PDA

View Full Version : 99 silverado leaf spring question

Korndogg
04-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Ever since I replaced my shocks, I have been getting a chatter from the rear while going over bumps. I have been under the truck and can't find anything that is loose. The front and rear leaf bushings look ok, they are cracked but not falling apart or anything. I heard there was a problem with these trucks and the rubber insulators on the bottom spring but mine are all there. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to start looking at new springs? If that's the case I don't know if its even worth it.

outlawgibbs
04-24-2011, 10:38 AM
I dont know about your issue but ever since ive owned my truck when I leave a stop sign I will get a squeak and a small lug that feels like the rear axle is twisting under acceleration. Ive owned my 99 for 2 years and put around 50k miles on it and still havent figured out the issue.

It wont do it all the time and gets worse the harder you step on it.

BR3W CITY
04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
check the carrier bearing under the cab ^

Korndogg
04-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Ok so are there any vendors here that want to look at this before I take it somewhere else? (If any of them actually look in here haha) I don't even care if it is something stupid that I'm missing, I just can't take this noise anymore. It sounds like the damn rear end is going to fall out of my truck lol.

1320PNY
04-27-2011, 10:59 PM
The slip fit on the rear yoke tends to "pound" when there isn't any grease in the shaft coupling. (Something to this effect) Which is what happens when you do your own oil changes and don't hit all the zerk fittings (11 or so) when you do routine service 3,500 miles. I had my drive shaft removed and a rubber ball put in there and then greased the hell out of it and it was never an issue again. (2000 Z71)

Also, while you are under there, check the weight on your driveshaft is still "glued" on properly and you didn't throw it. I sent out my driveshaft and had it rebalanced in Green Bay (Brookside sent it out, Tech named John) and that was the smoothest 1500 around until I sold it.

Another thing is that damn "squeak" that was referred to under "launches" from stop lights. I got that all the time too, kind a "urnht" under hard acceleration from stop lights. I think that is something to do with the springs in the rear loading weird on the perches...never did figure that one out, but went away for a while after services to the truck.

Had the truck in the air about 3 days every month (under warranty) before I finally got rid of it. Was a nice truck, but the driveline was a pain. Had transmission bands (possibly my fault) replaced in 3rd a few times and blew the rear axle seals and leaked all the diff fluid into the brakes once. Truck is kinda a love it or leave it type vehicle.

Belt Tensioner every 50K, Driving Light burns out all the time, 5.3 ticks on cold starts for 30 seconds (put in 0-W40 full syn and fixed the "tick"), Headlight switch typical failure item, tailgate cables recalled - not stainless and rusted, and the stupid color coded air filter thing never changed.

Last of the "great" 1500s was 1998 and then got their stuff back together in 2004.

Korndogg
04-27-2011, 11:02 PM
The squeak under acceleration can be fixed by jacking the truck up and putting grease between the springs. It comes back every so often but that takes car of the problem. I just can't figure out my problem lol.

Korndogg
04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4Z32laoWvlg/TaEzIxgBeDI/AAAAAAAAAKs/gUHYeT8vm0Q/s1600/Okay_guy.jpg

Korndogg
04-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Well, figured it out. The bottom bushing on one of the shocks I put on about a month ago is apparently warn and therefore its bouncing all over the place. Just glad it's an easy fix.