PDA

View Full Version : Custome Down Pipe material quesiton..........

awsomeears
04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Looks like I'm re-doing some things to the Peon and the hardest thing would be the down pipe, I'm planning on purchasing what I need mocking and cutting it up and Tack welding it only then to take to a Good Tig welder.

What steel can I use, I wouldn't think standard exhaust pipe ????

BTW anyone tig weld on the side, someone I can just drop it off at expect it to be done in a few days ?

SSLEVO
04-21-2011, 10:01 PM
What is the rest of your exhaust system?

The most common material would probably be some 304 stainless, you can get bends and straight tubes all over online. You won't really be able to "tack" it together with a mig welder but i suppose you could try it. Who ever tig's it would have to grind the weld off after he tacked it.

If you want to mig weld it just get whatever size aluminized steel tubing you need. It's not pretty but will do the job. At that point you might as well mig weld the entire thing.

There are more than one vendor on the sight that could weld it or even do the whole thing.

awsomeears
04-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Hmmm I wouldn't think Aluminized steel right off the turbo would hold up.... but if you say it can be done I know I could do it, we have a nice welder at work. Plus my boss jay was a Mig welder for 20 years. Case a beer he could finish all the welds.

SSLEVO
04-21-2011, 11:29 PM
You are right, it's not ideal but it would work. I wouldn't expect it to last nearly as long as the stainless though, especially if you drive it in the winter.

awsomeears
04-22-2011, 07:24 AM
You are right, it's not ideal but it would work. I wouldn't expect it to last nearly as long as the stainless though, especially if you drive it in the winter.

I maybe drive it 1,000 miles per year :) so I'll just google exhaust pieces, I'll check local prices 1st..

Dr.Buick
04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
my whole exhaust is aluminum 5 inch right off the turbo nice and light

WickedSix
04-22-2011, 11:16 AM
you can make good welds on stainless using a mig and you can certainly tack it together to have someone else weld it you just need the right wire in the machine along with the right mixed gas. 308 or 316 wire with trimix or a high argon content mixed bottle 98 argon - 2 Co2 would be my choice

awsomeears
04-22-2011, 02:05 PM
my whole exhaust is aluminum 5 inch right off the turbo nice and light

5"............. Shits weak !!!

Really 5" jesus !!!