PDA

View Full Version : Wraps VS paintjobs

KidCougar
04-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Ive been reading and seeing alot about "wrapping"..i could be using the wrong term.Its where they print a giant viynl print with a flat color or graphics on it and lay it over the car.My brother mentioned it also as an option for him todo to his car.Would these "wraps" be better than a paint job or could they fade or warp? and what cost less? I know wrapping is by far quicker so you think it would be cheaper.Anyone have any input on this?

pOrk
04-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Keep your dick hole opinions to yourself or contained to one thread, don't chase the guy all over the site to spew your senseless banter. Shut the fuck up.

Wraps are expensive and they do NOT look as good as paint, yes paint costs more but it lasts a LOT longer and it doesn't fade with time when taken care of.

xxtremeteam
04-23-2011, 06:00 PM
You also need amazing body work and prep under a wrap or the flaws will show just like paint

Sprayaway Fox
04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Just keep getting a bunch of JEGS stickers and keep overlapping them.:thumbsup

Al
04-23-2011, 07:20 PM
What type of detail are you looking for? You might just want to go vinyl.

badass88gt
04-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Apparently my reply is gone?

GTSLOW
04-23-2011, 07:55 PM
What happened in this thread? Some pm me :D

pOrk
04-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Shut up Nan, people are being retarded like usual. The bashing gets old...

wrath
04-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Wraps are good for about three years. They're great for leased work vehicles.

KidCougar
04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
so as a permanet thing? a paint job would be better i guess.I figures that maby they vinyl would fade.I had a print out just like they do for the wraps,but its in my back window and says COUGAR-XR7, its been there for about 2 years and it hasnt faded one bit or even peeled or bubbled in any spots..But i cant imagine how much stress it would take on large surface like a hood.In that show "inside westcoast customs" they are constantly using wraps.I guess it would be cool becuase you would be able to flip your car color over more easly i guess.But other than that,i think its best use is for decalls or small 1/4 pannels...

pOrk
04-24-2011, 11:13 AM
KidCougar, wraps are good for 3-5 years and even the vinyl on your back window will have a hard time lasting longer then 5-6 years. Paint is the same way without clear coat, the clear protects the color from the sun.

Scotty K wrapped his car last year or year before, ask him how its holding up. Just keep in mind his car is a race car, not a daily driver like yours so its going to see a LOT less of the elements.

Yooformula
04-24-2011, 11:34 AM
thread was cleaned up due to unwarranted posts. 2 threads of shit is enough, personal insults dont need to follow into every single thread made.

BR3W CITY
04-24-2011, 01:18 PM
wraps are perfect for large, detailed, TEMPORARY use. Have a work van and want to advertise? WRAP.
For a car tho, they really don't work like you'd want. I knew ricer kids that used them to get ridiculous graphics on the cars, but after a year or so they just didn't look right. Vinyl will have problems with cracking/warping and fading in direct sunlight, after a while.

lordairgtar
04-24-2011, 11:42 PM
just look at any older station wagon with woodgrain. It fades quicker than the paint.

Crawlin
04-25-2011, 06:52 AM
You also need amazing body work and prep under a wrap or the flaws will show just like paint

THIS

I've done full wraps on vehicles. I've done full wraps on advertising vehicles for companies, to the portable radio station booths for 102.9, 102.1, 96.5, blah blah blah. Done them to the milwaukee city buses with the culver's ads on them. Pretty much any size vehicle, even full size tour buses, I've done full wraps on.

If the prep and body work UNDER the wrap is crap, then the quality of the job will look like crap. You'll get the rust roughness showing through. Any dents or dings on the body work will show through. Any paint flaking or rust flaking, will prevent the adhesive from sticking to the rest of the body and you'll get where the stuff starts peeling back.

If you are doing a solid color, it's more expensive than a maaco paint job. If you do all sorts of custom graphics designed by the vinyl company on the CORRECT type of vinyl, you are gonna be in the couple grand area for a FULL wrap installed.

KidCougar
04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
exact info i was looking for "crawlin", thank you...