated going...this thing will move, as one would expect a higher 13 second car would.

Now, I've driven many higher rpm, tricky to launch motors before and one may think this would be one as well...however with the RWD this thing is an absolute breeze to launch. We tried a more aggressive launch and the thing just squated and bit hard...a little tire spin as the boost kicked in, but nothing uncontrolable.

The 1-2 shift is beyond belief easy and fast, and the 2-3 likewise...it was unfortunate that we discovered that The RX is suffering from an old and worn clutch however...the 2-3 revealed as much with the putrid smell of burning clutch :wow sorry andy :(

Prince Valiant
08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Never-the-less, one should expect that a car of this mileage and vintage would need a replacement and consequently one should be in soon enough :thumbsup

Now, many of YOU guys may ***** about "lack of torque" this and that (okay...I might of as well :goof)...actually it's not half bad! cruising at 2G in 4th revealed fairly decent power with just a little tip of the throttle. Don't get me wrong, it's not as good as a v8...but decent enough that a v8 guy such as myself could really appreciate it. There was nothing gutless about it.

The heartbreak of the night was that NOTHING was out and about....I wanted to get a feel for what it was like to drive a jap supercar, being as that is what most of the kids/fanboi's think is the "in" thing appearently...you know, maybe get one of those asian girls like in the rice magazines to jump in the car with us?

It was only a very brief drive...enough to get the impression that the RX is a VERY nice/fast car...feels tight and ready to perform with the greatest of ease...however, I am still orely disappointed that we didn't hook up with the asian chicks :(

Yooformula
08-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Nice write up! You need to do a write up for my car so I can see whats its like through someone else's eyes :thumbsup

Cryptic
08-13-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking once i ever develop the front page for this site, Chris is gonna have his own column fo' sho'

turbogarrett
08-13-2004, 03:02 PM
you gotta take it on some nice ,twisty country roads, that's where they really shine.

SMS 1
08-13-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking once i ever develop the front page for this site, Chris is gonna have his own column fo' sho'
Haha! No kidding Prince Valiant > Mr.Testdrive :thumbsup

Well your writeup made me feel like I jumped in the car with you if that makes you feel any better Chris! :rolf

Milw96Cobra
08-14-2004, 03:12 AM
I would trade my Cobra in a heartbeat for a RX7 thats in the same condition.

By far, in my mind, the 93-95 RX7 is the most beautiful car to grace the American roads.