PDA

View Full Version : Devaluation after an accident?

Larrygto
04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Alright so I get rear ended Sunday http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?51251-Whiplash!
Here's my question; Even if they fix it perfectly with no sign of damage what so ever, how much has it devalued my car? This car is only 7months old with 7500miles on it.
Guess I need to talk to a lawyer.

GTSLOW
04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I have no idea how much actual value is lost. But think about it from a dealership or person buying/taking the car on trade in. I've never really stayed away from cars that had been in an accident depending on how bad it was. However there's lots of people out there that hear accident and immediatly go to the next one.

PureSound15
04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
If I hear accident... I move on. Only because Im a perfectionist and can't trust the quality of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoxStang
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Best you can probably do is get it appraised from a dealership or find other cars online that had similar damage and compare the prices on it vs no damage. It's amazing how many people forget to go after devaluation damages after accidents, your definitely entitled to it.

tommyt5078
04-26-2011, 09:32 PM
I hate to say this, but you will not get anything extra because of this....................IMO your car has now been in an accident and will more then likely sell for less then a car like it that hasn't been in an accident.

Had the same problem...............but I will be driving this car until it dies!!!!!

KidCougar
04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
best bet is to rock it untill the wheels fall off..but private party sellers sometimes wont care, depends on the buyer..

BoosTT
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
I think its more of an issue now then ever... Even ebay lists all accidents. Kinda depends on the car too, for me atleast. If its the exact color, miles, and whatnot I want I'll overlook it.

FoxStang
04-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I hate to say this, but you will not get anything extra because of this....................IMO your car has now been in an accident and will more then likely sell for less then a car like it that hasn't been in an accident.

Had the same problem...............but I will be driving this car until it dies!!!!!
I think we're all in agreement, he needs to get extra out of the other party's insurance company to compensate him on his future loss.

KidCougar
04-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I think we're all in agreement, he needs to get extra out of the other party's insurance company to compensate him on his future loss.
thats what i was getting at when i said to go after the insurance company...

Waver
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
In most cases, if you plan on trading in the car at a dealership, they dont check the carfax. Only when the car is rather rare will they check it, and even then only about 10% of the time. I wouldnt mention it unless it was asked.

wrath
04-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Most insurance companies do it if you ask. If you don't, they don't.

Larrygto
04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Well first they claim they won't pay devaluation because there's no law. Now they say they don't have a devaluation adjuster and I'll have to find one file a claim and they might pay. What a bunch of assholes! :flipoff2:

Plum Crazy
04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Sue her for the original window sticker. If anyone hits my Challenger, that my plan.

Red97GTP
04-28-2011, 02:43 PM
It looks like its just cosmetic damage. I wouldn't worry about it losing much value if any at all. Just keep a copy of the estimate if anyone questions it when you're looking to sell the car or trade it in.

Larrygto
04-28-2011, 02:55 PM
If there's a carfax report on it there will be at least some devaluation.

GTSLOW
04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
If there's a carfax report on it there will be at least some devaluation.

And that's all it takes for some people.

drewbird91
12-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Any other advice on this? Did the OP get any money back? I also heard this called diminished value claim. Any other advice?

GHOSST
12-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Whoa old thread, lol. I have to be honest, when I'm broke I look for cars with damage history, just so I can get it under the normal value, I'm not picky. But I know resale will be hard, and I usually don't get the vehicle off until months later, patience is key with vehicles with damage history, but thast's it, I've sold 3 vehicles with salvage titles in my time for around or exactly what I wanted for it. The right buyer always seems to come along, whether its 2 months or 6.

I know this doesn't help you, but any kind of accident raises red flags imo. Usually when I'm in the market for a vehicle, I autocheck the ones that have been posted for awhile and its always some sort of damage history or emissions or registration history.

MurphysLaw88GT
12-21-2011, 12:06 AM

Larrygto
12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I have since sold the car for a fairly good price, I'm sure I would have got more had it not had a carfax on it.